2004 cobra stock block limits

svt4.6snake

The weather man said theres a light chance of snow
Established Member
Hey guys with a stock block what's the horsepower limits. No girdle just a stock block. What's the breaking point. Thanks guys!!!!

Zemedici

Established Member
ive got MINIMUM of 10 customers making over 1000rwrhp with STOCK MOTORS

bingo, not to mention a cobra under 400whp is laughed at :( :D

Forged motors, sturdy transmission, just look to replace springs with aggessive cams for added security, etc. Be sure to plan your build out, and have supporting mods from the get go. :beer:

Mod away! If you break a mod motor, or a t56, you were doing something wrong

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
When someone claims how much power a Terminator engine can hold my first question would be: "for how long?". Almost any engine can get a huge flash reading on a dyno but try sustaining that beyond 5 seconds would have me hiding under a desk waiting for the inevitable "BOOM!" :uh oh:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
AED has done a few 750+rwhp cars on stock motors.. One is making 815rwhp stock motors but with ARP 2000 headstuds.. on E85 and 24psi 2.9 crusher and reg 2.9's as well..

Actually after like 21 psi they like doing headstuds for peace in mind.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Blocks themselves are good for over 1,000 all day long. Not sure if your asking about stock shortblock or the block itself.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
When someone claims how much power a Terminator engine can hold my first question would be: "for how long?". Almost any engine can get a huge flash reading on a dyno but try sustaining that beyond 5 seconds would have me hiding under a desk waiting for the inevitable "BOOM!" :uh oh:

all my customers making over 1000rwhp did it for at least 3yrs... i have about 5 that are going on well over 5yrs

SlowSVT

Established Member
all my customers making over 1000rwhp did it for at least 3yrs... i have about 5 that are going on well over 5yrs

I don't think you understand what I was getting at. Ask your customers to strap their cars down onto a dyno and bury the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there and see what their reaction will be. How long do you believe even a built engine never mind a stock block will last?

I've ridden in some high calorie Terminators that were well below that power level and the tires would spin well before the engine peaked even at 100 mph. Trust me their engine rarely if ever see 1000 hp on the street, the car would be sideway long before it got there.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I don't think you understand what I was getting at. Ask your customers to strap their cars down onto a dyno and bury the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there and see what their reaction will be. How long do you believe even a built engine never mind a stock block will last?

I've ridden in some high calorie Terminators that were well below that power level and the tires would spin well before the engine peaked even at 100 mph. Trust me their engine rarely if ever see 1000 hp on the street, the car would be sideway long before it got there.

what on earth are you rambling about? a dyno is a tuning tool, you make pulls you dont hold the pedal to the floor past the limit and try and get things to blow up.

I think we need to know if the op is talking about the stock BLOCK, or the stock shortblock. big difference there.

Zemedici

Established Member
what on earth are you rambling about? a dyno is a tuning tool, you make pulls you dont hold the pedal to the floor past the limit and try and get things to blow up.

I think we need to know if the op is talking about the stock BLOCK, or the stock shortblock. big difference there.

This.:beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member

:nono:

UNTRUE!

Dyno's are also used (by every major automaker) to qualify an engine for durability and is very punishing on the engine. Ford blew up quite a number of Terminator engines on one to confirm the engine will survive before releasing it to production.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member

i drive my terminator around at WOT for 84 seconds and hit 2.2 jigawatts... and it doesnt break...

ctgreddy

Established Member
:nono:

UNTRUE!

Dyno's are also used (by every major automaker) to qualify an engine for durability and is very punishing on the engine. Ford blew up quite a number of Terminator engines on one to confirm the engine will survive before releasing it to production.

sure, but when's the last time you've heard of anyone wanting this done on a modified engine? nobody. When a car gets built/tuned you make pulls in 4th and tweak things. You dont hold it wide open or at 6k rpm for extended periods of time just to see if there's a weak link. I think 3 years at 1k whp is more than most expect, you dont make 1k hp then expect it to have the reliability of a bone stock 03 cobra lol.

SlowSVT

Established Member
sure, but when's the last time you've heard of anyone wanting this done on a modified engine? nobody. When a car gets built/tuned you make pulls in 4th and tweak things. You dont hold it wide open or at 6k rpm for extended periods of time just to see if there's a weak link. I think 3 years at 1k whp is more than most expect, you dont make 1k hp then expect it to have the reliability of a bone stock 03 cobra lol.

You are correct. No one is going to build an expensive engine then strap it on a dyno then push the engine until breaks which defeats the purpose of building it in the first place. On the other hand when an engine builder advertises an engine rating is 1000 hp, what the F#&K does that mean? If it can survive doing that for 5 seconds before it scatters itself in all directions does that mean it passed the test and is acceptable to the customer or does it need to sustain that power level for 20 seconds before it self destructs? Ford testing requirements for production engines is the motor needs to endure running between max RPM and max load for a full 20 minutes which even the stock 390 hp Terminator engine most likely wouldn't survive that long which they got a waiver on since the fuel tank the car is equipped with would have been empty long before the 20 minute threshold was reached.

So from Ford's perspective our engine is rated for 390 hp not 1000 using their criteria. If a dyno operator told you he was going to hold the throttle wide open on your engine for even 30 seconds at 1000 hp you would absolutely freak out and chances are it won't even last 10 seconds before your very expensive engine blows up.

You see what I'm getting at here?

When an engine builder says his customers 1000 hp engines have been in service over 3 years is meaningless as that does not take into account the frequency and duration the owners actually runs that engine at full output which on the street will be a very rare occurrence at that power level and for a very brief duration as the tires just spin before he backs off for fear of something dreadful happening. Putting it on a dyno is the real acid test not some bloke tooling around on the street in his hot rod!

From another perspective the P-51 Mustang Flight Manual cautions the pilot not to exceed the Emergency War Power Setting (full power) of the Merlin V-1650 engine for more than 5 minutes total which will damage the engine requiring a major overhaul and that engines output is extremely tame compared to ours.

The bottom line is WOT duration is a big factor when rating an engine and not whether what I can briefly achieve max power. Determining an engine rating is very murky territory :nonono:

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
when buster had his sonic blue single turbo cobra, if I remember correctly, he went through a few built motors. He then ended up going back to a stock cobra block and all was fine. wild right.

some cobras have over 100,000 miles that are twinscrewed and still running 10's with stock motor. Our motors can handle the power. There not bullet proof but they can hold there own.

My car has been from the 400, 500, 600, and now 700++rwhp for the past 11 years. still going strong.

randoo

Established Member

^yeah:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread