200mph

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I'm not starting a war here, just asking a question. Does anybody think the Shelby right from the factory is really going to be able to run 200MPH? I have my doubts. I'm not sure that 560 or 570 RWHP or wherever it will be at is enough to get such a tank to that MPH.?

It we be quite the accomplishment if it happens for sure!

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Seriously? Do you think they would say that it does if it didn't?

And yes, the car in 100% factory form has already been driven over 200 mph at Nardo by Gene Martindale.

peteypab2133

Established Member
I think so. Gearing and Aero at times is more important than HP. I have been in 03/04 cobras with the tach pinned with stock blowers and a lot less HP.

My evo made just under 700whp and on my GPS hit 187 before I got nervous and backed out.. I really think it will be possible. But who has the nads to do it?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
LOL, I wouldnt have the nads..... DBK, didn't know this has been done already. It's one thing for the computer models to say it's possible, and another thing to actually go out and do it. Do you have a link to that story?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
you must be confusing Ford claims with that of GM.....however I can understand your skepticism....

I dont think it will hit it in a standing mile, however with enough room I think it will. The media article released by MSN yesterday eluded to the car hitting 140 mph in third gear....do the math. They also said 200 is reached in 5th, 6th is there as a overdrive gear. Im sure someone will attempt it though so stay tuned

when Ford marketed the car they referenced hitting the mark at the nardo ring, at 202 mph before shutting it down. No video available for that, its a Ford claim obviosuly but DBK has intimate knowledge of the car....trust his word

Last edited:

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I don't think Ford would have advertised that the car would go 200 mph if it was not capable of doing so. I can;t wait to see the youtube videos.....:poke:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
LOL, I wouldnt have the nads..... DBK, didn't know this has been done already. It's one thing for the computer models to say it's possible, and another thing to actually go out and do it. Do you have a link to that story?

"According to Martindale, the Shelby works very well at 200 mph, as proven at the Nardo track in Italy. Rear downforce is enhanced by a modest-appearing spoiler, with a small Gurney flap at the top—the least aggressive of the three flaps the team tested. Up front, there’s a splitter and small aero tweaks to the other horizontal surfaces, such as the bottom of the grille opening. Each surface has a slight upturn at its trailing edge to enhance downforce."

I think they went like 202 when they were over there.

peteypab2133

Established Member
I don't think Ford would have advertised that the car would go 200 mph if it was not capable of doing so. I can;t wait to see the youtube videos.....:poke:

well start stacking your pennies. I think there are going to be a few good part outs when owners get the ok to sell parts from the totaled ones!!!

But then again, maybe the only parts worth buying after a 200mph crash would be wheel bearings and the cf drive shaft lol

roger1197

Established Member
My stock Ford GT @ 550 hp was easy at 205+, with some basic mods @ 620 hp it got there quicker & that was technology from 2004

:rockon:

higherarcing

fabricator
Established Member
I think a bone stock one will do it, on the right day, in the right conditions.
It isn't a 220 moh car, so don't kid yourselves into thinking you jump in and hit 200 on that empty road. The fact is they built the car for it, so you don't have to worry about any issues when you get over 150. That to me is what matters. No more driveshaft destruction, or bad vibrations,etc.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
It hit 202mph on the Nardo ring, anything over 150mph and you start loosing efficiency on Nardo do to the banked track and having to turn the wheel. I think it would hit over 202mph on the salt flats.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
It will do 200mph...it just takes it about 5 miles to get there. lol.

I think alot of people get the number a lil amped up thinking it's doing it in the standing mile or something since thats the new thing in racing. But it will not do 200mph in the standing mile.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
Speed

I ran the Pocono Tri-oval today in my Boss302.It has track key,trans scoop and brake cooling ducts,nothing else.I was able to do 155 on the front straight and the Long pond straight.Add a 50% power increase and 200 should not be a problem.

Penemyone

Established Member
I believe it can over a long distance. I just hope no one tries this on public roads. :nono:

10 G37 Vert (F-22)
09 G8 GT (B-2)
07 F-150 S/C (B-52)
99 Stang GT 35th Anniv. Pack (Millennium Falcon)

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Hell, my 2012 Impalla police car with the HO V6, with the weight of all the gear and equipment, will run 150 mph under good conditions....I have no doubt in my mind the new Shelby will hit 200.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
I ran the Pocono Tri-oval today in my Boss302.It has track key,trans scoop and brake cooling ducts,nothing else.I was able to do 155 on the front straight and the Long pond straight.Add a 50% power increase and 200 should not be a problem.

It will definitely do it as stated above, but don't think it will even come close to 200 at Pocono.... not even close.

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
The car will do it - the question is how many drivers will? Finding a place to run one up to 200+ is going to be the hard part for me, I may try it with mine if I can find a place to do it safely and legally. There are some really nice stretches here in Texas, I-10 towards El Paso comes to mind, but I think that most authority figures would frown on vehicles pushing 200MPH :)

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The car will do it - the question is how many drivers will? Finding a place to run one up to 200+ is going to be the hard part for me, I may try it with mine if I can find a place to do it safely and legally. There are some really nice stretches here in Texas, I-10 towards El Paso comes to mind, but I think that most authority figures would frown on vehicles pushing 200MPH :)

+1 :thumbsup:

I hit the speed limiter on mine there driving from Arizona to Texas. She still had ALOT left in her. :rolling:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread