2012 Shelby or 2013 Boss 302

grabber08

Established Member
If you had your pick, which car would you buy for yourself? Thinking of a School Bus Yellow Boss 302, just wanted some opinions and why.

backinastang

Established Member
12 GT500. You can get a low mile one for low $40s which is less than a 13 Boss. Plus it looks better and is faster in all areas. Yes, the GT500 will beat a Boss around a track and yes the Boss handles a bit better but not well enough to make up the power advantage.

12 GT500 better looking than Boss.
It says shelby on the back.
I have had hot chicks want to take pictures of my car.

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member
My biased opinion says a '12 Shelby. I've had mine for a month and absolutely love it. Nothing like a whine of the SC as you get on it hard.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

mullens

Established Member
There's a thread over on TS asking the same thing. The guys that have driven both say the GT500 is the way to go.

nickf2005

Established Member
I would love to get behind the wheel of Boss. Maybe I'll make it to a car show one day and come across one.

FWIW, my choice did not come down to just performance. It came down to the fact that the Shelby, to me, is the most iconic Mustang on the road. I now own a piece of Mustang history with a legend's name on the rear.

mullens

Established Member
I get complimented or asked about my car at least once a week. I doubt the Boss would get the same recognition. I'd love to add one to the stable though...

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I've driven the boss and was not impressed with the power, it also sounded like a V6. Not really an ideal choice imo especially the way dealers act like its a shelby with pricing. To me the boss is more comparable to the 5.0

nickf2005

Established Member
It HAS to be comparable to the 5.0 because it has the 5.0 N/A engine. It's just more refined/tuned/powerful and has a more track worthy suspension.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It HAS to be comparable to the 5.0 because it has the 5.0 N/A engine. It's just more refined/tuned/powerful and has a more track worthy suspension.

Exactly, the toss up would be getting a boss or a 5.0 the shelby is in a different league. Once you start looking at the shelby you start to consider the Z and cars of that caliber.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
GT500 FTW!!!

The Boss is a nice car but all the power is wayyyy up top in the RPM's. It feels "soggy bottom" down low. I can say it does hook better than the Shelby. :) One other thing to consider with the BOss is the Getrag MT-82 trans....Im not a big fan of that transmission.

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
What about a Whippled Boss? Would that make you guys change your decision?
Only reason I ask is that was the thought I had and still do at times when I was shopping for my Shelby. It would probably make as much power or more than a pullied GT500, maybe as much as one with a TVS.

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
It really depends on what you want in a car. I am fortunate to own both. 2011 Shelby GT500 with SVTPP AND Electronics package and I just pick up a 2013 Boss 302 in GHIG color. Two differant animals here. :beer:

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member
What about a Whippled Boss? Would that make you guys change your decision?
Only reason I ask is that was the thought I had and still do at times when I was shopping for my Shelby. It would probably make as much power or more than a pullied GT500, maybe as much as one with a TVS.

Bye Bye Factory Warranty. That's what I would be most concerned with.

grabber08

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500. Great car
love the power and the handling on it. has the PP and is race red w/stripes. I was thinking about the exclusivity of the Boss. Supposedly only 2 years to be made. I will probably keep my 500! It sure is a blast to drive!! Wife gave me the OK to upgrade to the TVS once I got our vacation paid for!! So more incentive to do that than buy a boss and keep it stock!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Doesn't Ford offer a kit similar to the one for the GT's with the Procal tuner? I thought those retained factory warranty. Maybe Im wrong :shrug:

Any blower add on through Ford or not on a 5.0, boss or shelby would not be covered under the powertrain warranty. With the first two not having forged internals the chances of them going boom are much higher. But to answer your question in an earlier post yes that would change things and make them much more appealing. Until the motor let go:lol1:

I know there's quite a few guys running them with no problems yet. However unless your only turning low boost which won't make the power the Shelby can, the ones cranking out the big numbers on high boost are on a ticking time bomb IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread