2010 Boss 302 "R" 400 hp

00 Cobra R

Established Member
Have a chance of getting one of these. It List for 79,000 and is not street legal. Does have roll cage and all ready to race. I'm not a racer. What are the thoughts on this car by the real enthusiast, all of you. Only 50 going to be built. Not sure on the market for such a car. It would be a done deal if it were street legal. Opinions PLEASE!

Mike

00 Cobra R

Established Member
Will work on pics or link. Just got the opportunity this morning and I haven't been able to find anything as of yet. Will post if I can find information.

Mike

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
can you link the pic?
i personally think $80k is A LOT for a car you can't even take for a drive. If you want a racecar, i think you'd be better off building one. If someone is buying this to collect then i understand, but i don't know about this one...

00 Cobra R

Established Member
I feel the same way. I think that is why I posted this question? Would be neat to have but I'm running out of $ and space. I actually think this would be a good collector car but then for who if you can't drive it? Google 2010 Boss Mustang R and there is tons of info and a few pics.

Mike

steve121

Established Member
I was under the impression that Ford was getting pressure from Grand Am to build a "street legal" version of their FR500C. The other competitors (BMW-Porsche) were complaining that the FR500C a purpose built race car while their entries a based off of a street legal car available to the public.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
My understanding is that the next generation Mustang Grand Am car will have the Coyote 5L 400hp engine in it. Thats a street engine. The 5L Cammer in the FR500C has been restricted considerably for competition since it was introduced.

I have heard that there will be a handful of the new package ready for Daytona. I had also been told that a Boss 302 would be ready for the street by June 2010. The other thing that Ive heard is that the FR500C and FR500S will be the same car with the same drive train when it comes out. There may be some differences but not a lot.

edit: ah...off road only. this is the replacement for the FR500S in effect.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
A couple of thoughts on this... Not sure how this all actually relates to Ford's decision to launch the 2010 BOSS 302R now...but there is some sense to it.

I understand that the Cammer engine has always been a source of contention in the Koni Challenge...not being a street-certified production engine. Considering the entry of the Challenger and Camaro in earnest next year, I would think pressure would increase on Ford to use the new Coyote. Hence, this may be why the BOSS 302R has just been announced.

Could they still be using the Cammer, initially...considering the $80K price and race-only designation??

Maybe the Coyote/Street BOSS will follow directly, especially if Koni Challenge pressure increases?

Also makes sense to a) tap into big collector dollar$$$ early and b) build track-credibility for the racing BOSS before the general release of a street-version. Win on Sunday...Sell on Monday. Like back in 1970??

Also, I don't think the pic link above would be the new 2010-based version of the BOSS...unless they are sticking to the '05 body style.

00 Cobra R

Established Member
I like the way you think. I think you may be on to Fords reasoning! I have been told that the Boss 302 will be back in the showroom soon. I don't know how collectable these cars will be but they will sure draw attention to the Mustang name plate.

Happy motoring
Mike

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Here is what I know/have been told.

1. The 2010 Mustang for Grand Am/Koni Challenge racing will feature the new Coyote 5L/400hp engine. I was told a Boss 302 would be available in June 2010. This car might be the track only car mentioned here. I don't know.

2. The Cammer engine is severally restricted in Grand Am already.

3. The FR500S priced out at $75k. They sold about 40 of them. It would seem that this Boss 302R is the 2010 replacement for that product. The FR500C was priced at $129k. This Grand Am Boss 302R is priced at $129k. That would seem to back up the idea that the $79k price tag replaces the FR500S.

The questions I have are will there be a street Boss 302 and if there is will this 5L engine package be the standard engine in the Mustang GT?

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
I have the pdf for the car. I would be interested since the only use it would get would be track time. Not in my buget though

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Mike, YOU could drive it on the street.... thats what dealer tags are for right??? LOL

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
It seems like with Saleen's PJ & Gurney tribute cars, Fords FR500 racing series cars (road racing & Cobra Jet drag cars), Shelby's Super Snakes and Dragon Snake, and Roush's special edition cars.... it's going to be tough to predict which, if any, will be worthy "investment" cars.

Now, if your buying one because YOU dig it.. or will race it.. that's another story!

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Here is my take just now. I think that 05-09 Mustangs will be collectable at somepoint. Probably more so than the Fox and SN95 car because they were a major market changer.

I think your race history cars will be a lot like today's race history Cobra R's in that they have more value than a street version. On the other hand a non race history, track only car will have a severely limited market.

I could be completely wrong, but since the Shelby GT is the rules basis for racing a Mustang in SCCA T2 and the SVT GT500 cars have no racing history, it could turn out that the GT500 cars are not worth a premium. We will see.

I am trying to hoard money in the case that there is a street Boss 302 coming out in 2010.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I think at this point the days of the street legal R are over. This Boss R thing is the new direction they are going.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Buy this car because you want it, not for any other reason. If you are buying it for resale value you might as well play the stock market too, you never know what will be hot and what will be not.

Users who are viewing this thread