2013/2014 GT500 vs Charger Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I'm very curious how the performance of these two cars compare. I know the Shelby is a much more special car, being a Shelby and being the last Shelby that Carroll Shelby had a hand in etc etc. This thread is just simply to compare the performance of the 2013/2014 GT500 and the Charger Hellcat (not challenger), nothing more.

So by looking at the stats, acceleration of the two cars are very similar. The Shelby getting a 3.5 second run to 60 by motor trend (although I've never gotten under 4 with the stock tires) and an 11.6 second 1/4 mile run at 125.7 mph. The Charger Hellcat was tested at 0-60 in 3.7 seconds with a 1/4 mile time of 11.8 at 124.3mph. It's after that where the information gets a little more interesting. I've been searching for 0-150mph times, and it looks like the Charger hellcat is faster 0-150. Somebody on these forums in another thread posted that Car and Driver got a 0-150 time of 15.8 seconds for the hellcat, which is crazy. Car and driver tested our Shelby at 17.6 seconds 0-150mph, which still beats the new Z06.

So it seems like in terms of acceleration, it's a drivers race, until you get past the 1/4 mile mark or in the super top end, in which the test results would seem to indicate the hellcat would walk away. Does this seem right?

As far as handling and braking, it seems the cars are similar also. The Charger stoping from 60 to 0 in 104 feet, and our car doing it in 101 feet, even though they emphasized brake fade (which I haven't experienced) and they didn't report in the 4,500 lb sedan, which is remarkable.

Handling seems similar to, according to the numbers, even though the law of physics would indicate the GT500 would be the more nimble car. The Charger's figure 8 time on Motor Trend was 24.5 seconds with a .91 average g. Our car had a 24.2 second figure 8 time with a .80 average g. Lateral acceleration g force for our cars was recorded as .98 avg on Motor Trend and .94 avg g for the Hellcat.

So from the numbers, one could conclude that the performance of these two cars are very similar. I'd still love to see a comparison for the stuff you can't measure in numbers.

I like the Charger Hellcat A LOT. I kind of like the idea of having the Shelby's performance, but in a car that's completely practical with 4 doors, huge back seat, huge trunk and can be driven every day in complete comfort. That is, of course, if the performance is really comparable to our cars. What are your thoughts?

ThomasL

Established Member
It would be a fun sedan for sure. I'd get this over the Challenger. But i wouldnt get rid of the Shelby for one.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
It would be a fun sedan for sure. I'd get this over the Challenger. But i wouldnt get rid of the Shelby for one.

Agreed on getting the Charger over the Challenger. Between the Challenger and GT500, I would take the GT500 of course. Between the Charger and the GT500, it's actually causing me to stop and think. I'd love the same performance of my GT500 in a much more practical package that I can drive every day, year round.

coyotehp

Established Member
I predict problems with the Chargers. My neighbor has bought 3 of them in the past year and have had nothing but trouble with misfires with them. Kept trading in for another one hoping he just got a 'lemon' issue that couldn't be fixed. I know others that have them and had some type of electrical issue. The hellcat version may be a total win? Time will tell.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Considering the abysmal reports of how the Hellcat Challenger performs on a road course, I don't see the Charger being a completely different animal. My GT500 feels great on a road course. The more important thing to consider than questionable magazine numbers is if you're never going to race on a track (you want a big trunk and big backset) then you're not at risk of being disappointed no matter what car you choose. You're not going to feel the difference enough to care on the street.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
From what I've read and heard, the Charger Hellcat out handles the Challenger noticeably. The chief engineer in one of the videos stated that the Challengers suspension is set up more like a classic muscle car, soft and floaty, while the suspension in the Charger is more like that of a sports car.

SVTGROUPIE

Established Member
I predict problems with the Chargers. My neighbor has bought 3 of them in the past year and have had nothing but trouble with misfires with them. Kept trading in for another one hoping he just got a 'lemon' issue that couldn't be fixed. I know others that have them and had some type of electrical issue. The hellcat version may be a total win? Time will tell.

I had a Jeep SRT in 08. The motor went south at 17k miles. Oh, I take really good care of my vehicles, as they are all adult driven and maintained in my garage. Chrysler repaired it but did not offer me a loaner...wow! That was the last time I bought a dodge/chrysler product. I was at a track event a few years but when the Challenger SRT8 came out...beautiful black car loaded to the hill. Anyways, he and another car line up to make a pass. Upon take off, his car broke at the line. ...something to do with driveshaft. This car was brand new. To me and based on my experiences, Ford is a more durable and reliable product than the dodge/chrysler brand. I don't mean to offend but just my experience and seeing others. Also, they are not as mod friendly as the Fords and Chevys

Eleanor14

Established Member
I've also had a Charger SRT-8 that I actually really enjoyed, but the 13-14 GT500 is very special in my opinion. I had one that I sold about a year ago to purchase a 97 Blue/White Viper GTS w/ 6k original miles on it. After selling the GT500 I could not get it out of my mind. I fell in love with the engine and I've been fortunate enough to have had a lot of cars in the past to compare it to. I talked so much about the GT500 over this last year that my wife finally said why don't you just buy one actually drive it and enjoy it. I ended up getting my 2014 last week and I have to say I would not trade this car for a Charger or Challenger Hellcat. As everyone on here knows, it would not take much to get the GT500 to spank the overweight Dodge. This is just my opinion, but being the last Shelby with CS still alive IS a big deal for me. I think the 13-14 GT500 is a special car and after having driven most cars that we consider "special cars", I am in love with the feel and power band of the 5.8. That is strictly my opinion as of now.

Mombo

Established Member
Yes 100%

I've also had a Charger SRT-8 that I actually really enjoyed, but the 13-14 GT500 is very special in my opinion. I had one that I sold about a year ago to purchase a 97 Blue/White Viper GTS w/ 6k original miles on it. After selling the GT500 I could not get it out of my mind. I fell in love with the engine and I've been fortunate enough to have had a lot of cars in the past to compare it to. I talked so much about the GT500 over this last year that my wife finally said why don't you just buy one actually drive it and enjoy it. I ended up getting my 2014 last week and I have to say I would not trade this car for a Charger or Challenger Hellcat. As everyone on here knows, it would not take much to get the GT500 to spank the overweight Dodge. This is just my opinion, but being the last Shelby with CS still alive IS a big deal for me. I think the 13-14 GT500 is a special car and after having driven most cars that we consider "special cars", I am in love with the feel and power band of the 5.8. That is strictly my opinion as of now.

This is how i feel about the 2013 / 2014 GT500's ^^^^^ IPHONE 1735.JPGIPHONE 1736.JPGIPHONE 1737.JPG

I worked at a exotic car dealership for 19 years

We sold new Bentley / Rolls Royce / Lambo's / plus everything exotic

Had every make and model of fast car's on the lot / 458's / 911's / AMG's / BMW M's

2013 / 2014 Shelby GT500 are very special car's and i am very happy to own one :-D

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I have no doubt at all about which car is the more special car (GT500 by a long shot), I was just wondering on how the all around performance compares and if the Charger Hellcats performance can match that of the GT500, all while being more "practical."

I have the winter blues right now, I miss driving my car. This is the first winter I had a car like this that I had to wait for spring to drive it, and it's driving me MAD! The roads are filthy, covered in salt, with giant pot holes the size of small swimming pools, and the temperature has been brutal.

Whenever I open the garage, I just see this staring back at me :(

ba2443b4-6b7c-4d00-9ccd-eaf48ce8aee5_zpse26dddb5.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Funny post I was just having the conversation with my wife at dinner last night that I'll probably buy a HC Charger for my sedan DD next year. I just sold my '04 AMG E55 and need a 4-door that's fun, I see the HC as the most fun per dollar and will likely hold its value.
I would never consider selling my GT500 for one though. The numbers might be close but I'd bet the driving experience is much different.
Gotta love big USA V8 muscle.
-J
:beer:

99VERT

Established Member
The best part of all these new age muscle cars is we are here in the thick of it! I can't tell you how many times my friends and I talked about "what if we could of been around in the days to buy a Hemi "cuda or 70 Chevelle SS 454"! These are definitely good times to be a muscle car fan!

Snkedriver

Established Member
Not sure about the Charger but I have a 15 Challenger Hellcat with a A8 and the car is a Beast. I am very impressed with what Dodge did on the Hellcat. You can tell the size difference between my 14 GT500 and the Hellcat but the Hellcat is much more planted on acceleration than the Shelby maybe due to weight or the Dodge traction control is better. It's interesting how many amenities come included on the Hellcat back up camera,back up sensors,rear cross traffic,side lane change alert,automatic high beams,lumbar support, cruise control, digital speedo and much better electronics the SRT pages are excellent. The intake through the headlight is cool too. There both Great cars I consider myself lucky to own both.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Considering the abysmal reports of how the Hellcat Challenger performs on a road course...

Abysmal?? Thats a really strong word...

712b33ac7c0fdff003d292c31fbc0632.jpg

According to Streets of Willow lap times the GT500, Audi R8, and C6 Grand Sport are all MORE abysmal than the fatcat sedan around that slow course.

Funny thing is the scat pack 6.4 was a second quicker than the hellcat. One word. Tires.

Nothing is "abysmal" about any of those cars handling abilities in that list.

From what I've read and heard, the Charger Hellcat out handles the Challenger noticeably. The chief engineer in one of the videos stated that the Challengers suspension is set up more like a classic muscle car, soft and floaty, while the suspension in the Charger is more like that of a sports car.

Its actually the opposite. The challenger has the stiffer suspension. Always has.

Back on topic. Hellcat in any form, charger or challenger will pull a GT500 from a roll more often than not.

Last edited:

Mombo

Established Member
Both Sweet Cars

Not sure about the Charger but I have a 15 Challenger Hellcat with a A8 and the car is a Beast. I am very impressed with what Dodge did on the Hellcat. You can tell the size difference between my 14 GT500 and the Hellcat but the Hellcat is much more planted on acceleration than the Shelby maybe due to weight or the Dodge traction control is better. It's interesting how many amenities come included on the Hellcat back up camera,back up sensors,rear cross traffic,side lane change alert,automatic high beams,lumbar support, cruise control, digital speedo and much better electronics the SRT pages are excellent. The intake through the headlight is cool too. There both Great cars I consider myself lucky to own both.

Nice to see a member with both of these sweet machines.

I think the Hellcat Challenger looks better than the Hellcat Charger.

But would like to have the Charger next to my Shelby for a DD and leave the GT500 for weekends.

Good luck with it, Please let us know about your Hellcat and how she compares to the GT500 on the street.

I think it's a great car and was thinking about getting one before i saw the Hellcat Charger.

delvek

Established Member
Back on topic. Hellcat in any form, charger or challenger will pull a GT500 from a roll more often than not.

How are you coming to this conclusion?

I am assuming you are talking about both cars in stock form although it will be rare to face a stock GT500.

Anyway, okay stock...

Charger: 707 hp at 6,000 RPM and 650tq at 4,500 RPM weighing 4,400 LBS. HP to Weight ratio being 6.22 lbs per 1 HP.
GT500: 662 hp at 6,500 RPM and 631 tq at 4,200 RPM weighing 3,845 LBS. HP to Weight ratio being 5.8 lbs per 1 HP

Summary...

The Charger has 45 hp and 19 tq more then the GT500 but also weighs 655 LBS more then the GT500.

We have no idea what actual numbers are to the wheels either for the Hellcat, again, I dont see where your coming to your conclusion, especially since we have seen several auto reviewers have complications with the Hellcat delivery factory 0-60 and 1/4 miles times.

I guess if you found a stock GT500 its my opinion it would pull away from a Hellcat from a roll with little issue...

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
How are you coming to this conclusion?

I am assuming you are talking about both cars in stock form although it will be rare to face a stock GT500.

Anyway, okay stock...

Charger: 707 hp at 6,000 RPM and 650tq at 4,500 RPM weighing 4,400 LBS. HP to Weight ratio being 6.22 lbs per 1 HP.
GT500: 662 hp at 6,500 RPM and 631 tq at 4,200 RPM weighing 3,845 LBS. HP to Weight ratio being 5.8 lbs per 1 HP

Summary...

The Charger has 45 hp and 19 tq more then the GT500 but also weighs 655 LBS more then the GT500.

We have no idea what actual numbers are to the wheels either for the Hellcat, again, I dont see where your coming to your conclusion, especially since we have seen several auto reviewers have complications with the Hellcat delivery factory 0-60 and 1/4 miles times.

I guess if you found a stock GT500 its my opinion it would pull away from a Hellcat from a roll with little issue...

LOL

Ok now do that same math replacing the GT500 with a C7Z. Also a Viper and C6Z...

There have been MANY hellcats on the dyno.

Also those same reviewers got quicker 0-150 times from BOTH hellcats. Especially the charger.

The hellcat challenger was only .3 slower than a ZR1 in the standing MILE. Again the charger is more aerodynamic and might even end up being quicker than the ZR1.

Recap from 0-150 the charger puts a 2 second gap on a GT500. The less aerodynamic challenger over the course of a mile (175-180mph) is only .3 seconds behind a ZR1. We all know how GT500 and ZR1 races turn out.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Abysmal?? Thats a really strong word...

712b33ac7c0fdff003d292c31fbc0632.jpg

According to Streets of Willow lap times the GT500, Audi R8, and C6 Grand Sport are all MORE abysmal than the fatcat sedan around that slow course.

Funny thing is the scat pack 6.4 was a second quicker than the hellcat. One word. Tires.

Nothing is "abysmal" about any of those cars handling abilities in that list.

Its actually the opposite. The challenger has the stiffer suspension. Always has.

I'll ignore the fact those numbers don't make any sense and are different drivers, different days, under different conditions and simply squash your argument with the simple fact the car I mentioned isn't even on your list. :read:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread