2010 GT500 Shifter Install

MongoCobra

Established Member
Hi
I just picked up my 2010 GT500 yesterday and already itchy to mod. First one I think will be a short throw shifter but it looks like they changed the design from the 07-09. Has anyone done this mod yet, and is the install easier than what i've seen for the earlier design? Install pics would be great

thanks

cobrkilrl

Established Member
I have the KR shifter in my 09 gt500KR. I think this is the Ford racing parts short throw shifter. It is great and I love it. Short shifts and very smooth. Have not missed 3rd gear yet. Just a great product. You cannot go wrong with it.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I have the KR shifter in my 09 gt500KR. I think this is the Ford racing parts short throw shifter. It is great and I love it. Short shifts and very smooth. Have not missed 3rd gear yet. Just a great product. You cannot go wrong with it.

You have the KR shifter in your KR? :shrug:

j/k keep slamming those gears

Colleton

Established Member
Yea I thought they put the KR shifter in the 2010. No?

I don't think so. I have the FRPP (KR) shifter in my 09, and when I test drove a 2010 last weekend it felt nothing like the KR shifter. It felt like the stock 2009 shifter. Mushy, with a lot longer throw.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
I drove a 2010, and I must say that the stock shifter felt really good. I was a little suprised, and if I bought a 2010, I'm not sure I would swap it out......

Colleton

Established Member
I think you're wrong, and you'll have to show me a spec sheet that backs up your claim to convince me.

I know what the FRPP shifter feels like, I use one every day. The shifter on the 2010 is not the FRPP shifter. The 2010 stock shifter felt exactly like the stock shifter on my 09 did before I replaced it. Mushy.

1fast10shelby

Established Member
Ford press release said:
“All our changes were about making the car to respond as fast and as predictable as possible,” Hameedi said. “The 2010 Shelby GT500 conveys an athletic, confident feel. The shifter, clutch pedal, brake-pedal efforts and overall steering efforts are easier now. We wanted to make sure we had a nice, crisp short-throw shifter that was easy to go from gear to gear.”

I don't know what shifter is in the '10's but it sounds like it is different than previous years.

Rob

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I doubt it is the $350 Shelby shifter.

96slowbra

Established Member
i also work at a ford racing dealer. i have heard about the shifter, just not sure where. i'll find some back up evidence soon

mullens

Established Member
I can't say for sure if it is the short throw FRPP (KR) shifter on my 2010 but it IS definitely different than my 08. Shorter throws for sure.

Grey03

Established Member
According to the supplemental manual for the GT 500 that came with my 2010, under unique features it lists "short throw shifter" which one it is..... couldn't tell you.... But I like it better than the Steeda unit that I had in my 03 Cobra.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
I just wish MGW would make one for the 2007 -up.

I miss that shifter. Had it in the o4 cobra and we installed it in a friends 5 speed GT but for some reason he only made a couple for the shelby and never took off with it. I think there are more shelbys running around than the 03-04 cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread