2013/2014 GT500 vs Charger Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
[video=youtube;HmCj0rPky90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmCj0rPky90[/video]

Here is a tire comparison for both the GT500 and Hellcat. The Hellcat running some beat up MTs. Both cars on 305 radials.
http://instagram.com/p/0yjRVjBwTd

Yup, nothing is touching an auto Hellcat. Being the nerd that I am, I have been over analyzing time slips from both the 2013/2014 GT500 and auto Hellcats for the last month. Even the GT500's (modified) that seem to get similar 1/4 mile or even slightly better 1/4 mile times and the same or eve faster trap speeds in the 1/4 than the Hellcat, are notably slower in the 1/8th mile in both trap speeds and ET. So Basically, from a dig or any roll under 80, the auto Hellcat is going to jump ahead of the GT500 because of it's super quick shifts and short/close ratio gears. From an 80 roll with the GT500 starting in 3rd, I think they'd be side by side until it's time for the GT500 to shift, at which point the Hellcat passes it again.

The new 8 speed auto in the Hellcat has both the advantages of a geared car and the advantages of a car with long gears (such as the GT500). It rips through gears at lower speeds to out accelerate Jesus on his divine golden chariot, and has enough gears in it to still have really long legs on the big end to have the insane top speed that it has and to get there as relatively swiftly as it does.

Dodge hit this one out of the park. I saw, heard and sat in a Charger Hellcat last week end and it's beautiful. All I know is, I want one :D

Sorry for nerding out, I have nothing else to do at the moment

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There is nothing beat up about those Mt's. They will still hook better than the 555R's. Even if they are worn smooth.

[video=youtube;HmCj0rPky90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmCj0rPky90[/video]

Here is a tire comparison for both the GT500 and Hellcat. The Hellcat running some beat up MTs. Both cars on 305 radials.
http://instagram.com/p/0yjRVjBwTd

Kewlv8

Established Member
[video=youtube;HmCj0rPky90][/video]

[/URL]

Can you zoom a little closer there Sherlock? Tire-gate? Lol

paluka21

Established Member
Thats what I thought. Thanks. This shop owner is trying to bullshit me and doing a HORRIBLE job at it lol. If he only knew how much time i spend here.

He also claimed to run a bone stock 5.8 GT500 to a 11.2@124 with a 1.9 60ft and trapped 101 in the 1/8. I looked at the 5.8 fast list on here and that gave me the first hint that he's full of shit. Lol

I'd believe the 11.2@124 while tearing up the clutch, but not the 101mph 1/8th mile time. Call me a skeptic.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
I'd believe the 11.2@124 while tearing up the clutch, but not the 101mph 1/8th mile time. Call me a skeptic.

What struck me as odd is that claim matched NjTony's time, with a .10 worse 60ft and 3mph less trap. Where as NjTony's time was at Atco in Nov and im assuming his was in Houston. While i know we can get great DA down here in the south as well not many places are as fast as Atco in Nov. For me. Skeptic is putting it lightly.

paluka21

Established Member
What struck me as odd is that claim matched NjTony's time, with a .10 worse 60ft and 3mph less trap. Where as NjTony's time was at Atco in Nov and im assuming his was in Houston. While i know we can get great DA down here in the south as well not many places are as fast as Atco in Nov. For me. Skeptic is putting it lightly.

It's impossible to say. I'd have to see the slip. If the guy is good at shifting, despite his 60', it is possible. These cars are no slouches and are more than capable of a low 11 second time, but most people run poor times due to the inability to launch it because of the built in protection features. I guess Ford realized people would be shredding the clutches and rears in these cars if they didn't tame the thing down to a degree.
If you know who this guy is, you should ask him for the time slip. Only way to verify if to go directly to the source.

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
I have to say that when this post first began I was a little biased being a gt500 owner but after seeing all of these posts I realize the Hellcat is a heck of a car. Dodge has done a super job on this car and it is a true muscle car. One thing I enjoy about this hobby is the variety we enjoy and the choices we have when trying to decide what we want to drive. With that said, I have always been a mustang guy at heart and will continue to be. The 13/14 shelby is a beast of a car and I will continue to enjoy driving mine. It seems that car manufacturers continue to impress year to year and with the new gt350 and soon to come new gt500, ford will regain the hp title once again.

BeltFed_1

Can you zoom a little closer there Sherlock? Tire-gate? Lol

Sorry brother, I am trying to provide you with as much evidence as possible of what I know, so you can come up with a new excuse. I love the GT500, but I hate the elitist crowd. But granted, I mean it has been the king of the muscle cars for just under a decade, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

mobeydick

Established Member
I doubt it. My 07 made 561 with a CAI Upper pulley LTs and a tune on C16. I had put 3.73 in also which will hold back about 15hp over 3.31s.

Ive got a question for you guys. Will a 09 GT500 lay down 600+ rwhp with just a upper, cai, and xpipe?

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
I doubt it. My 07 made 561 with a CAI Upper pulley LTs and a tune on C16. I had put 3.73 in also which will hold back about 15hp over 3.31s.

Since when do gears hold back horsepower? Essentially they're just multiplying the torque faster by keeping the car in an specified rpm range, rather than adding parasitic drag or altering air/fuel/spark.

Darth Racer

Established Member
Gains of 37rwhp with ONLY the addition of an intake, no tuning. Tuned cars are showing gains of 40+ rwhp with no added parts. They're saying with an intake, larger crank pulley and tune, these things are gonna be in the 9's. Which is ridiculous.

They'll need more than that to get into the 9s. LOL...there are plenty of '13/'14 GT500s in the 9s.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Ive got a question for you guys. Will a 09 GT500 lay down 600+ rwhp with just a upper, cai, and xpipe?

with a 2.4 pulley, ORX & tune my 11 made 585ish rw (589 on one pull, 586 on the other) on Justin's Dyno (uncorrected I assume). Weather was absolutely perfect that morning for a hero dyno pull (low 40's, no humidity, basically mineshaft DA in Florida)...I want to say it was in the 560rw range corrected...

600rw on a pulley, tune & ORX seems ambitious...

Last edited:

mobeydick

Established Member
Since when do gears hold back horsepower? Essentially they're just multiplying the torque faster by keeping the car in an specified rpm range, rather than adding parasitic drag or altering air/fuel/spark.

If you don't believe me try it, you will lose about 15hp going from 3.31 to 3.73 on a chassis dyno. Why do you see some of the guy have people sitting in the trunks of the cars on dynos. I'll tell you, 45psi in the tires and they are slipping on the rollers! PSI makes a small difference also!
But the difference is the steeper cuts on the gearing and more of them on the ring!.

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
If you don't believe me try it, you will lose about 15hp going from 3.31 to 3.73 on a chassis dyno. Why do you some of the guy have people sitting in the trunks of the cars on dynos. I'll tell you, 45psi in the tires and they are slipping on the rollers! PSI makes a small difference also!
But the difference is the steeper cuts on the gearing and more of them on the ring!.

When dynoing your car in 4th gear (manual) which is a 1:1 gear ratio, a rear end gear change should have no effect on horsepower output. The same would be said if you were to put a smaller rear tire on the car (shorter tire) which would effectively change the gearing of the car to more steep. When you're changing gears I could see it changing the torque reading on the dyno, as the dyno is essentially measuring how much torque it take per rpm to move x amount of force, which can then be used to calculate HP. Perhaps I didn't explain that correctly, but essentially, unless someone showed me first hand that stepping up to a steeper gear would cause HP loss, I wouldn't believe it.

mobeydick

Established Member
When dynoing your car in 4th gear (manual) which is a 1:1 gear ratio, a rear end gear change should have no effect on horsepower output. The same would be said if you were to put a smaller rear tire on the car (shorter tire) which would effectively change the gearing of the car to more steep. When you're changing gears I could see it changing the torque reading on the dyno, as the dyno is essentially measuring how much torque it take per rpm to move x amount of force, which can then be used to calculate HP. Perhaps I didn't explain that correctly, but essentially, unless someone showed me first hand that stepping up to a steeper gear would cause HP loss, I wouldn't believe it.
Well it does is all I can tell you. You don't believe me try it!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Really waiting to see some TRACK results and vids now that spring is coming in the northern states.
All the horrible street vids and bench racing here makes my head hurt.
-J

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Horsepower is provided by the engine. Gears provide the application of the horsepower to the ground. Higher or lower gear ratios will not affect horsepower output of an engine but will impact the HP/Torque curve shown when you are using a Rear Wheel-driven dyno. Maybe this is the effect Mobey is talking about?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Lots of typing to explain, best take at a short explanation is, on an inertial dyno, higher numerical gears result in a shorter pull, the drivetrain gets accelerated quicker, which takes more HP, so less power gets transmitted to the rollers.

paluka21

Established Member
Lots of typing to explain, best take at a short explanation is, on an inertial dyno, higher numerical gears result in a shorter pull, the drivetrain gets accelerated quicker, which takes more HP, so less power gets transmitted to the rollers.

Perhaps an inertia only dyno might be affected by something such as this, but I can't see how horsepower across an rpm range would be negatively affected -at- the motor. With an eddy current dyno I've had my previous car dynoed many of times with several different tire combinations (taller:28", and shorter 26") which would mimic a gear change, and with the same motor combination horsepower was not affected. The eddy current also took in consideration tire height which I'm not certain if an inertia only such as the dynojet does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread