2011 GT...More Mods or Upgrade or Newer style?

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
seems like all subjective complaints tbh. The IRS on the 2015s acts the exact same on the street as a solid axle, still an extremely predictable mustang. Not to mention the 'weak IRS' complaints are a thing of the past, I've got 4 cars at my shop making 4 digit power on basically stock IRS still....

and he's looking at used blower kits / new from Beefcake is like $5500
Not subjective. I'm simply saying that the benefit for some are IRS, while for others IRS is not an acceptable substitute for live axle. There is more feel with a live axle between driver and car than on IRS cars. As I said about my time driving one, there were some things way better, some things I liked better the old way. It's a personal choice, and the only one who can make it the right way is the one who has to make the monthly payment.
And it seems like there is always a used blower or two from beefcake for sale on the forums. Perhaps there is a reason for that. I don't know as I haven't used them, though I had spoken with someone who worked there once years ago and all he could do was talk poorly about products he didn't sell and tell me to buy the ones he did. So, naturally, I never bought anything from them. But that's nneither here nor there. There is a Ford Dealer down here near me that will sell you a Roush stage one for under $5800 new.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
e
Not subjective. I'm simply saying that the benefit for some are IRS, while for others IRS is not an acceptable substitute for live axle. There is more feel with a live axle between driver and car than on IRS cars. As I said about my time driving one, there were some things way better, some things I liked better the old way. It's a personal choice, and the only one who can make it the right way is the one who has to make the monthly payment.
And it seems like there is always a used blower or two from beefcake for sale on the forums. Perhaps there is a reason for that. I don't know as I haven't used them, though I had spoken with someone who worked there once years ago and all he could do was talk poorly about products he didn't sell and tell me to buy the ones he did. So, naturally, I never bought anything from them. But that's nneither here nor there. There is a Ford Dealer down here near me that will sell you a Roush stage one for under $5800 new.

If youre a drag racer, you'll prefer the live axle. If you road race, the IRS is better.. not much opinion or argument there.

Also, not sure what you are trying to say about "beefcake's" blowers always being for sale used, as if he is the manufacturer?

He is a parts house and sells the same exact blowers as AM, LMR, Lethal, you name it.

Fact is, his prices often times, cannot be beat. If you want to spend more, have at it. But understand the --insert brand of power adder here-- unit he sells is the EXACT SAME physical piece as the next guy.

Zemedici

Established Member

Do you know what subjective means?

You say it's not subjective, it's up to personal preference / opinion.

That's what subjective means. And you talk as if the S550s aren't some of the easiest mustangs to drive, period. I've already owned one and sold it.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Do you know what subjective means?

You say it's not subjective, it's up to personal preference / opinion.

That's what subjective means. And you talk as if the S550s aren't some of the easiest mustangs to drive, period. I've already owned one and sold it.

IRS and a Solid do not act the same, or even close, other than driving sanely in a straight line. Perhaps you bought your car to cruise straight lines and wanted comfort, I did not. I didn't say it wasn't a smooth riding car, it is. I have driven many. Some of us aren't interested in having a Lincoln Town Car ride in our sports cars. While perhaps it is somewhat "subjective" it is also a topic that has had much debate by many a forums. I wonder why ford played with IRS in the early 2000's and then abandoned it? Perhaps the people weren't looking for a car that rode so smooth when they were buying a performance machine?

Zemedici

Established Member
IRS and a Solid do not act the same, or even close, other than driving sanely in a straight line. Perhaps you bought your car to cruise straight lines and wanted comfort, I did not. I didn't say it wasn't a smooth riding car, it is. I have driven many. Some of us aren't interested in having a Lincoln Town Car ride in our sports cars. While perhaps it is somewhat "subjective" it is also a topic that has had much debate by many a forums. I wonder why ford played with IRS in the early 2000's and then abandoned it? Perhaps the people weren't looking for a car that rode so smooth when they were buying a performance machine?

Many reasons Ford went back to straight axle vs IRS, none of which relate to the discussion here.

I bet if we put someone in a IRS equipped car (such as a new mustang) and then put them in a 13-14 car, they couldnt tell the difference. The ONLY time the difference is truly evident, is on a ractrack, or rather extreme handling situations.....the rest of the time they drive like mustangs...and again. I'm saying this because I owned one.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
e

If youre a drag racer, you'll prefer the live axle. If you road race, the IRS is better.. not much opinion or argument there.

Also, not sure what you are trying to say about "beefcake's" blowers always being for sale used, as if he is the manufacturer?

He is a parts house and sells the same exact blowers as AM, LMR, Lethal, you name it.

Fact is, his prices often times, cannot be beat. If you want to spend more, have at it. But understand the --insert brand of power adder here-- unit he sells is the EXACT SAME physical piece as the next guy.
That's what I said, IRS is great for the road track guys. But the average Mustang owner is not a road track guy. Most of the people who buy the GT with the M6 are guys looking to show off a little light to light. It is estimated by Ford to be 15% of the market share of the mustang. Sadly enough, 85% is aimed at females 18-45 and will have a V6 or 4 banger and be automatic. But that is what it is, and that part of the market keeps the 15% the rest of us love alive.

And what I mean by the beefcake "specials" is that cruising the for sale section looking at blowers it seems like there is always a "beefcake" special for sale. That wasn't a dig at anyone, it was just a point that when I'm looking at the for sale stuff I always seem to see one of their "special" kits for sale used. It was merely an observation. If I always saw another retailers kits for sale used, I'd make the same remark about them. No foul intentions meant there....

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Many reasons Ford went back to straight axle vs IRS, none of which relate to the discussion here.

I bet if we put someone in a IRS equipped car (such as a new mustang) and then put them in a 13-14 car, they couldnt tell the difference. The ONLY time the difference is truly evident, is on a ractrack, or rather extreme handling situations.....the rest of the time they drive like mustangs...and again. I'm saying this because I owned one.

Or every time you run over a pot hole or bad section of road. If a person can't tell the difference between the two, they aren't driving enthusiasts.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
There is always going to be something newer and better you can upgrade to. With that said no point in chasing the latest and greatest thing because in two years you will be looking for the next latest and greatest thing. If you are happy with your car then by all means keep it, mod it, and enjoy it. Your car does not have high miles and as long as you maintain it you can have years of modding it and enjoying it.

If I were you I would throw a new grill in the front with the Boss lower fascia and add a nice set of Longtubes with a AED tune. Car will look great, sound good, and run pretty descent as well. Best of luck.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Hey guy, do some research on the 2018's before you buying anything!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

fishpick

Established Member
I bought a 2012 convertible this summer - with the budget to get a new 2017.

Got the 2012 because it has no "technology" in the cabin - and sinces this is a seasonal driver 8 wanted something that I could have for years and not have outdated won't connect to anything software embedded in the dash.

I took the cash saved on the older car and am Whippling and more the ever loving snot out of the 2012 - because then it's "my car" and I get more bang for my buck by learning and doing which is part of the fun - for me.

If you just want is done tho - get a new one and enjoy.

This is a pretty personal decision for you to make. Good luck!

Ironman_GT

Established Member
Great info in this thread and I appreciate every single response :)

I'm leaning towards keeping my whip and adding more. Someone mentioned earlier about sentimental value and while it's only been year of ownership I absolutely have a bond with my car, no question about it. I wish I were more mechanically inclined. I'm learning I suppose.

The items I'm leaning towards upgrading are:

1. RTR front chin spoiler with splitter. I love this look and I should be able to install it. $499 with no discounts @ AM.

2. JBA LT Headers from AM. $530. It says I also need the shorty mid pipe...is this true? I'm in an emission state to the catted version is another $423....ughh if so.

3. Header install & tune at my local speed shop. $475 + $375 for tune. Not much way around this.

Was entertaining the thought of a CAI but don't read a ton of benefitting from dropping $300 for one, HP gain-wise. I also love the Cervini Stalker hood and stalker rear valance but those may have to wait.

noldevin

Established Member
Honestly I'd keep it. The value on these cars has dropped so much that it isn't worth doing incremental upgrades each time they come out with a new model

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
1. RTR front chin spoiler with splitter. I love this look and I should be able to install it. $499 with no discounts @ AM.

Never pay full price for any parts from sponsored vendors. There is a 6% code you can use for AM, also there is a 8% code floating around for CJ Pony Parts. If you need either of these PM me and ill send them over.

2. JBA LT Headers from AM. $530. It says I also need the shorty mid pipe...is this true? I'm in an emission state to the catted version is another $423....ughh if so.

With longtubes you will have to buy their X or H pipe to accomodate it. Have you checked out teambeefcakeracing.com, they have really good prices. If you hold off awhile and check their site regularly they have some pretty good sales. The Pypes and Stainless Power headers are their most popular and pretty good quality. Call them and I bet then can knock some more off the price.
Also PM TRBO VNM on here, Jason is a site vendor and a good friend of mine. His prices are the best out there hands down. His number is 240-299-6532 or you can google competition speed and sound and get his email.

3. Header install & tune at my local speed shop. $475 + $375 for tune. Not much way around this.

475 for header install is actually very reasonable. Is the 375 for the tune including a programmer? If they use SCT you will have to purchase a programmer. Id look in the classifieds there are always used ones in there you can use. Are you set on a dyno tune, Shaun over at AED is one of the best tuners out there and if you have a laptop you can datalog your car and email the results to him. He will have your car dialed after a couple of pulls.

Was entertaining the thought of a CAI but don't read a ton of benefitting from dropping $300 for one, HP gain-wise. I also love the Cervini Stalker hood and stalker rear valance but those may have to wait.

The stock intake is pretty descent, id stick with it for now. When I bought my car the previous owner had a intake put on and didnt have the stock intake. I doubt the car picked up any power. If you have any questions on anything shoot me a PM or text me at 318-393-0629, have a safe and happy New Year.

Ironman_GT

Established Member
Just an update...still pricing headers + catted H pipe. Stage 3 Motorsports seem to have best pricing on JBA LT headers. AM had a good price on the LT but only had the catted X Pipe....I prefer the H for sound. Looks like about $900 shipped for pair is the best I can find.

The shop I called that quoted me $475+$375 for tune/install said I'll also need to provide the programmer so that is about another $200. Do all shops that do dyno tuning require you to bring a programmer? I'm emailing a few others in my Atlanta area to see if they are any different.

Interesting story from today- I was headed to the grocery store and saw another GT - Sterling Grey also also parked in the back. Mustangs really should have their own parking area, roped off but I digress. This guy was getting out about the same time as I was and his car was really really nice...clearly had some proper care taken of it. I always tell guys their car looks great if they have a mustang...just how I am and we struck a long conversation. Very nice fella...said he just spent close to $12k+ on VMP TVS plus a bunch of other mods and it sounded and looked fantastic. Anyway - I talked about the mods I was considering....headers, etc...he said he just pulled off his boss 302 IM and would sell it if I were interested...said very good shape and he only wanted $350 for it. I know there is differing opinions on the boss IM....where the HP gains are on the band, etc....but at $350 it seems like a good deal if it's in good shape. After reading about it, I would think I could install it. This guy also said he had a trusted mechanic that had done almost all his work and he did is work on the side...seems like it may be a good hookup and we exchanged #'s. I need to read more about whether I need an install kit for my stock airbox or not.

So if I can get around purchasing a programmer then I might be able to get the LT headers installed, boss 302 IM installed, dyno tune, and add the RTR front chin spoiler / splitters for under $2500. I think I'd be pretty happy with this.

I did read about the tune with my own programmer from AED and have read great things about them but I tried to do a tune a while back with a CAI and it went horribly sideways. I flashed back to stock and uninstalled the CAI...so I am a little leery about thing that again. Just not my area of expertise at all.

noldevin

Established Member
Some dyno shops can flash directly with hptuners, but then you won't have the ability to make changes for things like gear swaps or tire size changes. You'd have to bring it back to the tuner instead of just changing it on your device.

You can find an older SCT x3 for cheap, or do an x4 or ngauge if you want something fancier. All can be found used for cheaper.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
The thread is really long, and I may have over looked it, but has anyone recommended a Watts Link? When I did the Watts Link, it made a huge difference in how my 11' drove. In a good way of course.

Ironman_GT

Established Member
Ok so update with firmer costs. Adding up quick lol

JBA LT Headers $520.00
Catted H-Pipe (needed with headers) $405.00
Boss 302 IM $350.00 (buying from friend)
Airraid Race CAI $200.00 (buying from same friend)
Install of Headers and IM $550.00
Dyno tune $550.00

Total roughly $2,575.00

Have called several dyno places and this is just an expensive cost. Most want $375-$400 but I'd also have to bring my own tuner ($200-250 to buy used) so one of the reputable shops said its not needed but the tune is $550.

So $2600.00 is a big chunk of change in a yard with no money tree lol...so just wanted to make sure you guys with more experience think it's a good investment. I swear if I listen to another YT video with cams on my year mustang (not the cam tunes, but actual cams, I swear I'm going to buy them! Just love the sound but I know after reading post after post that the total cost is just not worth it. I'm just not a fan of emailed tunes, from previous experience and my lack of engine knowledge.

So still torn a bit about stocking the money away and getting new model 5.0 and having about $60 higher payment a month. Currently pay $280/mo on my 2011 GT.

Torn :( Thanks again for all the feedback..very much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread