2011 GT500 or 2010 c6?

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
guys, I recently sold my 08 c6, which I LOVED...long story...

anyway, I'm now trying to figure out if I should get another one, or a used z06, or a 2011 Shelby. That's why I'm in here.

I like the looks of the GT500, and the power is nice, no doubt...I'm thrilled to hear that they cut some weight, but the car is still really damned heavy.

The car will not be on a circle track, but I'd like it to handle well for everyday spirited driving.

I almost picked up a 2010 grand sport corvette this weekend. It has the stock ls3 engine, but some nice suspension and brake upgrades that would make it quite fun to toss around.

However, I've had 7 mustangs, and I still have a place in my heart for them, though I don't think I could own anything less than a Shelby at this point.

what are some crucial things I should know about the gt500 before I can make an informed decision? It will not be my daily driver, but it will see a fair amount of driving (and modding...i'm open to suggestions).

Thanks!!

R1Lello

Established Member
Forget the Grand Sport........read his post, GT500 or used Z06. No brainer, used Z06. As your name is 'StopLightWarrior', going the other way, you will not be one.......you'll be losing!!

Maybe search very recent posts by 'Screamin Cobra' and his silver Z06.........kicking a$$ and taking names

Last edited:

snakecharmer

Established Member
So the Vette trounces the Mustang in every catagory but price and lateral acceleration and the Shelby still wins. Precisely why I never read Road & Track.

To the OP, it's no contest. I've owned both. Got rid of the Shelby, kept the vette. Get the Chevy.

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
So the Vette trounces the Mustang in every catagory but price and lateral acceleration and the Shelby still wins. Precisely why I never read Road & Track.

To the OP, it's no contest. I've owned both. Got rid of the Shelby, kept the vette. Get the Chevy.

What's crazy is that I can get a 2010 grand sport for less than a 2011 Shelby. :uh oh:

TicketMeRed500

Established Member
I have said Z06 in my garage now. I am selling it this Saturday and picking up my 2011 GT500 on Wed. The Z in stock form will trump the GT500 in every catagory, but 3 months into owning it...I want my Mustang back. I sold my son my 2005 Magnacharged GT and bought the Z thinking it would be the ticket. Nobody told me that Ford didn't make the Z06. To each his own, for me the Z was an expensive test drive to end up getting a Shelby.

Good luck with your choice, making the wrong one first is expensive! With 1687 miles on this 07 it went for $47.5K
Vette004-5.jpg

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
.........oh and if you go for the Z........buy the 2008 or newer with the Tremec........2009 even better with the 10 qrt oil capacity vs. 8

R1Lello

Established Member
I have said Z06 in my garage now. I am selling it this Saturday and picking up my 2011 GT500 on Wed. The Z in stock form will trump the GT500 in every catagory, but 3 months into owning it...I want my Mustang back. I sold my son my 2005 Magnacharged GT and bought the Z thinking it would be the ticket. Nobody told me that Ford didn't make the Z06. To each his own, for me the Z was an expensive test drive to end up getting a Shelby.

Good luck with your choice, making the wrong one first is expensive! With 1687 miles on this 07 it went for $47.5K
Vette004-5.jpg

Well at least you admit it will trump it........cheers.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
op, you live in the bay area, which is pretty much like so cal cars wise. vettes are everywhere out here. including Z06s. GT500s are still an uncommon sight. i see GT500s about as often as i see the new porsche panamera, which is maybe once a week.

but beyond that, it really depends on which one grabs you more. looks and driveability wise. if youre not going to open track the car, then it really doesnt make a huge difference. not that the GT500 cant be open tracked anyways... as for the street, they both kick ass. the gt500 is probably a little more comfortable and practical on the street than a Z06. the GS is a good package/price.

also, do you plan to mod the hell out of it? we all know that the gt500 takes the cake in that respect. if you plan to pretty much leave it stock, then the vette has the edge power wise.

it certainly is a tough choice that many many people have encountered lol. good luck

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
I don't know about you guys, but I just came back home from taking my son to MMA and as usual we were late. The drive was 9 miles thru the Turnpike and some street roads . I use every excuse in the book to get out of my house and drive my Shelby. Now I have owned 9 Mustangs thru the years since 1987 that I bought my first one. I have also driven some nice cars like the NSX back in the 90'S Corvettes (incluiding the Zo6) and Porches etc. My point is that I don't know if it just me but I love Mustangs I have build a passion for them thru the years that maybe you can even call insane. I have tried to own other car ( Lexus , Mercedes, etc. ) and at the end nothing fullfills my heart like the old and venerable Mustang. I own proudly a 2009 Mustang Gt 500 and love like today every single second I drive it. You guys can not imagine how much fun was for me to race it thru S. Florida streets to make it to those practices for my son. I may sound crazy but, I would never get rid of my Stang eventhough Is mostly stock except the JLT CAI, 3;73 gears and costume tune from Bama. I love the PONY. I can imagine myself without it. This is what it takes to own a Mustang. TRUE PASSION ...

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
I forgot!

Oh, before I forget. By the way>.. I HATE CHEVY....lol. Now GMC stands for goverment controled. Maybe OBAMA can make nice cars.. NOT....:lol:

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
Oh, btw, I'm living in SoCal for the time being...

but yes, Corvettes are much more common than Shelbys...no question.

I always mod my cars, but not to the point of absurdity. Either car would probably see all the regular bolt ons a tune, in addition to suspension stuff...I just like to maximize the car without deviating too much from factory reliability.

I love the sound of the GT500 blower, but I love the performance exhaust option on the c6 that allows me to shut it up when I don't want to hear it. My wife has a 2000 GT with bassani Xpipe and flowmasters, and though it sounds really good, it gets really ****ing annoying on road trips.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
get the GT500, with just a blower upgrade the GT500 beats the Vett easy

Yellow Horse

Established Member

Yeah, everybody and his brother owns a vette including all his third cousins twice removed. You'un can't drive down the road 5 miles and not see at least one. The number of times I've seen GT500's I could count on the fingers of both hands. It's no longer an exclusive club. Most I see are pretenders. Would not be caught dead in one.

c6vette

Established Member
I still miss my C6 and am always toying with the thought of going back. But, all of the reasons I switched are still valid including the back seat and much lower depreciation. I wouldn't suggest a new Vette in spite of the incentives and financing. Used Z's are looking pretty good though...

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Hard choice. The C6 Z06 is a very good machine. I like forced induction though. The 2011 GT 500 was fractions a second faster than a GS and fractions of a second slower than the Z06 when ran at VIR . My car is modded and I really enjoy trouncing Z's but I'm sure the ones I have run into are stock or just lightly modded. Most of the Z guys don't expect to lose because there isn't a lot of car running around that can beat them. A FI Z is beastly though.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Id go with the C6Z unless you need the back seats.
At one point or another, most drivers will convert to either car.

Users who are viewing this thread