2012 Shelby or 2013 Boss 302

Black Sex

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500. Great car
love the power and the handling on it. has the PP and is race red w/stripes. I was thinking about the exclusivity of the Boss. Supposedly only 2 years to be made. I will probably keep my 500! It sure is a blast to drive!! Wife gave me the OK to upgrade to the TVS once I got our vacation paid for!! So more incentive to do that than buy a boss and keep it stock!

Mine gave me the OK to buy a TVS when I bought the car :pepper: so I waited until I found a deal that worked for me. She was alittle dissapointed when the Shelby was slower than my '04 Cobra :lol:. Thats when she said "what do we have to do to fix that"? :rockon:

Black Sex

Established Member
Any blower add on through Ford or not on a 5.0, boss or shelby would not be covered under the powertrain warranty. With the first two not having forged internals the chances of them going boom are much higher. But to answer your question in an earlier post yes that would change things and make them much more appealing. Until the motor let go:lol1:

I know there's quite a few guys running them with no problems yet. However unless your only turning low boost which won't make the power the Shelby can, the ones cranking out the big numbers on high boost are on a ticking time bomb IMO.

Valid points. I know Im not a fan of higher compression and boost in a street car. I always thought the procal tune from Ford retained the warranty. :beer:

mullens

Established Member
Doesn't Ford offer a kit similar to the one for the GT's with the Procal tuner? I thought those retained factory warranty. Maybe Im wrong :shrug:
Ford Racing offers two Whipple supercharger packages for the 5.0. The 525 hp kit has a 12/12 warranty when installed by the dealer. The 624 kit has no warranty. Both come with procal tuners.

There is a catch. The warranty states that the 12/12 replaces the original factory warranty "when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing Supercharger". In other words, 366 days or 12001 miles if you break something you are basically screwed. They can connect ANY driveline failure to the FRPP Supercharger and you can bet they will do their damndest. So, I say screw their BS warranty and get the 624hp version.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Valid points. I know Im not a fan of higher compression and boost in a street car. I always thought the procal tune from Ford retained the warranty. :beer:

All the mustang mags show these N/A cars with high compression making crazy hp numbers on boost. That's not what the motor was built for, it would be a heck of a good time while it lasted though.

If the procal tunes retained the factory warranty there would be a 750hp FR whipple kit in my future. :-D

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Ford Racing offers two Whipple supercharger packages for the 5.0. The 525 hp kit has a 12/12 warranty when installed by the dealer. The 624 kit has no warranty. Both come with procal tuners.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 12/12 come on the blower not the motor? If it does cover both it still shows how little faith ford has in the blower add ons for these N/A cars. You would go from a 5yr/60k to a 1yr/12k on a brand new car.:dw:

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 12/12 come on the blower not the motor? If it does cover both it still shows how little faith ford has in the blower add ons for these N/A cars. You would go from a 5yr/60k to a 1yr/12k on a brand new car.:dw:
From the warranty:

"Superchargers are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer or Shelby Automotive, Inc, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing and ends at either 12 months or 12,000 miles / 20,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first. Installation must occur prior to the vehicle reaching either 24 months or 24,000 miles / 40,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the beginning of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacture's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing Supercharger. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing Superchargers remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

You are partially correct, but read the bold. That tells me your original warranty is caput and reverts to a 12/12 if an issue is deemed to be caused by the supercharger.

Last edited:

gixxer1

Established Member
I know this is an older discussion and it's a gt500 forum biased section but unless it's a 13-14 gt500 than absolutely the boss 302. I almost bought an 11 gt500 then realized the boss is a two year only production, it's lighter , handles better and is just as quick according to magazines. The boss engine Also has more rpm. 7800 fuel cut off. Every time I go to a car show 9 out of 10 I have the only boss 302. Usually 3-5 gt500s. Overall it's a better choice in my opinion unless your buying 662 hp 13-14 gt500. Ford actually said in 2012 the Boss 302 is the best mustang ever built.

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
I know this is an older discussion and it's a gt500 forum biased section but unless it's a 13-14 gt500 than absolutely the boss 302. I almost bought an 11 gt500 then realized the boss is a two year only production, it's lighter , handles better and is just as quick according to magazines. The boss engine Also has more rpm. 7800 fuel cut off. Every time I go to a car show 9 out of 10 I have the only boss 302. Usually 3-5 gt500s. Overall it's a better choice in my opinion unless your buying 662 hp 13-14 gt500. Ford actually said in 2012 the Boss 302 is the best mustang ever built.

Do you track your car? There's no reason to have a boss if you don't track it in my opinion. You're paying the same price for a car thats slower in a straight line and handles the same on the street. Yes, at the handling limit, a boss is better, but you can't reach that limit on the street.

gixxer1

Established Member
Slower in a straight line? Not according to motortrend /car & driver, bytheway it's just as user friendly as a gt500. No I don't track it and if I had a 13 gt500 I wouldn't do 200 mph either.

2012 Boss 302

0-60 - 4.0 sec (they mention 3.97)
0-100 - 9.2 sec
1/4 mile - 12.3 sec @ 115.8 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph - 108 ft

2011 Shelby GT500

0-60 - 4.1 sec
0-100 - 9.2 sec
1/4 mile - 12.35 sec @ 115.75 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph - 103.83 ft

Last edited:

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
Slower in a straight line? Not according to motortrend /car & driver, bytheway it's just as user friendly as a gt500. No I don't track it and if I had a 13 gt500 I wouldn't do 200 mph either.

2012 Boss 302

0-60 - 4.0 sec (they mention 3.97)
0-100 - 9.2 sec
1/4 mile - 12.3 sec @ 115.8 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph - 108 ft

2011 Shelby GT500

0-60 - 4.1 sec
0-100 - 9.2 sec
1/4 mile - 12.35 sec @ 115.75 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph - 103.83 ft

So the Shelby makes 100+ hp but runs the same et and mph as the boss????? Yeah NOT :rollseyes:rollseyes:rollseyes

OhYo

Established Member
I recently traded my 13 PW Boss 302 on a 2012 Gt500. Hands down, no doubt about it, the boss was a bad fella! It was a well balanced fun car to drive. However, brute force of the Shelby is not possible to compare. Ultimately I was going back and forth as to pro charge it or go with the Shelby. The basis of my final decision was the Mt82. The combined cost of throwing $ to swap it to a tremec and 6k+ for the pro charger just didn't seem to make sense. I have only had the Shelby for a little over a month (1000 miles) and could not be happier with the decision. Even in its stock form. The boss's might be far and few in some areas but I see them all the time in Ohio. The Shelby has had more kudos in a month of owing it than almost 3 years with the Boss. Just my opinion, I know this is an old thread that has been rekindled but is still very applicable.
By the way the boss's 0-60 is 4.4. The only reason for the Shelby's 4.1, who the f*ck can hook up in 1st or 2nd on stock tires?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Going from a GT500, which I readily admit is a fat pig, to a Boss 302, would equate to lopping half your wang off because you were told that you'd have more finesse and be much more refined. Poppycock, I say. Once you've experienced the blunt force trauma that a blown 5.4/5.8 can provide (especially in modified form), the leaner, tauter, S197 Boss loses something. If you can adapt (to downsizing), it's because you are either able to suppress that desire for silly excess, or it never really tickled your fancy from the get go.

:-D

OhYo

Established Member
Tob, well said. I definitely feel like I've added some girth to the wang "upgrading" to the gt500!

gixxer1

Established Member
Going from a GT500, which I readily admit is a fat pig, to a Boss 302, would equate to lopping half your wang off because you were told that you'd have more finesse and be much more refined. Poppycock, I say. Once you've experienced the blunt force trauma that a blown 5.4/5.8 can provide (especially in modified form), the leaner, tauter, S197 Boss loses something. If you can adapt (to downsizing), it's because you are either able to suppress that desire for silly excess, or it never really tickled your fancy from the get go.

:-D

Ya that's why ford ended production of 5.4/5.8 and now the 5.0 is in every mustang including supersnake. 5.0 is a better engine overall. Atleast ford knows that. And I guess professional drivers at magazines are clueless too. Read earlier posts/ videos. I love all mustangs and glad I
bought the Boss 302.

william.t.abel

Established Member
I bought a 2012 Shelby , 24,000 miles thus far and no issues , magazine times are one thing real world is another. I made the correct choice .

gixxer1

Established Member
Keep in mind guys I'm not knocking the gt500 , I just think the Boss doesn't get enough credit. It will pace with any pre12 stock gt500. Been proven . And that's a fact.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Keep in mind guys I'm not knocking the gt500 , I just think the Boss doesn't get enough credit. It will pace with any pre12 stock gt500. Been proven . And that's a fact.

And I'm not knocking the Boss 302, it's a nice car with decent power.

Ford no longer produces the 5.4/5.8 GT500 engine because its life cycle was over, plain and simple. The plan as we move forward is for smaller displacement engines. I'm not arguing that one engine is better than the other - they are both wonderful engines. And I never said anything about "professional drivers at magazines," clueless or otherwise. And I did read all the earlier posts/videos.

The simple fact is that you are comparing two variants of the same vehicle, one an overweight pig with power the likes of which we may never witness again, and another one with an superb smaller displacement engine with a bit less power. Both Ford Mustangs and that's great.

And for the love of God, how the "Supersnake" is relevant in any discussion, I have no clue.

Users who are viewing this thread