2001 S281 to Twin Turbo project

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, good stuff CW. Rarely will you find a magazine that will bite the hand that feeds it. The best information you can get is from people that actually use these parts and have experience with what they will tolerate. That is why racers and builders are your best source of info.

BTW, when are you done with school?

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Well, I saw my first real action the weekend before last (worth talking about anyway) Sorry I couldn't post earlier but work has been a zoo.
A friend of mine has a Nissan 240 with a Skyline engine in it and he has been itching for a run since he heard my car was done. We did some freeway runs (60mph roll ons) and I walked from him. He is only running 9 psi though and he has the R34 ball bearing turbos so I am sure he can crank it up to like 15 or more psi and that thing will be nuts. He was foolish for wanting to do roll ons though. That is where my car does the best. 1st and 2nd gear are too short now (with that much power) so 3rd and 4th (when the gears get longer) is when my car really disappears. My buddy also had his hopped up 3rd gen RX-7 out and another guy had a fully built turboed civic (don't worry, I crushed the civic badly - in fact the last time he tried to go, he broke his shift linkage). The coolest run was probably when my buddy (RX-7) and I were lining them up for a go and that tard in the civic tried to roll by. My buddy got mad (not wanting to get passed by a civic - understandably) and he hammered it. I then had to play catch up - it didn't take long though. As he was walking by the civic, I was walking by him. It was pretty sweet.

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
^^sounds like u got a couple friends with some reasonbly respectable ricers....cept for that civic...i jus dont understand tuning those cars.
Greg

whippleblown03

Established Member
if you are playing around in oly some time drop me a PM i could be up there in 30 minutes ! would love to just watch if not play with some imports! :beer:

01Saleen said:
Well, I saw my first real action the weekend before last (worth talking about anyway) Sorry I couldn't post earlier but work has been a zoo.
A friend of mine has a Nissan 240 with a Skyline engine in it and he has been itching for a run since he heard my car was done. We did some freeway runs (60mph roll ons) and I walked from him. He is only running 9 psi though and he has the R34 ball bearing turbos so I am sure he can crank it up to like 15 or more psi and that thing will be nuts. He was foolish for wanting to do roll ons though. That is where my car does the best. 1st and 2nd gear are too short now (with that much power) so 3rd and 4th (when the gears get longer) is when my car really disappears. My buddy also had his hopped up 3rd gen RX-7 out and another guy had a fully built turboed civic (don't worry, I crushed the civic badly - in fact the last time he tried to go, he broke his shift linkage). The coolest run was probably when my buddy (RX-7) and I were lining them up for a go and that tard in the civic tried to roll by. My buddy got mad (not wanting to get passed by a civic - understandably) and he hammered it. I then had to play catch up - it didn't take long though. As he was walking by the civic, I was walking by him. It was pretty sweet.

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Sounds good Bul. Most of the time it is just spur of the moment stuff (whenever the weather is good). I will keep you posted though.
I have my engine lined up for next summer. The guys at VT are hooking me up:

"New Iron block, forged Cobra crank, forged Manley rods, Diamond forged pistons, file fit rings, ARP main and head studs, HV oil pump and pickup, fully ported Stage 2 CNC heads, Ferrea stainless valves, Comp valve springs, VT Custom billet Turbo cams, new timing components (chains,guides,tensioners,etc) new valve covers, new oil pan and new timing cover. All completely assembled from valve covers to oil pan...just drop it in the car. Forged bottom end is good for 700hp and 7500rpm. That would be one badass motor...."-Jim at VT engines

I can't wait. Unfortunately, I am lining up a house in the spring so I can't crank up the credit card until that goes through.

C Weil

Established Member
Haha, fine, sure, i understand, go VT if you want! :p Hey, even ask Jim- he'll recommend me. :)

Why do the iron block? If you want, I can give you one of the Teksid's I have to send over to Jim/VT. That would be even better!

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
My bad CW. Can you hook me up with the full meal deal (block, heads, cams, oil pump???). I guess I thought you were just talking blocks?
nothing personal...PMing

C Weil

Established Member
LOL, nono, I was just ribbing you. I talk to Jim from time to time-they're great guys, and there's nothing wrong with them at all. Sorry, didn't mean to sound serious at all, I wasn't! Haha. It actually is probably a good idea to go with them if you want it to be set up before summer- I may be in Europe this summer working for Red Bull Racing.

I'll check my PMs. :)

C Weil

Established Member
Oh yeah, sorry guys, I'll get there!!! Getting my butt kicked by thermodynamics at the moment, so it's been a little in-and-out here.

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Ha ha! Thermo! I remember that class. You in college right now? Where? What are you studying?

C Weil

Established Member
Stanford university, BS/MS in mechanical engineering, minor in electrical. The class is actually "Advanced Thermodynamic studies of IC and Jet Propulsion Engines". I haven't decided whether I want to focus my major towards vehicle dynamics or thermo/fluid dymanics (you're supposed to state a specificity eventually), but as for now I'm sort of doing both.

I'll probably end up being a glorified machinist/mechanic, but hey, it's good to be educated. It's not so bad down here- I've been doing some work for a place off campus that does engine building and chassis fabrication for sprint cars, so there's a fair bit of familiarity. Pays better than anything on campus, so I guess ASE certification really did come in handy!

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
That is pretty sweet. I wanted to do something in Auto too (going in), but once I saw how huge the ME field was, it was all interesting to me. I took an IC class, advanced aero, and advanced fluids as some of my electives to my BS (in ME from WSU). Now I am a Nuclear Engineer (go figure?!).
How much more you have left? Are you going to stay down there (Cali) or you wanting to come home?

Users who are viewing this thread