2009 Hyundai Elantra restoration project!

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring Edition
61,000 miles

During Hurricane Irma my mother’s husband lent Mrs. Sizzle their extra vehicle to use. (I could not get the garage doors open due to the power outage that we experienced as well as the numerous outdoor items that were placed inside the garage that were blocking our vehicles in. So as a ‘thank you’ I mentioned that I would detail his vehicle for him.

7 years old, a few miles, always kept outside and it has never, ever been waxed/polished/etc. It was in pretty bad condition.

It was covered in major swirls, scuffs, paint transfer from unknown objects hit/rubbed against, some serious scratching, water spots and it had clear failure on the mirrors and door handles along with the black trim being hammered and the roof rack hardware’s finish flaking off. It was also covered in canon fungus and the windows were filthy, both inside and out.

I had some new goodies from Blackfire to use (thanks again Meghan!) and knew I could make this thing look so much better as well as put some protection on the paintwork.

Process/chemicals/tools/etc:

Waterless wash with McKees N914.
Clayed with Optimum nano bar heavy.
Dodo Born Slippery as clay lube.
Rupes MkII 21.
Griot’s 6”.
Misc MF towels.
Defelsko paint gauge.
Surfbuf pads.
Red generic foam polishing pads.
Red hydrotech finishing pad for LSP application.
NEW Blackfire Compound.
Spot compounded some heavier scratches with Griot’s MF pad and M101.
NEW Blackfire Polish.
Final wipe-McKees N914.
LSP-Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection.
Tire dressing: Blackfire.
Glass cleaner: NEW Blackfire Glass Cleaner.
Dedicated MF glass towels.
Metro vacuum.
NEW Blackfire Interior Cleaner on interior plastics/vinyl surfaces.

Thanks for looking!

As delivered:​

DSCN9288-XL.jpg

DSCN9289-XL.jpg

DSCN9291-XL.jpg

DSCN9292-XL.jpg

Defects:

DSCN9290-XL.jpg

DSCN9293-XL.jpg

DSCN9294-XL.jpg

DSCN9295-XL.jpg

DSCN9296-XL.jpg

DSCN9298-XL.jpg

DSCN9297-XL.jpg

DSCN9299-XL.jpg

[/SIZE]

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I wish I had your patience and tenacity when it comes to detailing. You do great work. There is a big difference between a car wash and what you do.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Wow, you really cleaned that thing up...

Also, am I seeing that right? Is that 8.9mils? I'd have to assume this car had body work done at one point, no?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
hell of a job as always

Ive got to admit, when I saw the thread title my first thought was "who the hell would pay as much as that has to cost for THAT car?!?" Then I saw the explanation.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Thanks all. LOL DSG!!! That made me laugh!

offroad: Yep, that b!tch had some paint/clear on her! I do not remember him saying anything about any paint work in the past, but that f@cker drives like Mr. Magoo so I wouldn't rule it out! ROFL!

hoamskilet

Established Member
Considering the cars that you typically do, that had to be a grind working on that turd haha. Nice cleanup

beau t

Established Member
Awesome job! What did you do for the tail lights and does it also work that good on headlights?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
^^^^I used the same polish/pad as I did on the paint on the tail lights.
No, it works better on the tails. It will give you some clarity/results on head lights.

beau t

Established Member
^^^^I used the same polish/pad as I did on the paint on the tail lights.
No, it works better on the tails. It will give you some clarity/results on head lights.

i will give it a try ((can't mess them up any worse lol)). thanks for the info!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like that this is an example of more of an every day older driver's car that just needed some TLC. Detailing work like this isn't restricted to higher end vehicles. Heck, it you have a 6 year+ old car and you intend to keep it awhile longer, why not spend a few hundred on a thorough detailing job. IMO with the results seen here, it is money well spent. Also would be smart to do this when you're putting a mechanically sound older car up for sale. Potential customers will pay a lot more attention to a nicely DETAILED (not just a good wash) car than one with very visible grime, scratches, etc.

Awesome job Scott!

Users who are viewing this thread