2013 Ford Shelby GT500 certified at 662 hp and 630 pound-feet

FordGTGuy

Established Member
In the high-stakes world of performance cars, horsepower is king. It's the first stat bragged about by owners trying to explain why their Camaro, Challenger or Mustang is better than their foes', and it's the headline figure promoted by the automakers themselves year after year.

When Ford announced that the 2013 Shelby GT500 would be punishing the pavement with 650 horses, the world stood up and took notice. Remember, though, these were just estimated figures, as the car had not yet been SAE certified. If reports from the Team Shelby message board prove accurate, the 2013 GT500 has finally gotten its official figures.

How's about 662 horsepower and 630 pound-feet of torque?

Yep, that'll do. It's notable that these figures represent increases of 12 horsepower and 30 lb-ft over the earlier estimates, and they also put even more distance between Ford's top-performing Mustang and Chevy's 580-horsepower Camaro ZL1. It also means the Shelby lays down considerably more ponies that the Corvette ZR1 and its 638 horsepower and 604 lb-ft.

Now, will we see a corresponding horsepower-addled response from Chrysler or General Motors? Only time will tell.

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 certified at 662 hp and 630 pound-feet

FordGTGuy

Established Member
With the ability to hit 0 - 60 in 1st gear, sub 4 second 0 - 60 should be doable for sure.

Low 3s.....ehhhh that could be a stretch

Considering the P/W ratios:

Ford GT 6.36
GT500 5.81

with the fact that the Ford GT managed around 3.7 seconds and without any traction control or launch control I would say it's entirely possible for the GT500 to hit mid to low 3s.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Someone fill me in. Obviously I know what the word certify means, but who does this for engines? Is this done by the manufacturer once all production 'wrinkles' have been ironed out?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Considering the P/W ratios:

Ford GT 6.36
GT500 5.81

with the fact that the Ford GT managed around 3.7 seconds and without any traction control or launch control I would say it's entirely possible for the GT500 to hit mid to low 3s.
pretty massive difference in weight distribution that your not accounting for.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Someone fill me in. Obviously I know what the word certify means, but who does this for engines? Is this done by the manufacturer once all production 'wrinkles' have been ironed out?

All manufacturers submit their motors to SAE (Society of American Engineers) for final certification. SAE runs independent tests on the motor to verify the manufacturers claims for horsepower, torque, fuel mileage, durability etc.
This helps to prevent manufactures from overstating performance. This is why you see terms such as SAE Net HP, etc.

SteelTownStang

Established Member
All that power and those ridiculously skinny wheels/tires... makes no sense! At least Weldcraft will maintain a steady flow of customers...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
All manufacturers submit their motors to SAE (Society of American Engineers) for final certification. SAE runs independent tests on the motor to verify the manufacturers claims for horsepower, torque, fuel mileage, durability etc.
This helps to prevent manufactures from overstating performance. This is why you see terms such as SAE Net HP, etc.
IIRC, they also randomly pull engines from the assembly line to make sure they are within 2% of rating as well. i'm not 100% on that though.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
How does Ford get that power to the ground with skinny tires? Isn't that always the problem? I am thinking upper 3's with stock tires. 3.7-3.9. Just my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread