2013-14 Shelby GT500 Launch Control Controversy!

ItsReal

Established Member
Well guys I have heard so many different takes on the L/C system in the 2013-14s. As far as I can tell it seems to be a amazing feature. Correct me if Im wrong but as long as the tires are hooking and you release the clutch at lets say 4k rpm its going to give you all the power right? The only time it will take effect is if you began to loose traction right? So essentially if you release it at 4k and your tires are hooking it would be the same as if it were not on at all correct? Please inform me if im right or wrong as well as giving me your opinions about it please and thank you.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Not sure I understand what the "controversy" is or what you're asking.

According to Ford, Launch Control is an extension of the traction control system, managing both brakes and engine output to ensure the maximum amount of grip and forward thrust possible. When it's on, it's on. When it's not, it's not.

In my experience, it works to get you going, but skilled racers can do better.

ItsReal

Established Member
Not sure I understand what the "controversy" is or what you're asking.

According to Ford, Launch Control is an extension of the traction control system, managing both brakes and engine output to ensure the maximum amount of grip and forward thrust possible. When it's on, it's on. When it's not, it's not.

In my experience, it works to get you going, but skilled racers can do better.
The controversy is that some people say that a pro driver can do better like what you just said, however from what I can tell it acts like a 2 step. So as long as you have super sticky tires and there not spining, the L/C will have no need to kick in. Basically acting like a factory 2 step, and thus why would you ever not want to use it? This is all from just what I can tell. Not saying Im right by any means lol

Snoopy49

Established Member

LAUNCH CONTROL

Note:
This feature is intended for off road use only where consistent
acceleration is desired. It is not intended for cold, wet or slippery
conditions.
Launch control can be turned on and off with the LC button, or in the
Track Apps menu using the 5-way buttons. RPM setpoint can only be
changed in the Track Apps menu using the 5-way button. Detailed
description of operation modes and recommended usage is outlined in
the AdvanceTrac section.
Launch control is engineered to be used with the original equipment
provided on your GT500. Any modifications to the vehicle may adversely
affect the function or performance.
The launch control feature is integrated with AdvanceTrac® and the
engine controls system to maximize traction from a standing start
acceleration in a straight line. It provides a unique drag start traction
calibration specifically designed for high grip surfaces. This feature lets
you set and hold the desired launch RPM depending on tire temperature,
surface condition or weather. To function properly, AdvanceTrac® must
be ON or in the SPORT mode. If launch control is ON and traction
control is OFF, then the system provides an engine rev control
(two-step) only and no traction management.
See the AdvanceTrac® section to identify the traction modes and
recommended usage.

ItsReal

Established Member
ok so there is a 2 step feature. Ill try and figure out how to activate hit lol. because every time i hit the L/C button traction control seems to automatically come on.

ItsReal

Established Member
So to recap it looks like at the very least its a two step, witch in my opinion would be a huge selling point over the previous Shelbys. Not to mention that you would always want to use it at the track even if you were a pro driver.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Learn the car. Leave on the foot as best as possible with the tire you have.
Launch control was a no-go for me. Suspension & tire upgrades fixed that.
I'm assuming this is a street car for you?
Full on drag car is a different story.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I gave up on launch control, my feet were faster.
I also felt LC would potentially hurt the clutch.
The best advice I can give is choose the right tire. If working on a drag strip, get some 17x9.5” or 10.5” Dragstars with 28.5” MT ET Street R bias ply in 17”
These will make the experience MUCH better.
-J

paluka21

Established Member
I never liked the launch control feature of this car. To me it was more of a hinderance than a helpful nanny due to it limiting power by applying brakes and not letting the driver get a feel for the car. Let’s not also forget about the clutch protection feature that also applys brakes when the ECU detects the smallest amount of clutch slip, and also whatever else is happening with the car with the ASC (assuming) that makes the car nose dive and limit power even when all nannies are turned off.
I think the only way to get full power to the rear tires is through a tune, sticky tires (bias ply) and then turn off all nannies.

Last edited:

ItsReal

Established Member
the manual shows like 8 different modes of L/C one mode is basically a factory 2 step, wouldnt you want to atleast use that? having a set rpm with the throttle pinned seems really nice for launching the car.

ItsReal

Established Member
I never liked the launch control feature of this car. To me it was more of a hinderance than a helpful nanny due to it limiting power by applying brakes and not letting the driver get a feel for the car. Let’s not also forget about the clutch protection feature that also applys brakes when the ECU detects the smallest amount of clutch slip, and also whatever else is happening with the car with the ASC (assuming) that makes the car nose dive and limit power even when all nannies are turned off.
I think the only way to get full power to the rear tires is through a tune, sticky tires (bias ply) and then turn off all nannies.
Not even mode 6? witch is the factory two step. even pro drivers would want that. Its like having a stall converter for a manual tranny.

ItsReal

Established Member
and yes this is a street/occasional strip car

paluka21

Established Member
Not even mode 6? witch is the factory two step. even pro drivers would want that. Its like having a stall converter for a manual tranny.
No I don’t prefer the launch control at all with this car. It is easier to get better 60’s and a solid launch without bogging with the nannies turned off.
Mode 6; aren’t you referring to the active stability / traction control feature?

Snoopy49

Established Member
AdvanceTrac Mode Descriptions and Usage.jpg

Last edited:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
the manual shows like 8 different modes of L/C one mode is basically a factory 2 step, wouldnt you want to atleast use that? having a set rpm with the throttle pinned seems really nice for launching the car.
To be totally honest, I tried the launch control maybe twice after I had some break-in miles on the car. I ordered early & got it in July of '12.
After that, I kinda forgot the car even had it. I usually run in Sport Mode.
When I was playing with launching the car, I soon found with the stock gear, higher RPM & slipping the clutch some was the answer. Get it rolling, the go WOT.
My traction problems were allready eliminated when I received the car because I had 11.75" rear wheels w/Toyo 888 315's ready to bolt on.
For street use, I quit trying to launch the car from a dig. It's just too hard on everything. I'm @675 RWHP with no spin.
But.. A 5MPH roll? I'm ready. And it hooks. 100%.
For street use, even with the tall gear, the car remains unbeaten. That includes a couple of hellcats.
They were both stick cars. One stock, the other I'm not sure.
One thing about "all off". Holding the console button down. All nannies off... You'd better have lotsa room before trying this, no shit. Or you'll have a wrecked Shelby.

paluka21

Established Member
They were both stick cars. One stock, the other I'm not sure.
One thing about "all off". Holding the console button down. All nannies off... You'd better have lotsa room before trying this, no shit. Or you'll have a wrecked Shelby.

Very true indeed. My best recommendation, if the OP does not believe recommendations from owners who have tried, then let him go purchase a 13/14 car and see for himself.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Very true indeed. My best recommendation, if the OP does not believe recommendations from owners who have tried, then let him go purchase a 13/14 car and see for himself.
Heck I was reading it as he allready had the car.
After reading the OP more carefully, I guess he's just asking the question?

Users who are viewing this thread