2013 Ford Shelby GT500 certified at 662 hp and 630 pound-feet

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
This is so awesome and insane all at the same time....I told my wife yesterday about the power bump her response " great they decided to give YOU more Powahhh" I laughed and she added" so what do the camaro fanboys think of this news??" LOL....i love my woman!

One thing I will add....I really hope this 2013 absolutely destroys the ZL1 at a roadcourse, then there will be no excuses

GarageLogic

Established Member
Awesome, an official Ford press release. I'm really impressed by...hold on, phone is ringing....

Sorry about that. I'll have to finish my thoughts later. I just received a call from my boss and he said he said an irate customer needs a technician to come over to their place of business and recalibrate their simulator. Seems the original company that was performing that service was fired earlier today!

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
DBK is actually a Good-Year board member.......

:lol1:

No but seriously, it's a big deal to get the F1:G2 hot if you want it to stick. And if you do get it hot, it works really well.

The obvious alternative is to just get DRs and call it a day, but if you want to try and run some good numbers stock, you'll do yourself a big favor by making sure the tires are super hot.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
It's not but don't worry about it. :lol1:

Koenigsegg Agera has a 1000 hp TT V8.

You know, i immediately thought this.

I am wondering if they mean mass production.. as the Koenigsegg is very limited production. I think they probably make 20 cars/ year as opposed to 8000?

I was waiting for someone to clarify that from Ford (or SAE) myself

40calcobra

Established Member
Awesome, an official Ford press release. I'm really impressed by...hold on, phone is ringing....

Sorry about that. I'll have to finish my thoughts later. I just received a call from my boss and he said he said an irate customer needs a technician to come over to their place of business and recalibrate their simulator. Seems the original company that was performing that service was fired earlier today!

Al o. Is having geek squad install Microsoft windows 15 on his simulator. That alone should put the zl1 on top

Go-Fast

Established Member
Lights out Camaro ZL1!!! :poke: :burn:

GT500-Most-Powerful-V8.jpg

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
You know, i immediately thought this.

I am wondering if they mean mass production.. as the Koenigsegg is very limited production. I think they probably make 20 cars/ year as opposed to 8000?

I was waiting for someone to clarify that from Ford (or SAE) myself

Chris, this is indeed the reason they can claim it as the fastest. I forget where I read it, but I'll try to find it if I can. The article actually stated a few V8s that produced more HP then the 5.8, but all examples were very limited productions.

This is the fastest, mass produced V8.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Chris, this is indeed the reason they can claim it as the fastest. I forget where I read it, but I'll try to find it if I can. The article actually stated a few V8s that produced more HP then the 5.8, but all examples were very limited productions.

This is the fastest, mass produced V8.

If you find it pass it along, would like to see it :)

Thank you!

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Wow. I guess the simulator did not calculate this happening. Maybe AL O got a did not compute and just ignored it...

13 GT500 is truly a beast right off the lot. Now imagine running into one with pulley and tune.....or even my mods done.....

Methinks I may need to get that Whipple installed.....

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
If you find it pass it along, would like to see it :)

Thank you!

Still looking, but this one has some interesting info about other cars and the 5.8. Might have seen this article already but here is an excert from it:

There's no doubt the new 5.8 modular is the most powerful V-8 in current volume production, but depending on how you want to parse the phrase "volume production," it might not hold the record.

In our personal experience, the 427ci V-8 in the Saleen S7 was rated at 750 hp and it was a production engine, albeit truly limited production. The Saleen V-8 was emission-certified in the U.S. and Europe, was warrantied, and Saleen produced and sold roughly 30 such Twin Turbos before the S7 lost its crash certification due to lack of a passive restraint (airbag). Saleen VP of Engineering Billy Tally developed the S7 engine from Ford Clevor architecture and it made its 750 hp in a walk; boost was but 4.5 pounds. We witnessed an engine dyno verification of a track-only (not emission-legal) special-order S7 engine that had nothing more than the wastegates screwed down to 8 pounds of boost. It made 1,012 hp.

A surprising number of other high-powered contenders turn out to be V-10s or V-12s, such as the Viper V-10, which doesn't equal the 5.8's power in any event. Then there's Chevy's ZR1 Corvette V-8, boasting 6.2 liters of displacement and the same Eaton 2.3-liter supercharger as the Ford 5.8, but coming up a hair short at 638 hp. Mercedes Benz has turned out some hefty V-8s, but not equaling 650 hp. Shelby Super Cars SSC Ultimate Aero has used blown or turbo'd small-block Chevy derivatives variously rated in the high 1,100hp league, but we seriously doubt these are emission-legal engines.

Koenigsegg, a Swedish supercar builder, has produced a 904hp twin-turbo V-8 certified for European road use, but it's never been legalized in the more restrictive North American market. Like the Saleen S7, the Koenigsegg is produced in numbers Ford would consider appropriate for prototype testing.

The same can be said for the Danish-sourced Zenvo ST1, which uses a bespoke aluminum version of the Chevy LS block, a supercharger, and two turbos to post a 1,100-plus-horsepower rating. But with only 15 cars scheduled for production, significant secrecy around the entire project, and North American emissions doubtful, it's not our idea of a production V-8 either.

We're sure other boutique V-8s can challenge SVT's 5.8-liter on horsepower, but none come even laughably close to meeting Ford durability standards, pricing, warranty service in one of several thousand dealerships across the U.S., or production by the thousands. When it comes to the most powerful real-world production engine, SVT's 5.8 is the one to beat.

Read more: 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5.8L V8 - Power Of Three - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
What is Ford's halo performance car? And GM's? That is comparing apples to apples.

Why do people have to be so goddamn stupid? Comparing a 2 seater 115k dollar sports car to a 4 seater 55k dollar pony car is "apples to apples"? Good Lord.

04nccobra

Established Member
Big time numbers, this car should see 575 to the wheels easy. She is going to be a beast on the street, all with a warranty to boot. Can't wait to see what it will run with a set of DRs out back.

Thinking back a bit at how impressed we were with the 04 Cobra rated at 390hp and here about 8 years later Ford releases the Shelby with 272 more hp is amazing.

slidai

Established Member
It's not but don't worry about it. :lol1:

Koenigsegg Agera has a 1000 hp TT V8.

Sure it is. The Koenigsegg does not have a production engine. Consdering the GT500 is made on an assembly line with other model mustangs. Creating a couple cars a year is not considered production.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Holy crapola. Should be a wild ride. With those tires, you guys be careful on the street with these things, especially in cooler weather. Keep TC & SC enabled, unless you are absolutely sure.

Can someone explain how this whole SAE certification process works? I understand the whole part about limiting engine to engine variations, but not how they calculate maximum power. If max power is a "certified" 662 at 6250, how does this over rev play into things? By advertising it as a temporary feature, are they able to skirt the testing rules a bit, or does power actually drop off past 6250?

I would guess Ford rates this engine based on the absolute lowest allowable variance (675hp -2% variance) to guarantee everyone gets the advertised power. Just not sure on the whole over rev thingy.. Doesn't seem to be much detailed info available,

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Why do people have to be so goddamn stupid? Comparing a 2 seater 115k dollar sports car to a 4 seater 55k dollar pony car is "apples to apples"? Good Lord.

How about comparing the GT500 to a Porsche 911 or Jaguar XK RS? They have 4 seats. :D

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
Damn, I really thought they were overrating the 13 GT500 at 650. Guess I was wrong, lol. Go Ford!

Users who are viewing this thread