2012 GT500 2nd Gear Grinding Issues

Ryan Howell

I have a 2011 GT500 SVTPP and had a terrible grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd at high rpm at the strip, I installed the mgw shifter and set it to recommended setting and used the optional rubber bushing to reduce vibration at I have not grinded 2nd gear since and believe me I have used it hard. Great shifter very happy now it is well worth the money for the shifter to save your tranny.

My Monster

Established Member
I noticed the grind when I bought my 2011, in Jan. I read up on it from various sources and took corrective action. I am amazed how a MGW shifter and focusing on the timing of my left foot and right arm "cured" the grind. I was ready to throw the catalog at the problem but took Van's advice on the simplest solutions first, the shifter and the timing of the shiftee's hand and foot.

thgt500

Established Member
I have a 2011 and my tranny had the dreaded 1st to 2nd gear grind as well.

Here is what fixed it.

screenshot

Also installed a Barton, RXT Clutch, and did a fluid change. I can speed/power shift at any rpm now. I will also add that when i recently added my KB 4.2 i had to do their motor mounts. This added to the more positive feel on shifting.

Also note the customer comments on the receipt. This was done intentionally at the advice of others that had been through this. If you walk in trying to get warranty work saying i can't speed shift...power shift...etc etc etc....The Ford folks seem welll versed as to what to tell you to make you go away. In total my car was down 20 days and a SVT engineer got involved as well as a gal named Dascia that i was put in contact with on another forum.

Last edited:

ghladysh

Chris Ciolek and his team at AMP were great. I first met Chris at the 2016 Phoenix Barrett Jackson auto aution. Chris was there in support of TREMEC by manning the TREMEC display. I walked up and started the conversation with, "Okay, what is the story behind the 1-2 shift grind in the Shelby 2012 Mustangs GT500s. He told me the whole story about Mustangs, Cameros, and Challengers sharing the TR6060 and suffering the same 1-2 grind issue. Chris told me about the "hybrid synchronizer" fix, and guaranteed a 100% success rate with the new hybrid TREMEC part number.
When I showed up at AMP Performance in Phoenix, they treated me with respect told me everything I needed to know. It was a 1 day service, and the 1-2 problem is gone!!!
Now, my job is to gain traction in making Ford pay for my fix, and support all others needing the fix. That goes for GM and Dodge, too.
Please help by sharing this video with your local dealer, so you can get your TR6060 1-2 shift grind issue resolved by making sure they install the proven TREMEC hybrid replacement synchro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwM8lTeARk

Users who are viewing this thread