2013 GT's have different pistons and no squirters

RTD

Established Member
DIfferent pistons +1.

Deleting the oil squirters, I'm not sure, especially for boosted applications. After all they just ADDED squirters to the 2013 GT500.

Thoughts?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That's a tenuous connection between the statement that the 13's don't have the piston jets. While it's a 5.0 TiVCT block, that doesn't mean that it's exactly the same as the blocks that go in to the cars themselves.

Especially considering that Ford official dealer communication states they are still there.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/...esource-more-2013-ford-pdfs-13_mustang_sb.pdf

That's Ford's own esource for the 2013 changes and features. Page 11 under 5.0 TiVCT key features.

More than likely, that block for sale is a roadrunner block, which has never had piston cooling jets and likely no provisions for them.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
That's a tenuous connection between the statement that the 13's don't have the piston jets. While it's a 5.0 TiVCT block, that doesn't mean that it's exactly the same as the blocks that go in to the cars themselves.

Especially considering that Ford official dealer communication states they are still there.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/...esource-more-2013-ford-pdfs-13_mustang_sb.pdf

That's Ford's own esource for the 2013 changes and features. Page 11 under 5.0 TiVCT key features.

More than likely, that block for sale is a roadrunner block, which has never had piston cooling jets and likely no provisions for them.

i agree lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i still find it funny the Boss does not use the squirters but the normal 5.0 does. not even sure why they even use the squirters. does not seem they are needed. at least for the GT

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i still find it funny the Boss does not use the squirters but the normal 5.0 does. not even sure why they even use the squirters. does not seem they are needed. at least for the GT

Probably has to do with the type of internals and how they handle heat

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Probably has to do with the type of internals and how they handle heat

could be true. i wonder what the cost offset actually is between the 2. not what we pay. but what it actually cost. since they use different internals between the 2 but one adds the squirters which is an added cost.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So would not having oil squirters be bad for a supercharged engine?

well i would say for a high rev engine it may be better without them. it may also be one of the issues for higher oil consumption.

RTD

Established Member

The Boss has forged pistons, the GT does not. That is the reason.

RTD

Established Member

Did you even read the description of the block in the link I posted?

Let me bold the important parts.

tech notes
2013 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V TiVCT production aluminum block
Low pressure cast 319 aluminum
Pressed-in thin-wall iron liners
92.2 mm bore size
Cross-bolted nodular iron main bearing caps
Thicker main webs for added strength
Block features 11mm cylinder head bolts (2011-2012 engine builds using this block will require 11 mm head bolts)
Block has no provisions for 2011-2012 engine oil squirters
Includes dowels and plugs

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Did you even read the description of the block in the link I posted?

Let me bold the important parts.

Yes I did, but again, you've got highly conflicting evidence. It may be a production block, but that doesn't mean it's the same block that actually makes it in to the cars.

Why would Ford lie to their own dealers about what the engine has in it? That Esource is meant to be a sellers guide. What you're saying is that Ford is trying to have it's dealers actively or unknowingly lie to it's customers.

Look, changes do happen and if Ford felt it was cost effective and advantageous to do so, they probably would.

Thos poiston cooling jets are there for more reasons than to just cool down the pistons. They aid in warm-up which reduces carbon emissions as well as helping the oil to shed any condensation earlier in the drive cycle.

Even if Ford did go to a forged piston in the 2013's (or late 2012's as some that have started this rumor have stated), I'm guessing they would have still used the jets.

The reason they're not in the Boss is because of windage issues and high RPM use. That's been documented, where as this, has not and is simply a rumor being thrown around by people wanting to poke at that 8 hp increase.

Until you see a release from Ford themselves about the changes, I wouldn't take a block for sale meant for enthusiasts as a smoking gun on what is or is not inside the actual production engine.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
well i would say for a high rev engine it may be better without them. it may also be one of the issues for higher oil consumption.

wasn't the 11-12's the first year of the oil squirters? That could be one of the possibilities on why they have a high oil consumption.. never though of that

99mstng

Established Member
New pistons aren't forged - pretty good discussion at s197 with pictures of the two side by side.

They have a different heat treatment on them and different oil passages. Still use the same rods as 11-12s.

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
wasn't the 11-12's the first year of the oil squirters? That could be one of the possibilities on why they have a high oil consumption.. never though of that

I would think if the oil jets were the problem, everyone would have high oil comsumption. There are also a few other cars and all HD diesels that have been running oil jets for decades without a problem.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes the 2011-2012 were the 1st year of the squirters.

I would think if the oil jets were the problem, everyone would have high oil comsumption. There are also a few other cars and all HD diesels that have been running oil jets for decades without a problem.

Why couldn't the oil jets be ONE of the reason of oil consumption? We already know one of the issue is the pcv on the gt doesn't work that well causing oil consumption. So I believe its a multi part issue that causes the oil consumption on some 5.0.

kingnut

Established Member
New pistons aren't forged - pretty good discussion at s197 with pictures of the two side by side.

They have a different heat treatment on them and different oil passages. Still use the same rods as 11-12s.

link to thread on s197?

D.T.R

Established Member
Not that this pertains exactly to this scenario, but a lot builders will delete the oil squirter when building forged motors as doing this will increase oil pressure and "it's one less thing that can go wrong in the motor"

Users who are viewing this thread