2010-2011 Mustang owners. JL Audio Stealthbox users.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
It's not terribly hard to do a cheaper build yourself, but it will take quite a bit of time. I just finished up my stereo build a few weeks ago and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out but I invested a LOT of hours into it. I used a 24" diameter sonotube and fiberglassed the bottom of the spare tire well and then used two sheets of 3/4" mdf to cap the top where a Sundown Audio SA-12 and Eclipse 5 channel amp are mounted. I then built some custom brackets to mount some Image Dynamics 6.5" components into the doors and matching coaxials in the rear deck.

I didn't lose more than an inch or so of my trunk and I think it sounds pretty damn good. It was my first experience with fiberglass and I really think it's something that most anyone who is (somewhat) handy with tools could do themselves over a few weekends. Just something to think about if you're considering going the DIY route.

Fiberglass/mdf ($100) + mid-grade sub ($150ish) + decent amp ($150ish) = ~$400

Stealthbox = $700

It's really up to you how much of your time that $300 is worth.

$300 is worth any amount of time to me lol Not to mention I love carpentry and building things.

That's an interesting idea using sonotube instead of fiberglassing the entire well. I'm looking to get the most I can out of it so I'll be glassing the whole thing. Glad to see someone else on here using a sundown product. I've always been impressed with the performance of the SA series. I plan to test with a SA 15 sealed in the well after trying some custom 8s I've built. I'll also be using ID components up front and everything will be powered by a nine.5

My time worth money. $700 for a stealthbox that installed in 30 mins. Better than trying to make something myself. There's also resale value there.

anything someone builds specific for this car will have the same proportional resale value as long as its quality work. Hell a spare tire enclosure may even fit another cars spare tire well so it would have better resale ability.

I don't think anyone is complaining. Just showing that there are more options out there. We're always looking for "bang for your buck" mods on here. Why not have someone elaborate on the audio side. With enough money you could build a Geo metro to perform better than a Lamborghini...

Correct. No one was complaining. I simply want to enlighten other about the options that are available. I'm all about the best bang for the buck.

Galimore

Established Member
I plan to test with a SA 15 sealed in the well after trying some custom 8s I've built. I'll also be using ID components up front and everything will be powered by a nine.5

You'll probably have to have the enclosure sticking up a few inches from the well in order to get it to fit. Mine sits flush (with a layer of dampener under it) and I had to mount the sub off center near the edge of my sonotube to get it to fit and even then there's maybe 1/4" of depth left. The components are excellent but they're a bit of a pain as well. If you reuse the plastic mounts from the stock speakers (and you have to in order for the windows to clear) you'll find they hit the door panel when you put it back on. Be sure and use the thinnest adapter you can possible make/buy that's sturdy.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
You'll probably have to have the enclosure sticking up a few inches from the well in order to get it to fit. Mine sits flush (with a layer of dampener under it) and I had to mount the sub off center near the edge of my sonotube to get it to fit and even then there's maybe 1/4" of depth left. The components are excellent but they're a bit of a pain as well. If you reuse the plastic mounts from the stock speakers (and you have to in order for the windows to clear) you'll find they hit the door panel when you put it back on. Be sure and use the thinnest adapter you can possible make/buy that's sturdy.

Already accounted for that. The false floor will be raised a few inches to get the depth I want. This will also allow me to hide some components and wire under it. I custom make my door adapters so I'm not worried about fitment. I will be using the ID csx62 v2 set giving each door roughly 300w.

Another reason I went stealthbox is because I'm running a full sized spare tire in the well.

Spare tires are for wussies lol My car didn't come with a spare tire. Is that a 2012 thing or did some cars just not get one?

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Spare tires are for wussies lol My car didn't come with a spare tire. Is that a 2012 thing or did some cars just not get one?

GT500's don't come with spare tires. Also brembo packaged 5.0's dont have them either. You get the leak stopper/pump thing. That doesn't work if you get a hole in the side of your tire. I drive mine daily and can't afford to call a tow truck if I loose a tire and wait on the side of the road.

Last edited:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
GT500's don't come with spare tires. Also brembo packaged 5.0's dont have them either. You get the leak stopper/pump thing. That doesn't work if you get a hole in the side of your tire. I drive mine daily and can't afford to call a tow truck if I loose a tire and wait on the side of the road.

Hmm...I wonder why my friends v6 didn't come with one then. I haven't had a spare tire in probably 5 years. If I ever have an issue I just have someone bring me my spare or with the mustang one of my stock wheels. My car is also daily driven.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Hmm...I wonder why my friends v6 didn't come with one then. I haven't had a spare tire in probably 5 years. If I ever have an issue I just have someone bring me my spare or with the mustang one of my stock wheels. My car is also daily driven.

Good for you ass hat. Hope you get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

PhantomX

Established Member
Has anyone done a spare tire well box, I've heard they just don't sound that good? I use my trunk waaaaay to much to lose any space at all. I think with the stealth box even I would have a harder time getting my golf clubs in the trunk. I can get 2 bags in easy now.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Good for you ass hat. Hope you get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

Woah didn't mean to sound like an ass man. I was just saying it doesn't bother me not to have a spare tire with me and what I do if I ever need one.

Has anyone done a spare tire well box, I've heard they just don't sound that good? I use my trunk waaaaay to much to lose any space at all. I think with the stealth box even I would have a harder time getting my golf clubs in the trunk. I can get 2 bags in easy now.

Yes I have and as long as the design isn't flawed it wont perform any different than a square box with the same port and sub orientation. For those without spare tires and those ok losing the spare a spare tire well box is ideal for saving space. Yes it will require a little more work but for some its worth it. I've been giving it a lot of thought and if the demand is high enough I may offer a kit for the guys who aren't able to do it themselves. I'd also make it less expensive than the sleathbox :-D

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Woah didn't mean to sound like an ass man. I was just saying it doesn't bother me not to have a spare tire with me and what I do if I ever need one.

Yes I have and as long as the design isn't flawed it wont perform any different than a square box with the same port and sub orientation. For those without spare tires and those ok losing the spare a spare tire well box is ideal for saving space. Yes it will require a little more work but for some its worth it. I've been giving it a lot of thought and if the demand is high enough I may offer a kit for the guys who aren't able to do it themselves. I'd also make it less expensive than the sleathbox :-D

I am still interested in this. Just the $$$ part needs to be right. At the right price you could make a ton of money.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I am still interested in this. Just the $$$ part needs to be right. At the right price you could make a ton of money.

I want to build mine first so that I can get some experience working with this car in particular and have an idea on labor and cost. Hopefully that wont be too far down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread