2007-2009 vs 2011-2012 GT500

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I'm in a little dilemma. I had found the perfect GT500 for me, only about 5,000 miles, bone stock, and babied all its life, always in a heated garage, etc., for only $32,000. A little pricey considering the year, but it's been completely unmolested. The only issue is that the clutch TSB was never performed due to the car never having any issues. Down the road however, I might have to change it myself if the issue presents itself.

I now saw that qnitro updated his listing on his 2011, and he's now at $34,500, and he replaced his clutch and flywheel. He's at around 33,000 miles.

They're both the same color I want, so that's not an issue. My concern is that because qnitro's wasn't bone stock, he was pushing around 661 RWHP, that the car most likely wasn't babied. His car is now back to mostly stock, but the (most likely) hard miles have already been added.

I originally wanted a 2011, but when I saw the prices they were going for, all about $37,000+, I decided on the '07-'09 model. Now that I found a 2011 at a still obtainable price range, I'm torn!

I guess my question is, is the $2,500 difference worth it, considering the mileage difference and how both cars were driven by their owners?

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It really depends what you want the 11-12 had the aluminum block an electric steering. An in stock forum the 11-12 are faster an handle better all around. But if you have plans to mod an change the things you want then you can't go wrong with the 07-09.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
That's the thing, I do want a 2011/2012 over a 2007-2009. The reason for the dilemma is that I wanted a stock one, and the '11 I linked was just only returned to stock. With all the mods it once had, there's a good chance it was driven hard. This is probably the first '11 I've found at this price, but once again, it wasn't unmolested lol. But the price is so desirable...

nxhappy

Established Member
if it's used, it's molested lol. If the cars runs good, and has low miles, I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I like the 07-09 body style more.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
33k is a drop in a lake on these cars. Also all of the hard miles of the 33k parts are off the car if it has been return to stock. The tremec 6060 giggles at those miles. And if he changed out the clutch and flywheel, well that is a bonus because most likely its a Mcleod RXT or a Spec SS which is what you want anyway.

I say if you wanted the 11~12 style and car, and that price is right, then go for it. As I stated earlier, 33k is a drop in the bucket.

tvspower

Established Member
I own an 08....IMHO .. 07-09 best appearance...... on the 11 ... miles to me mean a lot.....Not knowing how the miles were put on would worry me.....07-09 low miles stock clutch ..my choice.... Drive her till she needs a clutch and then MOD AWAY.......The 11 turned back to stock?????? Maybe the owner recouped $$$ form mods...... Or unknown problems until you buy it.....Drive both and get a feel then have an experienced SVT person go over the 11..... I cannot think of any other issue than the clutch TSB for the 07-09 yrs.... Good luck......

TVS VERT

Established Member
Big difference in driven hard and abused.....love 07-09 body style in certain colours, Black and Dark Grey Especially.....my suggestion is to drive both and come up with the decision yourself.....but IMO no way i would go with a 07-09 body style over the newer 2011 and up style its a far superior car.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I agree with TVS Vert, +11 up is a better car. No way around that. 100 lbs off the front end is a lot of weight and they're more comfortable. I will say that 07-09 does always catch my eye no matter what color, probably because there's a bigger difference between the non shelby and shelbys for that body style than compared to the newer ones. I would go with the 2011 being within only a few thousand dollars. What do youu plan on doing with the car?

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
The car will be my daily driver, and I'm planning on modding it myself. I want a car that I can drive all day on the streets, then take it to the drag and run at least 11s on street tires. I also want to take it to the track and have some real fun! This is where the '11 will outshine the '07-'09s.

The reason I wanted a stock one is to make it my own. Plus, I wanted it to not be ridden hard as to avoid problems in the future, and that way any problems that do arise are my fault, and it'll be easier to diagnose.

Anyway, it'll be my daily driver until I buy another 4 banger for the daily commute...which probably won't be for a while.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Like you said, if you want to do track racing with it the 11 will be better. I think you need to weigh which is more important, track racing or daily driving. Also those two don't mix very well so don't run it too hard at the track, either one. 11's come with a factory wideband which doesn't seem like a huge deal but it is nice to have. They also have more internal engine sensors if I'm not mistaken which cannot be added unlike the wideband. That 11 you posted is a really nice car and I think it seems to have been well taken care of despite the mods. People do actually mod cars and not beat the daylights out of them. I would choose the 11, well I already did actually :)

michael kellam

Established Member
i read the listing for the 11 and it looks solid to me. it has the RXT clutch which will save you a good chunk of change. i would go that route and try to negotiate some of the take offs like the H/E for example.

if his sig. picture is showing his cars ( viper GTS, Z06, GT500 ) then you are probably going to get the full disclosure when you ask the good questions.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
For a daily driver with a little track use, I would go with the 2011. You will enjoy the electronics package and other bells and whistles that come with it. If you are going to mod heavily, you could make the 07-09 just as quick and turn as good as any other year. I like my 2008 because it is bare-bones power and performance, just a/c and Shaker stereo; it is all about the driver and the car, which I enjoy. And over the years, I have improved the performance and handling to suit my driving style perfectly... but mine is a weekend car, not a daily driver.

DGladhill

Established Member
For a daily driver with a little track use, I would go with the 2011. You will enjoy the electronics package and other bells and whistles that come with it. If you are going to mod heavily, you could make the 07-09 just as quick and turn as good as any other year. I like my 2008 because it is bare-bones power and performance, just a/c and Shaker stereo; it is all about the driver and the car, which I enjoy. And over the years, I have improved the performance and handling to suit my driving style perfectly... but mine is a weekend car, not a daily driver.

This. People can say X year is better for Y, but most people mod the hell out of these cars and you can make it ride "better", be just as quick, etc. As for ride quality, I've taken my '07 on a few 3-6 hour road trips and it's been great so I'm not really sure on that :shrug: I've put right around 7k miles on my car in the year I've had it and it's been a blast both pre and post mods. :rockon:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
That's the thing, I do want a 2011/2012 over a 2007-2009. The reason for the dilemma is that I wanted a stock one, and the '11 I linked was just only returned to stock. With all the mods it once had, there's a good chance it was driven hard. This is probably the first '11 I've found at this price, but once again, it wasn't unmolested lol. But the price is so desirable...

Sounds like you already made up your mind then get the 11+. Its better for a DD. I wouldn't DD my 2008 its not what I bought it/set it up for.

sedanman

Established Member
For me the 07-09 looks a lot better, but the 11+ car is a better car. I went with the 08 because I can add the goodies to the 08, but can't fix the look of the 10+ cars.

TheGovernment

Established Member
Personally I think you'd be crazy to get the 2011 with 33K vs a 5K mile 08. You could offer 30K cash and get the 08..... but thats just me. I went through the exact same thing when I bought my 08. I had my choice between 2 black 500's, an 11 with 40K for $33,000 and a 08 with 11K for $30,000.
I drove them both, both ran and drove fine but knowing the 08 wasn't modded with anything but a CAI and a pulley, it was an easy choice for me, I'm gonna mod the crap out of it anyways lol

Users who are viewing this thread