2011 gt vs 2010 camero ss

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Torque multiplication, short gearing and a higher redline FTW.

Sent using Tapatalk

stangposse

Established Member
Well to answer your question, yeah I wish the interior was layed out differantly but it's much better than my Cobra's except for the seats. The blind spot is a pia for sure but not a deal breaker. If I remember the 10 weighs in around 3700 lbs and the 5.0 is just above 3600 lbs, I think my Cobra is 3680 lbs.

I too didn't like the looks of the Camaro but it has grown on me, I guess it reminds me of my all time favorite car a 69 Camaro SS. Again I don't think it can match the raw power of my Terminator but overall it does a very good job with what it has for hp.

Much better than your Cobra's??? LOL Dude are you crazy????? It's practically a fact that the interior in the new Camaro is awful.....never before has anything been so unanimous throughout the automotive world as the negative reviews on that car's interior. To each their own I guess.

10rtim

Established Member
Just to preface, I have NEVER been a mustang guy till the 11 5.0, always chevy v8s (camaro/TAs) and turbo imports (currently have a 05 400whp sti, slightly modded 1g tsi, tt stealth, and zx10r)

There is so much BS...with people talking out of their ass in this thread! That is what makes more people post on a forum though I guess. lol You think Mustang vs. Camaro is nasty try Sti vs. EVO....brutal.

When thinking and reading about dig runs remember that the stock tires, if not the Brembo package, are crap. Mine are 19" 245 all seasons but I believe the 18" are 235. I know some of the mag articles even mentioned this when they were able to get similar times out of the two cars.

I have ran into a new camaro on the highway....both left even from a three honk 40 roll to around 130ish. We ran twice with nearly same results....slowly walked away with a conservative 3 car pull. Obviously it could be somewhat different with different drivers, but I am sorry, I have played around on the Mexican Highway a few times with a few different rides and it is OBVIOUS to anyone who is honest with themselves when a car is going to pull everytime in a fair run. This is the case with a stock 2011 5.0 vs. stock 2010+ Camaro.

So if you refuse to listen or believe the relatively solid real world accounts that actually line up with factors like weight, rwhp, tires, usable rpm or chose to base opinions on dynos that don't even take both cars to redline (every dyno I have seen has the 5.0 making power all the way to 7k with a tune upping it to 7.3k) have at it and buy a camaro. Just prepare for a little disappointment if you try to pull on a similar equipped 5.0.

Hopefully, it isn't that big of a deal to you though as my criteria for my daily was if I could fit a step-ladder in. lol I like the exterior styling of the camaro better as well as the damn 6 speed! COME ON FORD WITH A DAMN TSB!

BTW I have a 2011 MT 5.0 3.55 gears

Last edited:

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
Absolutely agree 100%

EDIT Oops, I didn't even notice I posted this same chart months back. This is an old thread lol

This will probably start a poop storm but everyone is so stuck on the peak power between the two when that is only part of the story. Yes, it is very close at peak, but take a look at a same dyno comparison between the two. When you look at power under the curve, the LS3 is clearly superior, which is why it keep it somewhat close given the significant weight and gearing deficiencies.

Camaro = Green
Mustang = Red

201120mustang20vs20201020camaro-1.jpg

Wrong ls3 is not superior

FBO 335i

Established Member
I meant under the curve it's clearly makes more average power/torque.

Average power to me only really matters after 5000RPM, you are only gonna be under 5000RPM when launching in 1st gear. From a roll, nothing under 5000RPM really matters. And while the Camaro should probably be short shifted at around 6300RPM for ideal performance, the Mustang GT could simply be reved out to 7000RPM because the HP curve doesn't fall, it just plateaus after 6500RPM.

I'm not saying one power curve is better than the other, but the dyno isn't telling the whole story because the Mustang is not being revved out to 7000RPM.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Average power to me only really matters after 5000RPM, you are only gonna be under 5000RPM when launching in 1st gear. From a roll, nothing under 5000RPM really matters. And while the Camaro should probably be short shifted at around 6300RPM for ideal performance, the Mustang GT could simply be reved out to 7000RPM because the HP curve doesn't fall, it just plateaus after 6500RPM.

I'm not saying one power curve is better than the other, but the dyno isn't telling the whole story because the Mustang is not being revved out to 7000RPM.

You won't get an argument out of me on that. In the real world, you'd have to play it perfect if you run it to 7k, because that rev limiter is right there. If that stock tach is even off a tiny bit, there goes your race.

ramstein

Established Member
Great method of getting people to race you! I always forget to open my window and call them a bitch a couple times. I'll try this next time a see a Vette!

nycarpenter

Established Member
y r mustang owners so ****ing stupid? u guys talk shit about chevys but know nothing about them and cant even spell the name of the car u raced.

sorry for the rant, continue.

I can spell it.... OVER WEIGHT UNDER POWERED. IT'S ONE OR THE OTHER. MAYBE BOTH :)

Last edited:

nycarpenter

Established Member
Great method of getting people to race you! I always forget to open my window and call them a bitch a couple times. I'll try this next time a see a Vette!

Gotta be honest the bitch method is not a good idea. Be polite if they want to go then so be it. If not just leave it alone.

04nccobra

Established Member
I meant under the curve it's clearly makes more average power/torque.

What happens is folks go down to the dealership to take the SS for a test drive, the cars are always in TC safe mode, you have no idea and say yeah it's pretty quick but not what I expected. What you need to do is to tell the salesman you want to test drive the car in the "competative mode" or TC completely off, for computer programming. It's a night and day differance the car instantly becomes a beast. The salesman will not want to do this as he is afraid you will wreck the car. I am not sure what this program does but you have 3 choices, TC on, TC off, and Competative Mode. I am willing to bet a good majority of the SS's running around out there have no idea this mode is programmed in.

Last edited:

nycarpenter

Established Member
:lol: Maybe the guy who bought the car because he liked the look but trust me the person who wants to take a crack at a cobra or 5.0 knows all about the car.

Grabber07'

Established Member
What happens is folks go down to the dealership to take the SS for a test drive, the cars are always in TC safe mode, you have no idea and say yeah it's pretty quick but not what I expected. What you need to do is to tell the salesman you want to test drive the car in the "competative mode" or TC completely off, for computer programming. It's a night and day differance the car instantly becomes a beast. The salesman will not want to do this as he is afraid you will wreck the car. I am not sure what this program does but you have 3 choices, TC on, TC off, and Competative Mode. I am willing to bet a good majority of the SS's running around out there have no idea this mode is programmed in.

If I am not mistaken the "Modes" have nothing to do with HP or TQ.... Its all about traction control and that is all. Unless you are spinning it will not kick in and kill power. Competitive mode just allows you a little more tire spin before kicking in.

So in short...the Modes have no bearing on the car becoming a "beast"...there is no magical button that changes the motors perameters allowing for more throttle response/torque.

Maybe someone else will chime in here if I am incorrect. I am going off of my Shelbys TC on, TC off, and Sport mode experience. Sport mode allows the shelby to spin the tires a little more and allows the rearend to kick out more than usual before Advancetrac or TC kicks in.

EDIT: Checked it out....Competitive mode is exactly like the Shelby's Sport mode. Just limits TC and Stabilitrac. So if the guys test driving are not impressed with the camaros power...it has nothing to do with what "mode" the camaro is in..unless they are trying to destroy the tires....

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Just to preface, I have NEVER been a mustang guy till the 11 5.0, always chevy v8s (camaro/TAs) and turbo imports (currently have a 05 400whp sti, slightly modded 1g tsi, tt stealth, and zx10r)

There is so much BS...with people talking out of their ass in this thread! That is what makes more people post on a forum though I guess. lol You think Mustang vs. Camaro is nasty try Sti vs. EVO....brutal.

When thinking and reading about dig runs remember that the stock tires, if not the Brembo package, are crap. Mine are 19" 245 all seasons but I believe the 18" are 235. I know some of the mag articles even mentioned this when they were able to get similar times out of the two cars.

I have ran into a new camaro on the highway....both left even from a three honk 40 roll to around 130ish. We ran twice with nearly same results....slowly walked away with a conservative 3 car pull. Obviously it could be somewhat different with different drivers, but I am sorry, I have played around on the Mexican Highway a few times with a few different rides and it is OBVIOUS to anyone who is honest with themselves when a car is going to pull everytime in a fair run. This is the case with a stock 2011 5.0 vs. stock 2010+ Camaro.

So if you refuse to listen or believe the relatively solid real world accounts that actually line up with factors like weight, rwhp, tires, usable rpm or chose to base opinions on dynos that don't even take both cars to redline (every dyno I have seen has the 5.0 making power all the way to 7k with a tune upping it to 7.3k) have at it and buy a camaro. Just prepare for a little disappointment if you try to pull on a similar equipped 5.0.

Hopefully, it isn't that big of a deal to you though as my criteria for my daily was if I could fit a step-ladder in. lol I like the exterior styling of the camaro better as well as the damn 6 speed! COME ON FORD WITH A DAMN TSB!

BTW I have a 2011 MT 5.0 3.55 gears

There's no question the '11 GT is quicker. From a roll it's a lot closer though. The LS3 is an absolute beast on the top end. On my way back from the track when my car was bone stock with paper plates still on it I ran across a guy I know with a '05-'10 GT (can't remember the exact year model, but pre '11). He had a CAI, long tubes, exhaust, cams, and a tune. From a roll I edged out a half car on him with an even start.

If I am not mistaken the "Modes" have nothing to do with HP or TQ.... Its all about traction control and that is all. Unless you are spinning it will not kick in and kill power. Competitive mode just allows you a little more tire spin before kicking in.

So in short...the Modes have no bearing on the car becoming a "beast"...there is no magical button that changes the motors perameters allowing for more throttle response/torque.

Maybe someone else will chime in here if I am incorrect. I am going off of my Shelbys TC on, TC off, and Sport mode experience. Sport mode allows the shelby to spin the tires a little more and allows the rearend to kick out more than usual before Advancetrac or TC kicks in.

EDIT: Checked it out....Competitive mode is exactly like the Shelby's Sport mode. Just limits TC and Stabilitrac. So if the guys test driving are not impressed with the camaros power...it has nothing to do with what "mode" the camaro is in..unless they are trying to destroy the tires....

That is correct. Enabling Competitive Mode will not give the car any more power. It'll make it quicker at the track if driven right just like the TC on the Shelby's I'm sure.

However there is something that can kill power. On the L99 (automatic) cars, if 87 octane is used in the car the computer automatically kicks down into a lower timing table and it kills power. A lot of people that test drive automatics thinks they're dogs until the problem is corrected.

FBO 335i

Established Member
But if the tires aren't gripping well with Traction Control On, the computer might be pulling timing to lose power and help the tires grip?

Users who are viewing this thread