2011 Mustang v6

silver6stang02

Established Member
Very disappointing seeing supposedly grown men associating there manhood with the sound of 8 cylinders lighting off.

Yes firing order and number of cylinders firing does make a difference in the cool sounds capability of different cars. But many of the same mental midgets are buying 4 cams for their DOHC V8s, spending a small fortune for very little power increase, and then raving about the "RAD LOPE DUDE"!!

Sorry that's pretty lame, pull a freaking vacuum line off.

Back in the day you could tell the different engines without even looking, on the back straight at Watkins Glen, between the Cleveland headed SBF cars and the SBC cars.

Why all the disdain and condescension for a V6 DOHC 24 valve 3.7 variable valve timing powerful and light Mustang?

I would consider one when they come onto the used market in a year or two.
I think they would make a KICK ASS track car!

Oh sorry, that would be a track with TURNS!
The availability of inexpensive and plentiful after market parts incl. suspension, brakes, gears, wheels and just regular replacement parts makes both cars very attractive.

The V6 is particularly attractive due to the lightness and the multifaceted benefits that lightness brings.

Look at the brake performance of the non-Brembo equipped V6 car!
What happens when you take that same car and add the 14" Brembos and light 18" wheels that JUST CLEAR the brakes.

A lighter car will corner faster than the same car with more weight, it won't be as fast at the end of the straight but it will be faster in the corner and at corner exit, so depending on the length of the straight the more powerful version of the car may not have enough room to catch up.

If the weight difference and the cornering speed difference is great enough it is possible that at some tracks that DO NOT have a lot of very long straights, the V6 car may prevail.

I have had to give "point bys" to less powerful, lighter (flat) 6 cylinder cars that were clearly turning faster lap times than I was.
I could annihilate them on all of the straights, but they would still end up right in my mirror corner after corner.
It only takes about two corners with a Cayman S filling your mirror to tell you you need to let that guy by.

Oh BTW... They sound freaking AWESOME!

You people fight like kids. Grow up.

The new 2011 V6 Mustang is a nice car. I honestly, wouldn't mind having one. I'd probably get the black one, and get white racing stripes, then get the hood scoop....powder coat the rims to a darker color...and then add some bolt on's.

13.7 seconds in the 1/4th is not bad. It does 5.1 seconds 0-60mph, which is also not bad. With bolt on's, I could definitely see 12's... in the 1/4th, and 4's in the 0-60, easily.

People need to grow up. If people are going to talk trash just because it's a v6, and they feel the need to talk smack because they are compensating for the lack of their manhood...then go right ahead, but the new v6 is a whole lot better than the last gen v6.

PROPS!!! WOW you've been here since November 09 and have held off posting until just now!
No doubt motivated by the incredibly sophomoric idiocy exhibited in this ridiculous V6 bashing thread!

One of the BEST FIRST POSTS EVER!!!
:rockon::beer::bowdown:

A lot of people get hooked on open track and road racing and have to switch to lighter cars eventually because tires and brake expense on our beloved V8s gets to be too much and ends up limiting our track time.

I can't even count how many guys I know that had to ditch their V8 car and switch over to something much lighter.

This car will help stem the defection to older BMWs and Miatas!
and that is a GOOD THING!

I may pick up a used one in a few years for that exact reason!!

Lol thanks man. I get tired of people acting like 5, and bashing others because of preferences. Some can afford a v8, and some can't. Having a v6 makes you no less of a man. Nor would I consider the new v6 mustang a chicks car. The car can down right fly.

People just need to grow up. The whole "I am better than you" attitude because they have a v8, and you have a v6 reminds me of high school.

I will say I also am seriously considering getting the v6 as well. Then of coursing adding every single basic bolt on I can find, and getting a tune. However, I am still kinda up in the air on that, because I am moving to CO.

I'm thinking of replacing my 03 3.5l Altima with a 2011+ Mustang v-6. I've already got my modded C6 for my hobby car so it would be a decent daily driver. Hell, same power as the 96-98 Cobra's, looks like just as quick stock for stock. I like it :beer:

I would say that the OP set the wrong tone for the thread to begin with......

It sets up a defensive tone for us poor saps, who didnt know what we were buying.... if only we knew that the v6 was going to run so well.... oh wait....

as I said before it is cool that a v6 runs that well, but its not for me..... Its like ordering a bacon cheeseburger with out the bacon and cheese. whats the point?

1). Sad excuse. Wanna try again? How about the guys that think all v8's are superior, and that if you don't have a v8, you're pathetic.

2). Everyone knew the 5.0 was coming out for a while. Everyone knew the v6 was getting a drastic upgrade, performance wise.

3). It's fine that the v6 is not for you, but that doesn't mean knock it.

Bottom line...

If you don't like it, don't knock on it. If you don't like it, stop coming into the v6 threads. Simple as that.

They are going to sell an ass load of the new v6's to the average consumer. That car does not exist for the hard core performance enthusiast. It was built that way to destroy the domestic and import competition. There is nothing else that you can buy right now for that kind of money with the power to weight ratio of the new V6. No one who bothers to do research on their new car purchase will buy a camaro or challenger v6 if they test drive all three. This is why Ford is not bankrupt and the other two are.

Thought I would Highlight the important parts of this thread ;)

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
What is funny about this thread is that for years ford has been bashed for their V6 models. They have been the ugly little brother of the GT, but now with 305hp, optional 19" wheels, 6spd, 13's at 104mph 1/4 times, .95g skidpad..... people still are dogging it. What about the first time mustang enthusiast (around 15-17), maybe their first car? This is the car that can continue to cult following that the mustang has and capture all generations, not just 20-30 year old men that feel their manhood would be threatened in a V6! Way to support the American Product!!

Real reason some people might be pissed is because the stock V6 will outrun their bolt on 99-04 GT's, and probably with the a/c on as well!

Last edited:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
What is funny about this thread is that for years ford has been bashed for their V6 models. They have been the ugly little brother of the GT, but now with 305hp, optional 19" wheels, 6spd, 13's at 104mph 1/4 times, .95g skidpad..... people still are dogging it. What about the first time mustang enthusiast (around 15-17), maybe their first car? This is the car that can continue to cult following that the mustang has and capture all generations, not just 20-30 year old men that feel their manhood would be threatened in a V6! Way to support the American Product!!

Real reason some people might be pissed is because the stock V6 will outrun their bolt on 99-04 GT's, and probably with the a/c on as well!

Good post.:beer:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

Agreed. In highschool back in 1986 I had a 85 GT 5.0 5spd. It ran with stock 85-86 vettes. Killed 84'S, and Z28's of same vintage were jokes. This was a mid 14 second car. Now you can get a 6 cylinder with features not heard of back in the day that runs 13's and we're not satisified.:shrug:

drivebymashing

Established Member
?

:burnout:alright i drive a 2001 bullitt with 3.73s and a Alumnuim ds and slp exhaust
i think its pretty fast it runs decent

yeah ill think that when i get spanked by a 2011 v6 mustang thats gets 9 more mpg and has 20 more hp im sorry ford has outdone thereselves
ford you get an atta boy

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
Now, I read the V-6 has a 113mph govenor. Thats got to go before road course use!

I didn't hit that on my test drive. I don't think it is there. The dealer wanted me to REALLY test the car.

I know a lot of this thread is a waste, but the v6 does not sound bad at all and is a very nice drive. It is no v8 out of the hole, but maybe the 3.31 gear option would help that. If I sell the Cobra, I will consider one and with an automatic! I am 41 and have owned many Mustangs. I am not sure I am mature enough to be happy with the v6 100% of the time, but probably 90%. :) I realize that I haven't hit the dragstrip to run in 3 years, and I moved to a county that attracts retired people, so I rarely get to drive over 40 mph anyway.

For me, the price is a big factor and with gas expecting to shoot up again...

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
V-6 Mustang manual trans gear ratios:

1st 4.236
2nd 2.538
3rd 1.665
4th 1.238
5th 1.00
6th .70

final drive 2.73 or 3.31

I drove a v-6 today. :rolling: Kinda hard too. Unfortunatly it was an auto, but I did alot of shiting myself anyway.

First the engine:

Sounds good, very refined, loves to rev and is sounds/feels great doing it. Very good throttle response, even though it was an auto with lame gears. This engine is VERY much like the 96-98 Cobra engine. You don't get much below 4000 rpm. The real fun occurs between 4500-6800 rpm. The stock exhaust is audible and sounds good, but I'd like a little more volume personally.

Just like the NA 4V 4.6's this car needs gears BADLY!! 3.31's won't do shit. 4.10's and 4.30's will be needed, even for a daily driver. Don't fear the gear with this one, 4.10's will give 2830rpm in 6th at 80mph. (Nothing for this motor) Thats fine because redline in 5th would be over 135 mph. (Remember 5th is 1:1, NOT an overdrive) 2nd will still get you to 53mph.

During the test drive I had to put it in 2nd to test the passing potential on the interstate! Yea I was doing about 65-70 mph and put it in 2nd to get it over 5000rpm. Remember how LAME the 3.27's were in your 94-04 GT or Cobra? Try 2.73's like this car has...it sucks!

The manual trans and 4.10's/4.30's WILL make this car FUN to drive!

As for working on the motor, VERY generous access. I don't think anyone will complain about it being hard to work on. There is simply LOTS of room left for air flow and your hands! Great!

Interior:

Very nice. Soft places for your elbows to rest, I wouldn't buy a car without them. The car still feels big, but definatly better than the 05-09. The cloth interor was fine, though I must admit I didn't care for the hard plastic on the steering wheel. Leather would be better there. The manual seat was fine. (Though probobly not for a road course) Nice supportive headrest. Guages were nice and easy to see in the bright sunlight.

Suspension:

The suspension felt great and taut. Very smooth ride, stout chasis. It could certainly handle FAR more than the lousy tire/rim combo would let do. I think they were 235/55 tires but they felt even taller. They would give up and roll under. It was VERY obvious the suspension is utterly CHEATED by the tires on this thing. It needs the big rims and honest low-profile tires. That can add alot of weight and reduce accelleration and braking performance but it really needs them. (The gears will compensate a little)

Very nice BALANCE! This car didn't have that "the car rotates around the engine" feel that most mustangs have. This Mustang may have the best front/rear weight distribution of any mustang ever and it can be felt! Also, this was with less than 2 gallons in the saddle tanks! With more gas it would have felt even more balanced.

Rear suspension lets the rear weight swing out predictably and in a linear fasion. Doesn't have the bind and snap oversteer like the pre-05 stangs. But we knew this already.

Steering is properly weighted and geared. (Remember this has computer controlled electric motor assist, no hydraulic pump, lines, or fluid!) Sure we'd all like more feedback but this is a street car so you'll have to change you own bushings.

Brakes:

Pretty damn hard to fade brakes on the street so I don't know. They didn't stand out in any way. Call the pedal feel average I guess.

Transmission: It was an auto, autos suck the fun out driving. It will let you downshift into 2nd at 70 mph. Auto's suck in sporty cars. They are for fine for people with leg/ankle/foot injuries who still want a sporty car. And some drag racers. The rest of you who would buy a sporty car with an auto are dorks at the very least. :loser:

Thats about all I can think of at the moment.
In conclusion: Bigger wheels/lower profile tires, 4.10's/4.30's and you have a very fun car! Or get a Gt w/factory 3.73 gear option...

Last edited:

Steve@BAS

Established Member
In the past when random people said "Is that a 5-OH" to a v6er, they could just say "They haven't made the 5L since '95"

Now they will have to look down in shame and say "No"

LOL.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
In the past when random people said "Is that a 5-OH" to a v6er, they could just say "They haven't made the 5L since '95"

Now they will have to look down in shame and say "No"

LOL.

Maybe, but they also might be able to say, "no, and I still whipped your WRX/Civic Si/Scion and still get 30mpg!"

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
I can't even count how many guys I know that had to ditch their V8 car and switch over to something much lighter.

This car will help stem the defection to older BMWs and Miatas!
and that is a GOOD THING!

I may pick up a used one in a few years for that exact reason!!

I agree and know what you're talking about, but the data reported in C&D for weight, the v6 is only 60lbs less than the GT, not enough to make too much of a difference. I'd rather keep the 100hp than lose 60lbs, from the stock standpoint :coolman:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I agree and know what you're talking about, but the data reported in C&D for weight, the v6 is only 60lbs less than the GT, not enough to make too much of a difference. I'd rather keep the 100hp than lose 60lbs, from the stock standpoint :coolman:

Hmm..I thought it was closer to 100lbs and the majority of that was off the front end? We have to be sure were talking base vs base or premium vs premuim and both coupes with manual trans.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Doing some more math, 4.10's in the V6 will really kill first gear.

4.10 with the previous 5 speed 3.37 1st gear gives a 13.8 ratio.

4.10 with the new 6 speed 4.236 1st gear gives a 17.4 ratio.

To put that 1st gear in perspective thats like the previous 5-speed and 5.14 gears!

Looks like 3.73's is as steep as most will care to go in the v6 unless they want to run 28" slicks out back! (And someone will!)

Users who are viewing this thread