2012 gt500

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
The whole point is this, which makes you look like a retard:

The Shelbys competition is not a CTS-V. Nor a Vette. Non of what you have listed.In its price category, a muscle car with rear seats, it tops the Camaro and the Challenger. Always has been, always will be. It smokes both of those as an overall package handily.

A guy looking to buy the CTS-V is looking at the M5, or other european/Japanese counterpart. Not a 2 door muscle car.

You keep throwing 'competition' around. Know what the competition is before running your fingers across the keyboard.

Once again, because you have been told several times, but still don't understand: ahh, forget it. You obviously don't listen to reason anyway.

BTW, the fact that you keep talking about that you think you are good looking and 'genetically blessed' is really creepy. And weird. Please stop posting in this section until you can man up and catch up. Someone else said it best; you are a tool of the highest caliber. You could never reach a higher level of ball bagginess. Congratulations.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
does anyone even know a 100% if there is even gonna be a 2012 GT500/Cobra, or is everyone just making guesses. since i have yet to see an real info or facts that ford even has plans to make a 2012 GT500

Ya its a definite. I just don't feel like looking for the article, but it was mentioned by Ford when they were introducing the return of the new boss 302 and many places on TS.

Also, a company would not r&d a new al block 5.4 and plasma spray on cylinder linings for a one year run? But I apologize for not feeling up to looking for the proof :beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
evidently, those enthusiast websites are basing their belief on the bullshit reports coming from the idiots at motortrend, autoblog, etc. they're great on giving you current news(err, 2 month old news for the mags), but are consistently wrong about rumors and speculation. ford's head powertrain engineer said in an interview that there won't be an ecoboost V8 mustang because it won't fit in the S197 chassis as an assembly line ready package. the only major powertrain change that could happen would be a s'charged 5.0l, but the 5.4l should continue on all the way to the '14MY redesign.

Also, it is easier to be 50 state emissions legal with the blower vs turbo set up. It is about 99.99% given that we will never see a factory turboed v8, but who cares anyway right

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
What makes this guy think the 2012 will be slower than the Z28 and CTS-V coupe. The only reason for the cts-v coupe beating the GT500 in the drag race is due to it being automatic and having better tires. The CTS-V coupe is a tad, tad bit lighter than the sedan, it's heavier than the GT500 by at least 200lbs, it makes 6 crank hp more than the GT500 which is pretty much negligent because I doubt it actually makes more HP than the GT500 on an actual dyno run. The 2012 will most probably lighter, matching the Z28 Camaro if it's lighter than it's classier borther, the cts-v coupe. The 2012 will probably have a bit more increase in power like usual with simple tweaks...they might actually put some better tires on it...the suspension will be tweaked even more...I DOUBT THE NEW Z28 WILL HAVE A CHANCE...Ford shits on Chevy now...this ain't the 90's anymore..BITCH!!! :thumbsup:

BLK93GT

Established Member
this is just bench racing, but edmunds.com list the '11 GT500 as 4.4 secs 0-60 and 12.4 in the 1/4 mile at 116mph.

By contrast, the CTS-V is listed as 3.9 0-60 and 12.2 in the quarter.

some might say well the edmunds driver didn't do it right.

but that's what it is and edmunds is one of the most respected out there.

Not saying the GT500 performance is bad. Just saying it would be nice to see noticeable improvement in 2012. That is the point of this thread.

Whatever you do, DON'T watch this video:
YouTube - Grudge Match: Cadillac CTS-V Coupe vs Shelby GT500

Or read this thread:
Video: CTS-V Coupe vs. The World continues with Shelby GT500 — Autoblog

both are 2011 models and posted what seems to be slower times that they have elsewhere. Here is hoping for 2012.

Are you serious???:dw: In that vid they launched the GT500 horribly and thats where the CTS-V got out ahead, but the GT500 trapped 2 mph FASTER. MM&FF ran a 12.0x@119 with a stock 2011, and someone I know that is on this forum ran a 12.0x@119 with his stock 2010, THEN with just tires a 11.3x@123!!!! I'd love to see the CTS-V coupe run low 11's with just tires....

None of the magazines have ever been able to drive a Mustang that well, too used to low TQ imports maybe..idk. lol

Kewlv8

Established Member
LOL

I knew I would offend some, but that was not my intent.

Actually, I am 36 and I love the Mustang. And even as hard as it may be to believe, the GT500.

I am the sole Ford enthusiast in my family and the GT500 has been nothing but ammo for them.

If they were cheaper, I might own one now. I can tell you, that the younger crowd, who were laughing at the GT before are buying one now. Those same younger folks will be older in a couple years and they won't be buying the GT500 if it stays on the track it has been on.

Take your balls outta your purse and do your own research. Sounds like you need to learn to stand up for yourself. The GT500 hangs with\ outperforms the CTS-V and GS Corvette while costing $10k less. From this starting platform, Ford racing has endless options to make the car what you want. Does the V come with forged internals for this aftermarket flexibility? :rollseyes

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
a stock -V is absolutely faster than a stock GT500. everyone knows about the traction issues this car has, while the -V does a very good job of planting the power to the ground. not only is it the terrible weight distribution(even in the '11s), but also poor anti-squat(for launching anyways, 30%). there is a reason tire/suspension changes make such a huge difference with these cars.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
a stock -V is absolutely faster than a stock GT500. everyone knows about the traction issues this car has, while the -V does a very good job of planting the power to the ground. not only is it the terrible weight distribution(even in the '11s), but also poor anti-squat(for launching anyways, 30%). there is a reason tire/suspension changes make such a huge difference with these cars.

And THAT has been my contention all along. I'll be done here, since guys like nolyaw don't know when their logic been shown up and resort to kindegarten play anyhow.

If we can/have to upgrade the suspension t plant the power better = problem. if caddy is doing it already with a 200 lbs heavier car for crying out loud, then so should the Shelby. bottom line.

Take your balls outta your purse and do your own research. Sounds like you need to learn to stand up for yourself. The GT500 hangs with\ outperforms the CTS-V and GS Corvette while costing $10k less. From this starting platform, Ford racing has endless options to make the car what you want. Does the V come with forged internals for this aftermarket flexibility?

if you had been paying attention, I am more than aware of how to stand up for myself, whether it be parrying childlike name calling, or by showing others where their logic, and in some cases, failure to pay attention, fails. I'm a man and don't associate my fortitude with a purse, but this is a new era and I guess if that's your thing, have at it. just leave me out thanks. The GT500 by all independent accounts, loses to the CTS-V. And that car weighs more. The GT500 HAS to come with forged internals for FI. If not, it would be a warranty nightmare, costing ford out of their profit.

I don't know about you, but 40-50K for a "Starting platform" doesn't sound right. sure, we Mustang guys are a different breed. But as soon as I plunk down the cash, I should be able to drive out of the parking lot and own the guy across the street who just did the same with a CTS-V on my way home.

re you serious??? In that vid they launched the GT500 horribly and thats where the CTS-V got out ahead, but the GT500 trapped 2 mph FASTER. MM&FF ran a 12.0x@119 with a stock 2011, and someone I know that is on this forum ran a 12.0x@119 with his stock 2010, THEN with just tires a 11.3x@123!!!! I'd love to see the CTS-V coupe run low 11's with just tires....

None of the magazines have ever been able to drive a Mustang that well, too used to low TQ imports maybe..idk. lol

This is what I was talking about. That's not the only vid. And at the track it happens too. Every time, from EVERY SINGLE automobile publication that has tested these cars, the CTS-V wins. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. Let's be realists here. It can't always be someone's fault for launching wrong EVERY SINGLE time. IF those times you quote are true, then that is saying something. And what it is saying is what I have been saying this whole time: The GT500 is a beast, but it can't put the power down. You have to do the work yourself for that, because Shelby doesn't give it to you. That's an issue.

Funny that they seem to be able to do fine with the GT...
Enough with the excuses. It's sounding bad.

This is an open an frank discussion of the car, with all issues as well as props on the table. the Shelby is a monster. but it needs to be reworked to manage the power. ford has recently done that with the GT and the GT350. The GT500 SHOULD be next.

The whole point is this, which makes you look like a retard:

The Shelbys competition is not a CTS-V. Nor a Vette. Non of what you have listed.In its price category, a muscle car with rear seats, it tops the Camaro and the Challenger. Always has been, always will be. It smokes both of those as an overall package handily.

A guy looking to buy the CTS-V is looking at the M5, or other european/Japanese counterpart. Not a 2 door muscle car.

You keep throwing 'competition' around. Know what the competition is before running your fingers across the keyboard.

Once again, because you have been told several times, but still don't understand: ahh, forget it. You obviously don't listen to reason anyway.

BTW, the fact that you keep talking about that you think you are good looking and 'genetically blessed' is really creepy. And weird. Please stop posting in this section until you can man up and catch up. Someone else said it best; you are a tool of the highest caliber. You could never reach a higher level of ball bagginess. Congratulations.

Again, the ignorance astounds. The Camaro SS is the GT competition. The SRT8 is the GT competition. Wow, grasping for straws are we? The Z/28, which is or will be the primary comp for the Shelby isn't even out yet. They are busy designing it to do nothing but beat the Shelby. The CTS-V is it's competition, whether you like it or not, 5k more or not. The Corvette too. The only thing separating the Corvette is that it has only two seats. Althought, even in my own mind, the Corvette is in a different category, a la Ferrari, Lambo, Ford GT (back in the day), etc. Jsut because the Ford GT cost waaaay more than the top Corvette at the time didn't mean they weren't direct competitors. and the Shelby is a competitor to even the Nissan GTR (fancy 350Z), which is tons more cash too. Just because the two cars you mention were competitors early in the 60s and 70s doesn't mean more comp hasn't come on the scene in recent years. Wow... just wow.

You buy the GT500 because it is supposed to be the FASTEST Ford car available period FOR ANY PRICE. Kinda sucks when the flagship gets downed by its competitors.

Someone needs to wake up and get their head out of the sand.

There you go with the name calling again. At least everyone can see you for the fool you are every time you open up. And hey, if you want to act like you are cool because you have money to burn, great, but don't get all bent out of shape because other people are more blessed than you in ways that bring more satisfaction out of life. You can go back to your couch and bon bons now...

Last edited:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
At least we know at this point that Ford is more than capable of delivering world class performance from its platforms and has invested in doing so the right way. We have seen it with the GT which has astounded, then we have seen it with a much more problematic setup in the GT350, which is simply amazing.

things are looking up.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
a stock -V is absolutely quicker than a stock GT500. everyone knows about the traction issues this car has, while the -V does a very good job of planting the power to the ground. not only is it the terrible weight distribution(even in the '11s), but also poor anti-squat(for launching anyways, 30%). there is a reason tire/suspension changes make such a huge difference with these cars.

I corrected this for you. The Caddy is quicker, but the GT500 is 2.3 mph FASTER at the end of the 1/4 mile (according to that video). I found this to be true based on my encounter with one. My boss has one of these Caddys. We've raced from a roll and I've had no trouble pulling him. I'm sure he will get me from a dig though, because if you have ever driven a GT500 you will know that these cars are very, very hard to launch on stock tires.
This was with my old and lowly 08 GT500KR which BTW has been the quickest & fastest (11.92 @ 120.77 on stock tires & 11.58 @ 122.16 on MT street tires) new Mustang MM&FF has tested to date. :burnout:

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
Stock for stock, I dont think a GT500 is outrunning a stock (LS3) vette.

I'm not bashing the GT500...I'm close to buying one, but torn between that and a z06. I just sold my 08 c6 in July, after 2.5 years of ownership. That car was badass. With mild bolt ons I made 412rwhp, and in a 3200lb car, that is quite fun. I never had any trouble with mustangs, even 03/04 Cobras, which I also have owned.

9secondKO's motives here are still a mystery to me, but it's true that the Corvette is in another league, unfortunately. Even if the 2011 Shelby can run even with a base Vette, that's not the end of the story.

What I've come to understand is that it's just a matter of personal preference. Do you want a Vette or a GT500...you can compare them on paper for hours, but in the end, it's just a gut feeling. I know the Vette does X, X, and X better than the Shelby, and that a used z06 will crush a stock Shelby on the streets...but I can't shake the feeling that I really, really want a GT500...and that is what car manufacturers cannot get their heads around...

Sh1t, on paper, the GTO should have sold very well, but we all know how that turned out!

:burnout:
Stone stock LS3 vs. GT500 dead even in a drag race, me and my buddy did this comparison. After that it was game over. A flash alone..no filter change or anything else, it was game over for the vette. Both of us were driving the shit out of our cars.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Now that 9secondko has convinced me that I bought a POS can we turn this tread into something constructive. So I'm going to up the power, that's the easy part. What can I do to get more power down? I like the stock rims, so what options do I have?. I don't want to sacrifice handling (oh, I forgot, 9secondko told me it sucks already on this car), for off the line traction. I'd love to be able to get flat 4.0-4.2 0-60 times on the street.

Let me know, I'm off to take the boat for a spin!

Last edited:

Kewlv8

Established Member
Stone stock LS3 vs. GT500 dead even in a drag race, me and my buddy did this comparison. After that it was game over. A flash alone..no filter change or anything else, it was game over for the vette. Both of us were driving the shit out of our cars.

That about sums it up...

shelby.jpg

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Now that 9secondko has convinced me that I bought a POS can we turn this tread into something constructive. So I'm going to up the power, that's the easy part. What can I do to get more power down? I like the stock rims, so what options do I have?. I don't want to sacrifice handling (oh, I forgot, 9secondko told me it sucks already on this car), for off the line traction. I'd love to be able to get flat 4.0-4.2 0-60 times on the street.

Let me know, I'm off to take the boat for a spin!

:lol:

Your car is no POS. The GT500 is the best damn modern musclecar...period. :-D
The only problem it has is a traction issue, which can easliy be fixed by the aftermarket. :burnout:

Last edited:

FireDragon

Established Member
What can I do to get more power down? I like the stock rims, so what options do I have?. I don't want to sacrifice handling...

THIS! If there is an achilles heel to this car, it's the traction. Power shifting to 2nd(when it doesn't grind) will spin all through 2nd. And this is at stock levels. For me, a drag setup won't cut it. I want traction on the street.

barstoolman

Established Member

Just for the record...........your statement isn't entirely accurate. For us older guys, a CTS_V is an option and, now that Cadillac offers the CTS-V in a coupe, the comparison does have some validity. Nevertheless, it is generally true that they are not in the same category and most buyers of one would not be interested in the other. :beer:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Just for the record...........your statement isn't entirely accurate. For us older guys, a CTS_V is an option and, now that Cadillac offers the CTS-V in a coupe, the comparison does have some validity. Nevertheless, it is generally true that they are not in the same category and most buyers of one would not be interested in the other. :beer:

People seem to think if vehicle's share one or two similarities that they are indeed in the same category. So the GT500 is in the CTS-V's league? If anything I'd see the CTS-V being compared more to a Skyline GTR. They both are within the same price range, they both are 2+2 coupes. Both have non primitive suspensions unlike the GT500. I'd see those 2 cars being in the same league before the GT500 and the CTS-V being in the same league. Or am I wrong? Isn't the GTR compared more to a Z06 though. So wouldn't this mean the CTS-V coupe should also be in the same league as the Z06 as well? What are the actual guidelines for car's being in the same competing class?

barstoolman

Established Member
People seem to think if vehicle's share one or two similarities that they are indeed in the same category. So the GT500 is in the CTS-V's league? If anything I'd see the CTS-V being compared more to a Skyline GTR. They both are within the same price range, they both are 2+2 coupes. Both have non primitive suspensions unlike the GT500. I'd see those 2 cars being in the same league before the GT500 and the CTS-V being in the same league. Or am I wrong? Isn't the GTR compared more to a Z06 though. So wouldn't this mean the CTS-V coupe should also be in the same league as the Z06 as well? What are the actual guidelines for car's being in the same competing class?

I don't think they are in the same league or category..........I was merely pointing out that for certain buyers (like myself), I would consider both as possibilities because of the power. As far as guidelines, well certainly, a two seater 'Vette is not the same as a four seater CTS-V Coupe or a GTR......a Vette is a sports car with muscle car power.....the other two are high-powered performance coupes.

Users who are viewing this thread