2012 Shelby or 2013 Boss 302

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Ya that's why ford ended production of 5.4/5.8 and now the 5.0 is in every mustang including supersnake. ...

I'm trying to figure out how that makes any sense, but I can't. The 5.0 is in every Mustang? The base V6 has a 5.0? The Ecoboost 4-banger has a 5.0? The GT350(R) has a 5.0? The Super Snake is irrelevant because it's an after sale Mustang GT upgrade kit. So, to whit, the 5.0 only comes in the Mustang GT.

gixxer1

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out how that makes any sense, but I can't. The 5.0 is in every Mustang? The base V6 has a 5.0? The Ecoboost 4-banger has a 5.0? The GT350(R) has a 5.0? The Super Snake is irrelevant because it's an after sale Mustang GT upgrade kit. So, to whit, the 5.0 only comes in the Mustang GT.

Excuse me v8 mustang, I wasn't literal enough. The 5.2 is based on the coyote .

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I just think the Boss doesn't get enough credit.

Sorry you do not feel your car gets enough credit, but you can get professional help for that.

It will pace with any pre12 stock gt500.

Who the hell keeps their GT500 stock?:rollseyes

Op, if you want to save some money and do not care that much for crazy straight line acceleration, buy the Boss, keep it stock, and brag to others how it is as good as a stock GT500.

If you want crazy, blow the tires off, straight line acceleration, get the Shelby GT500.
With a few go fast Mods your going to need plastic surgery to remove the F'ing smile from your face.

nickf2005

Established Member
Do a 40 roll in both cars and let me know which one gives you a bigger smile.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
OP, drive both and pick the one you like the most. Don't let other people buy your car for you.

As far as this back and forth. They are built for two different things... and any thing can be made fast and/or corner well.
I respect both "trim levels"

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
OP, drive both and pick the one you like the most. Don't let other people buy your car for you.

As far as this back and forth. They are built for two different things... and any thing can be made fast and/or corner well.
I respect both "trim levels"

True dat. But it's much easier and cheaper to make a GT500 handle very well than it is to get 550+HP out of a Boss.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Guys... Here is my story. I have owned a 560rwhp sn95 cobra, e46 M3 and a C6 Z06 before my Boss 302. I was in the market for a car that could combine what all three of those cars did for me with a back seat for the kids. I thought the then new 13 GT500 was it.... Until I drove one. The car honestly feels like a tank next to the Z06 or M3. Very nose heavy and big overall. Fast as hell in a straight line... Yes! But overall feel was a failure for what I wanted. I drove a e92 M3, it was more of what I was looking for being very well balanced. It felt on the slow side power wise though and it was just a bit out of my price range.
I drove a used GTR... Again fast car, but with no heart or passion... Like driving a video game.
I happened to drive a 12 Boss 302 LS that my friends boss had in his massive Mustang collection. I was not in the market for one...... I was completely shocked how balanced the car was. It felt nimble in a way a BMW is, it's power, although no where near my sn95 or Z06, was strong and the car made all the right sounds! In the end I found a new 13 Boss exactly the way I wanted it. It's the most balance, fun car I have ever owned.
I ran a 11.83 at 116 100% stock on DR in it. I have won my class in two SCCA auto cross events in it. It is fun, fun, fun!
I now have a GT350 on order with the hope it'll be more of all the good things in the Boss. I have to say the Boss will be a hard car to follow.... I hope the GT350 can live up to its hype!

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Guys... Here is my story. I have owned a 560rwhp sn95 cobra, e46 M3 and a C6 Z06 before my Boss 302. I was in the market for a car that could combine what all three of those cars did for me with a back seat for the kids. I thought the then new 13 GT500 was it.... Until I drove one. The car honestly feels like a tank next to the Z06 or M3. Very nose heavy and big overall. ...

No shit!

ford20

Established Member
I have to say, I had the opportunity to buy a 2013 GT500 and almost did for a steal of price. Haven driven both a GT500 and a Laguna Seca (at the time). I must admit, I fell in love with the Laguna Seca. The GT500 was an all out monster, just brutal amounts of torque off the line and would spin everywhere you went with it with somewhat of a heavy foot. It sounded great and I enjoyed almost every minute of it. I did get the shifting problems that you have with the T-6060 but at the time I thought, it was nothing the CHE torque limiters and a better shifter couldn't help (assuming the torque limiters didn't snap anything). It handled pretty good I thought (the track pack I think it is called. Whatever the ones with the multi million spoke wheels is), it did understeer a bit if you were pushing it which I would have expected with it. The rear end was a bit jumpy considering the roads he had near his house which is what any live axle car has so again, nothing unexpected here, just a characteristic. The power was pretty smooth, you can feel the loss of torque kind of low I thought (at least that is what I think it was, the feeling of being thrown back wasn't there throughout the range), but still felt like a monster. Overall I lived the car. The power was great (maybe a bit too much at first but I would have gotten used to it I'm sure), it sounded excellent and handled pretty awesome I thought.

Anyway, the deal fell through as some other guy offered him something like 63K for the car or whatever. So I went around looking for something else. Having test driven a Laguna Seca, I have to say the power wasn't as monsterous or Earth shattering, but that is a good thing. I could hook the tires and just ****ing go. The suspension on the GT500 I thought was good but the Laguna Seca blew it away. The steering response was quick and it would just stick in the corners and go where you pointed it. It was just effortless. With the R compounds on there you could throw it into a corner at oh shit speeds and it would stick and beg you to go faster next time. I have to say again the power isn't as brutal but it pulls like a God damn freight train and doesn't want to stop! When Randy Pobst screams torque when he was driving the Laguna Seca around Laguna Seca he wasn't lying. It is a different car than the GT's that I have ridden in. I can understand the gutless comment in the thread when it comes to the power down low, but with the 3.73's it really helps it pick up some steam. It just does everything right, the power, the handling, the shifting, the interior, the driving experience was just world better in the Laguna Seca than it was in the GT500. Did I mention the car just pulls and pulls?

I've driven the boss and was not impressed with the power, it also sounded like a V6. Not really an ideal choice imo especially the way dealers act like its a shelby with pricing. To me the boss is more comparable to the 5.0

What? How in the world does a Boss sound like a V6? Mine sounded nothing like a V6, I think you are going deaf. Yeah, you know that 2 year production run, Ford certified limited edition production, forged motor, different heads, induction setup, race inspired suspension really shouldn't hold it to Shelby like pricing. The last comment in my opinion is almost like saying the GT500 is more comparable to that of the 5.4 out of a F-150 because the engine platform is similar despite the differences from the heads, cams, intake and rotating assembly.

All the mustang mags show these N/A cars with high compression making crazy hp numbers on boost. That's not what the motor was built for, it would be a heck of a good time while it lasted though.

If the procal tunes retained the factory warranty there would be a 750hp FR whipple kit in my future. :-D

thud.gifWhile I don't mean to pick on you personally, and you might not visit this thread or here any longer I just have to scratch my head at this comment. There have been plenty of Boss 302's who have lived at 700+ for a few years without issue, not to mention regular GT's who have been boosted at around 600 HP for many years. Although it is now occurring to me that in 2012 I guess it was still a commonly held belief by those who didn't quite know the 5.0 (as was the belief when the motors fist came out) that with the 11:1 compression they would not last. In fact JPC prefers the higher compression on their builds and I believe it was Justin who had said these motors love compression so why not keep the high compression (paraphrasing of course).

Do a 40 roll in both cars and let me know which one gives you a bigger smile.

Roll Racing? gay.gif

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want crazy, blow the tires off, straight line acceleration, get the Shelby GT500. With a few go fast Mods your going to need plastic surgery to remove the F'ing smile from your face.

^^^This is why I purchased my GT500 and will NEVER sell it! And mine turns left and right too... held my own at VIR against more capable cars. Would love a Boss as a daily driver though :)

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I had both a 14 Shelby and now a 13 Boss. I also have 03-04 Cobras. The 14 Shelby is an amazing machine however the Boss is simply more balanced. Both cars have individual wins over the other. The Shelby was $68k the Boss was $45k. Dollar for dollar the Boss is the better of the 2. On the track the Shelby was just too powerful. I took both on VIR here in VA. All the HP the Shelby has is useless if you can't get it to the payment. I think everyone agrees both a amazing but hands down the boss is just more balanced and raw more like the 03-04 Cobras.

The Shelby is gone now but the Boss remains.

Just my 1/2 cents

gixxer1

Established Member
My whole reason for rehashing this discussion was to point out the Boss is just as quick as any stock 5.4L Gt500. Both are amazing cars.

nickf2005

Established Member
My whole reason for rehashing this discussion was to point out the Boss is just as quick as any stock 5.4L Gt500. Both are amazing cars.

As quick, probably. As fast, no. Yes, both amazing cars. Wish I could have both.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Slower in a straight line? Not according to motortrend /car & driver, bytheway it's just as user friendly as a gt500. No I don't track it and if I had a 13 gt500 I wouldn't do 200 mph either.

2012 Boss 302

0-60 - 4.0 sec (they mention 3.97)
0-100 - 9.2 sec
1/4 mile - 12.3 sec @ 115.8 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph - 108 ft

2011 Shelby GT500

0-60 - 4.1 sec
0-100 - 9.2 sec
1/4 mile - 12.35 sec @ 115.75 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph - 103.83 ft

It's great and all that you can quote magazines. What have YOU ran in your Boss? I went 12.0 at 121 in a stock 2011, show me a stock boss that has that trap speed.

I road race my other mustang, I understand the whole "conferring" concept and balance and all that. For someone who doesn't track their car, they Boss is a waste from a financial standpoint because a Shelby will be faster in a straight line while a 5.0 will be cheaper and do mostly the same stuff, all of which the limit can't be reach on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread