2012 Stang Rear Brakes Squeaking!!!!

slo-5.0

Established Member
thanks for all the responses, i have an appt to drop it off tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted.

slo-5.0

Established Member
Mine has same problem, just got the hardware under the tsb.
Printable View (50 KB)
TSB
12-1-1 BRAKE SQUEAK/SQUEAL - REAR BRAKES - BUILT 7/19/2011 THROUGH 12/1/2011

Publication Date: January 5, 2012

FORD: 2012 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Mustangs built 7/19/2011 through 12/1/2011 may exhibit a squeak/squeal from the rear brakes during brake application and/or when making turns. The squeak/squeal sounds like a metal-on-metal noise (similar to a brake wear indicator noise). This concern may be due to a rear brake anti-rattle spring clip contacting the brake rotor when applying the brakes due to a broken locating tab on the anti-rattle spring clip. This may allow the anti-rattle spring clip to lightly contact the rotor causing the noise.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove rear brake pads, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-04.
Care must be used when servicing rear brake components without disconnecting the parking brake cable from the brake caliper lever. Carefully position the caliper aside using a suitable support or damage to the parking brake cable end fittings may occur.
Do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose or damage to the hose may occur.
Replace new anti-rattle spring clips from brake hardware kit on both rear calipers even if the clips do not have broken retaining tabs.
Install all hardware supplied with the hardware kit.
Install original brake pads.
Position the brake caliper on the anchor plate.
Install the two (2) brake caliper guide pin bolts until snug.
Tighten the right hand caliper guide pin bolts in the following sequence:
Tighten the top bolt to 33 N-m (24 lb-ft).
Tighten the bottom bolt to 33 N-m (24 lb-ft).
Tighten the left hand caliper guide pin bolts in the following sequence:
Tighten the bottom bolt to 33 N-m (24 lb-ft).
Tighten the top bolt to 33 N-m (24 lb-ft).
Install the wheel and tire, refer to WSM, Section 204-04.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5U2Z-2321-H Brake Hardware Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120101A 2012 Mustang: Install The Rear Brake Hardware Kit Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
2321 01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

this is what the dealer told me. They are going to order the part and I will go back up there once it arrives for them to install. Cant wait getting tired of this squeaking haha

slo-5.0

Established Member
got the car back today from the dealer. And the problem is fixed finally. no more squeaking, i can finally drive with the windows down!!!

2012GTCS

Established Member
I get a chirping type of a squeak ONLY when the brakes are applied lightly. Once I get onto the brakes harder, nothing. And nothing when cruising. Any ideas? Oh and the chirping is loud enough to hear from pretty far away.

slo-5.0

Established Member
i heard this once today, Im gonna keep an eye on it to see if I hear it again. I surely hope I dont though

99mstng

Established Member
Got my car back today - dealer replaced the ring & pinion. Gear whine is now back to normal. They said the right axle was out of round so that was replaced and the squeaking/chirping of the RR brakes is gone. Also my rear end was leaking, a ton of fluid, from the breather and they replaced it with the bladder type style per TSB 12-2-1.

All and all very happy as it seems the rear end is fixed and back to normal.

PushingSpokes

Established Member
I have squeaking brakes too. I have taken the car to the dealer a few times. Last visit the service advisor denied any squeaking and asked to have the car picked up. I did a drive along with the brake tech. and he said he did hear the squeaking and found some rust on the rear brake components which he removed. The squeaks went away for a few days and now they are back again. Here is a video of the squeaking Mustang. I dropped it off yesterday and the dealership wants me to speak to the service manager now. I don't know what to do? I don't think Ford has a fix for this. Should I spend the big bucks and upgrade all the brakes? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2012 Mustang GT Squeaking Brakes documentation for David Wilson's Ford of Orange - YouTube

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
I have squeaking brakes too. I have taken the car to the dealer a few times. Last visit the service advisor denied any squeaking and asked to have the car picked up. I did a drive along with the brake tech. and he said he did hear the squeaking and found some rust on the rear brake components which he removed. The squeaks went away for a few days and now they are back again. Here is a video of the squeaking Mustang. I dropped it off yesterday and the dealership wants me to speak to the service manager now. I don't know what to do? I don't think Ford has a fix for this. Should I spend the big bucks and upgrade all the brakes? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2012 Mustang GT Squeaking Brakes documentation for David Wilson's Ford of Orange - YouTube

You have what I had. The exact noise to a T. Axle flanges were bent causing the rotor to come in contact with the brake hardware.

The f-ing chirping will make you crazy. If your service department won't help you, take it somewhere else. Don't let them tell you that bs that its the brakes causing the problem, it is not. MAKE THEM check the runout on the axle flanges.

PushingSpokes

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I don't know what an axle flange is though. If I were to change the axles to Moser's axles would that solve the issue? Just asking because I'm about to change out the 4.10's to 3.55's and add a Eaton Truetrac.

Last edited:

PushingSpokes

Established Member
Okay after doing a little research I think I know what an axle flange is now. Sorry everyone I'm not all knowing with car talk. I'm thinking that if it is a bent axle flange I could just upgrade my axles and this could solve this issue. Any thoughts?

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Why buy when it could be done for free? The stock axles are pretty darn strong, people are running them up into the 600hp range.

PushingSpokes

Established Member
True, free is better. I'm just tired of taking my car to the dealer and not getting anything fixed. Maybe they will actually get something fixed this time. Thanks for the response.

2012GTCS

Established Member
any update? My chirping is driving me crazy. Im about to watch your video to compare. However with my factory GTCS wheels i get nothing, the RTRs i get the chirping lol. Ive looked and theres NO rubbing

grayghost01gt

Established Member
I got told that my 2011 Mustang GT has sqeuaky brakes because of the high performance pads exhibit alot of brake dust!! Sounds fishy to me! Anyone think the same thing or encounter the same problem? Mine does not sound like metal on metal just squeaky when coming to a stop.

mustang_guy

Established Member
I did mine last week. Bought the hardware kit for $20 from Ford and did it myself to avoid leaving my car at the dealership to be worked on.
One of the 4 clips had a small piece broken other than that they seemed fine other than being extremely dirty for a 2500 mile car.

FEE4B1DC-DF43-497F-8071-670F8ED56CBD-9535-000005FFD206BBFA.gif

No more brake squeal!!!

lsp408

Established Member
As of right now. I am on my 3rd trip to dealership for this damn noise.

It will only making the noise under light braking or with e brake pull up 1notch.

1st of 1st trip was to order anti rattle clip for tsb (which my car built date not in the tsb but dealer order it anyway)
1st of 2nd trip dealer replaced anti rattle clip.

Couple days later noise back again

2nd of 1st trip dealer ordered new rear pads
2nd of 2nd trip dealer replaced rear pad

Couple days later noise come right back

3rd of 1st trip I informed dealer I found info from Internet regarding bent axle flange and they agree to schedule an appointment to look at it

3rd of 2nd trip. I am sitting in the waiting room and the tech say it ain't the bent axle flange without Checking it. Service rider told the tech check whatever he think the problem is but also check the axle.

My car is 2012 gt500 with 3.73 gear

Depend on what the tech say or find, I may just end up put new axle in myself. Just annoyed by this multiple trips with same issue remaining.

Users who are viewing this thread