2012 5.0 Paxton Dyno

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Without getting into a whole TQ/HP what it all means argument.(There are tons of resources out there that define this).

Basically TQ is going to be your measurement of rotational force made by your engine/crankshaft. Any increase in cylinder pressure is what generates more TQ.

HP is the RATE at which this can happen.

Torque is what actually moves the car. That's the seat-of-the-pants tug you feel when you step on the gas.

HP is nothing more than a measurement of how fast this happens within a given amount of time.

The high HP is basically saying that the car continues to move air through the heads/combustion chamber efficiently at higher rpm. Some cars with bad intakes, heads, cams..whatever, will show up on a dyno-graph differently based upon the airflow characteristics of that particular combo.

Thanks for breaking it down :beer: I tried reading up on HP/TQ relations and was just confused lol

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Because no turbo
misc-will-smith.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking, lol

Can't wait to get my turbo on!!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Because no turbo
misc-will-smith.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking, lol

Can't wait to get my turbo on!!

show me a turbo that is competitive with the times being run by the paxton

you can't.......

who cares about torque at 2000 rpms....

the fastest cars are vortech / paxton cars period

nothing under 20psi can come close

it takes the whipples 24-26 psi to be competitive with 18 on a paxton

03dsgdreams

Established Member

you can't.......

:thumbsup:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member

you can't.......

I care about torque at 2k if I can have it. And if you just want a 1/4 mile car and that's it you have a point. But with correct turbo sizing I bet turbo cars can outperform SC'd cars at the same boost level. Or at least match them. There just hasn't been enough R&D into them yet. There is 1 turbo car to every 30 blown ones. We just need to get the turbine wheels and housings along with the compressor wheels sized correctly.

JPC's car made 615whp at 6 psi and went 10.94@131. I don't think the paxton kit at that boost level performs that well. But I could be wrong.

D.T.R

Established Member

you can't.......

I care about torque at 2k if I can have it. And if you just want a 1/4 mile car and that's it you have a point. But with correct turbo sizing I bet turbo cars can outperform SC'd cars at the same boost level. Or at least match them. There just hasn't been enough R&D into them yet. There is 1 turbo car to every 30 blown ones. We just need to get the turbine wheels and housings along with the compressor wheels sized correctly.

JPC's car made 615whp at 6 psi and went 10.94@131. I don't think the paxton kit at that boost level performs that well. But I could be wrong.

^ This exactly.
If we get into the power per PSI, i don't think the turbos even have a competitor. I don't think the blowers even come close to it.
Give all these companies making turbos time... and you'll see. There aren't even that many turbo 5.0s out there, not to mention "turbo race cars" like the fastest vortech/paxton.

For now, yes the vortech/paxton cars are the fastest race cars... but I'm pretty sure that's going to change once people spend more time R&D, racing and tuning the turbo setups. Anyways, I don't want to take this thread totally off topic... the "because no turbo" was more of a joke... not for anyone to take seriously.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Very similar to mine. I have the Paxton also and Manny at HPP tuned it as well. I made 622rwhp and 466tq through the stock air box, lethal o/r h pipe, Boss intake, ID1000s and Vortech BAP. Great numbers and have fun!

Interesting that you didn't make higher peak numbers with the Boss manifold. Maybe the stock airbox is holding you back. It be interested to see your guys plots overlayed since they were done on the same dyno by the same tuner.

KalEl370

Established Member
Interesting that you didn't make higher peak numbers with the Boss manifold. Maybe the stock airbox is holding you back. It be interested to see your guys plots overlayed since they were done on the same dyno by the same tuner.

He's running the JLT CAI, which adds more boost. He stated that he was about 10lbs where I see about 7.5-8lbs. If I add the JLT I'm sure I'll hit over 650rwhp easy. Someone with a similar setup to mine minus the Boss intake made 589, so I figure the Boss intake does make more HP. I am very happy with my setup so far. Here's my graph. Mine was also tuned in 95 degree heat in late July.
0b7e22af.jpg

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

^ This exactly.
If we get into the power per PSI, i don't think the turbos even have a competitor. I don't think the blowers even come close to it.
Give all these companies making turbos time... and you'll see. There aren't even that many turbo 5.0s out there, not to mention "turbo race cars" like the fastest vortech/paxton.

For now, yes the vortech/paxton cars are the fastest race cars... but I'm pretty sure that's going to change once people spend more time R&D, racing and tuning the turbo setups. Anyways, I don't want to take this thread totally off topic... the "because no turbo" was more of a joke... not for anyone to take seriously.

I mean, the cars have only been out 2 1/2 years......

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member
He's running the JLT CAI, which adds more boost. He stated that he was about 10lbs where I see about 7.5-8lbs. If I add the JLT I'm sure I'll hit over 650rwhp easy. Someone with a similar setup to mine minus the Boss intake made 589, so I figure the Boss intake does make more HP. I am very happy with my setup so far. Here's my graph. Mine was also tuned in 95 degree heat in late July.

I should be around 10psi. I am still trying to figure out how to setup the boost for the aeroforce guage. The 620 pull was about the 8th pull that day in 95 degree heat. Next I think I will see what e85 will do! :pepper:

wnt2gofst

Banned
532865_3782850327511_211100216_n.jpg

Stock headers, 102* temp in TX, and will be shooting for a few more this weekend. 93 octane as well with 11.5lbs boost. Boss Intake as well.

KalEl370

Established Member
I should be around 10psi. I am still trying to figure out how to setup the boost for the aeroforce guage. The 620 pull was about the 8th pull that day in 95 degree heat. Next I think I will see what e85 will do! :pepper:

I have an aeroforce gauge also but decided on going with a mechanical boost/vac gauge. I prefer to monitor coolant temp and afr with the aeroforce. I'm tempted to get the JLT, but don't really need the extra power, I'm trying to stay as "safe" as possible at the moment. I'm prepared to rebuild if she blows, but prefer to ride it out as long as I can. So far the stock clutch is holding up good as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

KalEl370

Established Member
Stock headers, 102* temp in TX, and will be shooting for a few more this weekend. 93 octane as well with 11.5lbs boost. Boss Intake as well.

Wow, I'm curious to see how long it holds up! Good luck and keep us posted! :beer:

stang8psi

Established Member

You should do a meth kit on your car!!! It will be safe and reliable at your power levels!

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member

Man you got good numbers! I don't understand though. So if I add a boss intake and a 1.5lbs of boost I gain at least 93rwhp and 40rwtq? I compared my numbers vs yours. I realize different dyno, different day but :??:
And I should actually make more being a manual. I'm confursed!

wnt2gofst

Banned
Man you got good numbers! I don't understand though. So if I add a boss intake and a 1.5lbs of boost I gain at least 93rwhp and 40rwtq? I compared my numbers vs yours. I realize different dyno, different day but :??:
And I should actually make more being a manual. I'm confursed!
I also have an aluminum driveshaft. Also running 18.5* of timing. Adding the off road x pipe, aluminim driveshaft, 2.5* timing and boost that is what i made from below. I wentt form 9.5-10lbs to 11.5-12lbs

Who tuned your car?

kdsijbhc.jpg

Last edited:

wnt2gofst

Banned
Wow, I'm curious to see how long it holds up! Good luck and keep us posted! :beer:

Car has 11500 miles and soem change. Been boosted since day I brought it home. Last 3000 miles have been on 650whp or more. Daily drive it, race it at the track and do some 160mph street pulls.

Users who are viewing this thread