2002 Camaro with Acura RSX Type-S Seats

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just curious what shifter you're using. And is that shifter knob from a 2003-2004 Cobra?

Formula51

Established Member
Just curious what shifter you're using. And is that shifter knob from a 2003-2004 Cobra?

Shifter is a factory Hurst short shifter with a Lou's short stick. The shift knob is a C6 Corvette knob threaded to fit the F-body shift lever. I had the shift boot custom made by Redline Performance Goods for the shorter shifter and that is also where I got the matching armrest cover.

Formula51

Established Member
Real nice improvements, great job! A suede/leather wrapped wheel would compliment very nicely. Would a c6 steering wheel fit by chance?

Not sure if a C6 wheel would fit, but I would have to maintain the airbag for safety reasons and insurance claims if ever in an accident. I think Momo makes an aftermarket wheel with an airbag even. The stock steering wheel is very comfortable, but a little large in diameter so going to a smaller wheel would be nice.

oilwell1415

Established Member
That looks much better than I thought it would. I had forgotten how blah the plain stock seats were. The only thing else you need is the TA instrument cluster bezel to set off the gauges a little more.

Is that a 1LE by chance?

One thing I don't like is aluminum, and thin aluminum even, for seat brackets. There's a reason factory seat mounts are steel. A 300 lb load is also nowhere near what the actual loads will be when driving. You'll see 300lbs of force on the brackets just driving over normal bumps in the road at normal speed. When driving aggressively it will be much higher than that and if you are in an accident 300lbs is absolutely nothing. Small airplane seat brackets are beefier than that and they are designed to give way in a crash.

Formula51

Established Member
That looks much better than I thought it would. I had forgotten how blah the plain stock seats were. The only thing else you need is the TA instrument cluster bezel to set off the gauges a little more.

Is that a 1LE by chance?

One thing I don't like is aluminum, and thin aluminum even, for seat brackets. There's a reason factory seat mounts are steel. A 300 lb load is also nowhere near what the actual loads will be when driving. You'll see 300lbs of force on the brackets just driving over normal bumps in the road at normal speed. When driving aggressively it will be much higher than that and if you are in an accident 300lbs is absolutely nothing. Small airplane seat brackets are beefier than that and they are designed to give way in a crash.

This is 3" x 3" x 0.25" 6061-T6 hardneed aluminum. Some properties are about as strong as mild steel. I would have to go check again, but I am almost positive this is stronger than 0.125" mild steel brackets which is most of what is on the market and thicker than the factory seat steel. Most "side mount" brackets for racing seats are made from angle aluminum as well. That is essentially what I have done here.

300lbs. point load (on each bracket) was just to look at pure bending and was taken at the edge of the bracket to be conservative. In reality it will not be a point load or at the edge of the bracket.

The factory Camaro seats are mounted to the rails with only 4 bolts in shear, any bending is done by the seat bottoms themselves, which are very flimsy. These brackets and mounting method put that to shame.

My wife, brother, myself, etc. will be riding in these seats. I can assure you they are FAR safer and more thoughout/analyzed than the brackets Sparco and others sell for their seats. Not to mention the seats themselves are safer being an OEM seat. I have my Masters in ME, this is not some hobbled together backyard job.

I would be happy to check any loads you would like to consider.

Last edited:

SVTContique

Only thing i hate about those cars is the factory stereo and the steering wheel. The Wheel is just horrible and one of the worst parts about driving an F-body

Formula51

Established Member
Seat_Brackets_Race_LRG.jpg

Seat_Brackets_Racing_Spec_LRG.jpg

FIA approved:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection4.asp?Product=OMP-HC/666E/LE

I'll trust my life to my brackets over these any day.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Only thing i hate about those cars is the factory stereo and the steering wheel. The Wheel is just horrible and one of the worst parts about driving an F-body

Horrible how? In looks? It feels great compared to other cars I have owned/driven. Good thickness, indexing bumps, nice placement relative to the door armrest and center console armrest for cruising with one hand, good visibility of gauges etc. It is a little boring/ugly, but a nice wheel otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread