2011 GT Twin Turbo 1/4 Results - basic mods

BPatterson

Established Member
He went almost 106 in the 1/8th. If he stayed in it it should pick up 30 out the back minimum. That thing is moving for 7lbs.

This! Was wondering if anyone else noticed this. And like was mentioned, he was bracket racing, and I'm sure he let out a little early.

wnt2gofst

Banned
He went almost 106 in the 1/8th. If he stayed in it it should pick up 30 out the back minimum. That thing is moving for 7lbs.

7lbs on a TT setup is running what it should. With a stall I would expect it to run mid 10's all day. Its not like he is running a centri blower on 7lbs or even a PD blower. He is running TT.

from the famous tapatalk.

D.T.R

Established Member
7lbs on a TT setup is running what it should. With a stall I would expect it to run mid 10's all day. Its not like he is running a centri blower on 7lbs or even a PD blower. He is running TT.

Not sure if you realize this, but 5, 6 or 7lbs of boost on those turbos is absolutely nothing. It's below their efficiency range. Each of those turbos, can make 800whp by itself. Push 15psi on those turbos and now we are talking. That's how much potential this setup has.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member

This guy comments on everything in a negative way. Puts everyone and everything down unless its about his car.

corepwn

Established Member
I don't think he was being negative, he was just explaining that expectations and power output for 7psi are higher on a TT setup than they are a Centri/PD blower setup.

There is a ton of potential in the TT setups, more so than any of the common blower combos. The problem I see is that you can't really take advantage of that potential unless you have a built motor. (Which is also somewhat true for the blower setups.)

At these lower boost levels which are out of the efficiency range of the turbos, they're not outperforming the blowers, and in some cases seem to be performing worse. (1.7 60 foot with gears and a stall)

I don't feel comfortable with the "We had so much more but let off" type posts for several reasons.

#1. They were tuning on the car all weekend as written in the OP. So they had a great idea of where it would actually run and set the index appropriately.

#2. Smart racers set their index slower than their best, why in the world would you create a post on a forum advertising results and not post your best slip?

Now all that being said, I've seen the kit in person now and think it looks great. I know of at least one happy owner.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I don't think he was being negative, he was just explaining that expectations and power output for 7psi are higher on a TT setup than they are a Centri/PD blower setup.

There is a ton of potential in the TT setups, more so than any of the common blower combos. The problem I see is that you can't really take advantage of that potential unless you have a built motor. (Which is also somewhat true for the blower setups.)

At these lower boost levels which are out of the efficiency range of the turbos, they're not outperforming the blowers, and in some cases seem to be performing worse. (1.7 60 foot with gears and a stall)

I don't feel comfortable with the "We had so much more but let off" type posts for several reasons.

#1. They were tuning on the car all weekend as written in the OP. So they had a great idea of where it would actually run and set the index appropriately.

#2. Smart racers set their index slower than their best, why in the world would you create a post on a forum advertising results and not post your best slip?

Now all that being said, I've seen the kit in person now and think it looks great. I know of at least one happy owner.

Because this particular car isn't getting out of the hole as fast as it should, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the norm on turbo setups. Maybe there is some kind of driver error? maybe the tires aren't all that great?
I'm not sure how the blower setups are outperforming the turbo when the turbos are making more power psi for psi. In case you mention "track times", there is very little data on track times with these TT setups to have a fair comparison against the blowers. There is 50 blown cars going down the track per 1 turbo car...

D.T.R

Established Member
Just went back to re-read the first post. Did you see the rear rim/tire setup? they're 18s. I personally wouldn't even bother going to the track on 18s... regardless of what kind of tire you put on those rims. It's going to end up being a tire that is not that tall to absorb the shock at launch. With some meaty 275/60/15 I don't see why his 60ft wouldn't bee in the 1.50s

corepwn

Established Member
I'm not sure how the blower setups are outperforming the turbo when the turbos are making more power psi for psi. In case you mention "track times", there is very little data on track times with these TT setups to have a fair comparison against the blowers. There is 50 blown cars going down the track per 1 turbo car...

Peak power and power under the curve are different things.

The highest average horsepower is what gets you to the finish line first, not the highest peak.

Just went back to re-read the first post. Did you see the rear rim/tire setup? they're 18s. I personally wouldn't even bother going to the track on 18s... regardless of what kind of tire you put on those rims. It's going to end up being a tire that is not that tall to absorb the shock at launch. With some meaty 275/60/15 I don't see why his 60ft wouldn't bee in the 1.50s

We can only work with the data that is provided. 18s have gone 1.5 60s btw.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Peak power and power under the curve are different things.

The highest average horsepower is what gets you to the finish line first, not the highest peak.

We can only work with the data that is provided. 18s have gone 1.5 60s btw.

I know that. Can you show me some type of comparison where S/Cs make more net WHP and net WTQ than these TT setups at the same PSI ?

Yeah, and radial tires have went 6.1x @ 240+ mph... does it mean that everyone around the block can do it also? no.

Last edited:

corepwn

Established Member
I know that. Can you show me some type of comparison where S/Cs make more net WHP and net WTQ than these TT setups at the same PSI ?

Yeah, and 275 tires have went 6.1x @ 240+ mph... does it mean that everyone around the block can do it also? no.

Being fixated at "the same psi" is a useless argument. A turbo kit will have less parasitic loss than a blower, this isn't new information.

What we're dealing with is a fixed peak rwhp range that the stock motor can handle. The TT kit at a lower relative psi will hit this ceiling more quickly than a blower combo, and from the results that have been provided thus far appear to be more peaky.

18" tires have gone 1.5s on 2011+ Mustangs with PD blowers and no converter, and I'm pretty sure centri cars with a converter. Probably nitrous cars too, it's not that outlandish.

D.T.R

Established Member
Being fixated at "the same psi" is a useless argument. A turbo kit will have less parasitic loss than a blower, this isn't new information.

What we're dealing with is a fixed peak rwhp range that the stock motor can handle. The TT kit at a lower relative psi will hit this ceiling more quickly than a blower combo, and from the results that have been provided thus far appear to be more peaky.

18" tires have gone 1.5s on 2011+ Mustangs with PD blowers and no converter, and I'm pretty sure centri cars with a converter. Probably nitrous cars too, it's not that outlandish.

since we can't get "fixated" at the psi, per your above comment, why would we even compare them then? wouldn't it be apples and oranges? if so, why then assume that blowers run faster than turbo setups?
18" tires have gone 1.5s... sure... but how many people do that? probably one in a hundred.

corepwn

Established Member
since we can't get "fixated" at the psi, per your above comment, why would we even compare them then? wouldn't it be apples and oranges? if so, why then assume that blowers run faster than turbo setups?
18" tires have gone 1.5s... sure... but how many people do that? probably one in a hundred.

While we can't fixate on a specific PSI, we can fixate within the peak power range deemed safe for the stock motor. Within this range it APPEARS that the blower combos are making more power under the curve and thus running better times, with less supporting mods and without having their tuners tweak their combos all weekend at the track.

Will we see better results in time as the kits become more common? I hope so.

Finally, it's pretty common with the PD blowers to hit a high 1.5 on 18s with stock converter and stock 3.15 gears.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member

Theirs a lot of factors while we were at the track this pass weekend. We worked with this gentleman who was new to the scene and esp turbo's. With the set up he had, we worked with the best we could. He was cutting 11.0's all weekend and trapping at 130-133. When it comes to bracket, its a whole different ball game. The point of this thread is as D.T.R. stated, the potential of this turbo kit. Running a 10.65 on 7psi with a horrible 60' is pretty amazing. Esp when he let off so he wouldn't break out and keep in the BRACKET class.

We have a vortech car on 20s and 10psi running 10.66 on a all out race you can tell the difference on what i'm talkign about. Yes a blower can get you down the track no problem and make great times. I myself am a die hard Procharger fan. But as even you said, making power at the ranges of these systems cannot be obtain without a proper motor set up. Otherwise it's on borrowed time.

With this turbo system... and simply ONLY upping the boost (no add-ons needed like blowers) you have the potential to run.

That was the point. When we finish working on the green boss and a couple other cars (articles to come besides the ones that was just released) it will break down everything more into detail. All I can say though is holy crap! Everyone will be shocked.

D.T.R

Established Member
While we can't fixate on a specific PSI, we can fixate within the peak power range deemed safe for the stock motor. Within this range it APPEARS that the blower combos are making more power under the curve and thus running better times, with less supporting mods and without having their tuners tweak their combos all weekend at the track.

Will we see better results in time as the kits become more common? I hope so.

Finally, it's pretty common with the PD blowers to hit a high 1.5 on 18s with stock converter and stock 3.15 gears.

I don't think there is enough data (on the turbo side) to have a fair comparison. I'd like to see some track comparisons of same whp, same weight, same transmission, same gear, etc between TT vs S/C to have a better idea. Even then, driver error can affect the result, but we should be able to tell my the trap speed.

techwerkz

Established Member

This isn't 2001 anymore ... you can cut a 1.5x 60' on a 18" drag wheel with the right tire. It's not exactly difficult to get these cars down the track to begin with.

I don't see it going much harder out of the hole on a foot brake launch from 3k. As you said these turbos are out of their efficiency at low boost. I would be more opted to buy a TT setup that used smaller turbos, like the 20g's found in the APS kits. You would run the turbo at a more efficient level, and get down the track faster than the larger counterparts. The upside to the large turbos is the room to grow.

D.T.R

Established Member
Theirs a lot of factors while we were at the track this pass weekend. We worked with this gentleman who was new to the scene and esp turbo's. With the set up he had, we worked with the best we could. He was cutting 11.0's all weekend and trapping at 130-133. When it comes to bracket, its a whole different ball game. The point of this thread is as D.T.R. stated, the potential of this turbo kit. Running a 10.65 on 7psi with a horrible 60' is pretty amazing. Esp when he let off so he wouldn't break out and keep in the BRACKET class.

We have a vortech car on 20s and 10psi running 10.66 on a all out race you can tell the difference on what i'm talkign about. Yes a blower can get you down the track no problem and make great times. I myself am a die hard Procharger fan. But as even you said, making power at the ranges of these systems cannot be obtain without a proper motor set up. Otherwise it's on borrowed time.

With this turbo system... and simply ONLY upping the boost (no add-ons needed like blowers) you have the potential to run.

That was the point. When we finish working on the green boss and a couple other cars (articles to come besides the ones that was just released) it will break down everything more into detail. All I can say though is holy crap! Everyone will be shocked.

I saw the green boss at mustang week when i talked to you. The car is beautiful and the setup just looks amazing. The numbers it put down are just ridiculous.. on a stock motor and all. It's just a matter of having a clean pass at the track to prove the nay-ers that the dyno numbers also reflect at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread