2013 GT500 VMP Gen3 TVS results.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Why did you get rid of it?
I was sick of broken promises on roll out of the throttle body. With twin 68 there was essentially no difference b/w gen2r and gen3. I was offered to trade even up for an brand new KB 3.6 + big TB and CAI all installed at no cost. That combo made 720 before I tore the motor out for full build and switch to e85 which is in currently in process. @RBB and @biminiLX had better results though and are not as negative on VMP as me.

edit: I should clarify that my opinion on lack of difference between gen2 and 3 assumes pump gas. If you are running e85 it is definately worth going gen 3. My issue was more fuel related than blower related.

Last edited:

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
edit: I should clarify that my opinion on lack of difference between gen2 and 3 assumes pump gas. If you are running e85 it is definately worth going gen 3. My issue was more fuel related than blower related.

The VMP video posted a few messages back seems to heavily underscore this point. To me the video is informative, but it also has a heavy marketing spin on it. What I ultimately got out of it is summarized in Klaus' statement. That said, I get that VMP is a business and they have to sell their new product.

RBB

Established Member
I was sick of broken promises on roll out of the throttle body. With twin 68 there was essentially no difference b/w gen2r and gen3. I was offered to trade even up for an brand new KB 3.6 + big TB and CAI all installed at no cost. That combo made 720 before I tore the motor out for full build and switch to e85 which is in currently in process. @RBB and @biminiLX had better results though and are not as negative on VMP as me.

The jury is still out for me. I finally got my revised 160 monoblade delivered this morning. Unfortunately I'm tied up at work this week and out of town this weekend so it'll be about a week and a half before I get a chance to start doing some initial data logs, etc. I have heard good things about the revised versions of VMP's monos, though, so hoping to get the tuning wrapped up shortly.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
91 as mentioned. Either 2.9 or 2.8 on gen 3 but can't recall. Whichever pushes same boost as 2.4 on gen2.
I ran the 2.8 upper for a little and it didn't feel much faster than my stock TVS with the 2.4 and I was seeing the same boost. Dropping to the 2.6 upper woke it up a lot, when talking to Justin he said you have to spin the Gen3 a little harder.
The jury is still out for me. I finally got my revised 160 monoblade delivered this morning. Unfortunately I'm tied up at work this week and out of town this weekend so it'll be about a week and a half before I get a chance to start doing some initial data logs, etc. I have heard good things about the revised versions of VMP's monos, though, so hoping to get the tuning wrapped up shortly.
Justin is pretty much wrapped up with new tune, so I'll be doing the 160 mono soon also.

RBB

Established Member
I ran the 2.8 upper for a little and it didn't feel much faster than my stock TVS with the 2.4 and I was seeing the same boost. Dropping to the 2.6 upper woke it up a lot, when talking to Justin he said you have to spin the Gen3 a little harder.

Justin is pretty much wrapped up with new tune, so I'll be doing the 160 mono soon also.
Good to hear. Choking the Gen3 with the smaller twin blade options just doesn't make sense.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Good to hear. Choking the Gen3 with the smaller twin blade options just doesn't make sense.
Agreed, it's like running a restrictor plate. I'm excited to hear what you think of the new 160

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Justin Starkey called personally to let me know he has an updated version of the 173 TB on way to us. I also decided to do the 2.4 upper and a new belt, so with the VMP 173 TB, 2.4/15% combo and Gen 3 upgrade, we’ll see how much better the car does over the previous Gen 2R 965rwhp SAE.
We’re both excited and there’s a chance Justin may be in the area in late June. So, that would be even cooler to have him with Lidio and me at Alternative Auto going for Max power.
I’ll definitely let you all know!
Classy gesture by Justin on the personal weekend call.
-J

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Justin Starkey called personally to let me know he has an updated version of the 173 TB on way to us. I also decided to do the 2.4 upper and a new belt, so with the VMP 173 TB, 2.4/15% combo and Gen 3 upgrade, we’ll see how much better the car does over the previous Gen 2R 965rwhp SAE.
We’re both excited and there’s a chance Justin may be in the area in late June. So, that would be even cooler to have him with Lidio and me at Alternative Auto going for Max power.
I’ll definitely let you all know!
Classy gesture by Justin on the personal weekend call.
-J
That's awesome J.
What from I gather, I can tell that Justin and the whole VMP Performance team are top notch and a class act.

hostile500

Established Member
I never tried the VMP TBs, I went with the KB168 from the start. I cant believe how easy that blower was working and making power. I ran out of injector with 1000s, and only 20.5lbs with a 2.6 upper 10% lower. Theres plenty left in in the tank if we decided to push it alittle more.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2673.jpg
    IMG_2673.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 225

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I never tried the VMP TBs, I went with the KB168 from the start. I cant believe how easy that blower was working and making power. I ran out of injector with 1000s, and only 20.5lbs with a 2.6 upper 10% lower. Theres plenty left in in the tank if we decided to push it alittle more.

Mega. I assume e85? Return style fuel system?

hostile500

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread