2013 GT's have different pistons and no squirters

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Not that this pertains exactly to this scenario, but a lot builders will delete the oil squirter when building forged motors as doing this will increase oil pressure and "it's one less thing that can go wrong in the motor"

good info

csumt76

Established Member
good info

Piston oiling is nothing new, the German's have been doing it for quite a while now. They have recently included variable displacement oil pumps with this setup to decrease engine load/pressure when the demand is not needed. Low load/low demand and the pistons don't get the squirt. Cylinder liners/block/piston can play a part in the design. Just wait till the V8's get the direct injection... that will be interesting. Add to that the stratisifed/homogenous charge operation/fuel qualities/running on a high percentage of EGR. The new era of american hot rodding is coming for sure. Emissions are governing most of it, but it's just pushing manufacturers to make much more efficient engines.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
ford has been inconsistant as **** about the oil squirters. the 7000RPM '11 5.0l comes out, they rave about having the squirters, they say that if there was 1 thing they would add to the OG mod motor back in 1991 it would be the squirters, yet the then new aluminum block GT500 doesn't get them with its 6250RPM limit.
the boss 302 doesn't get them because oil was collecting in the pistons, causing substantial drag on the rotating assembly at 7500RPM(though, if you ask me, the grand-am teams probably requested that they were deleted).
now the 7000RPM '13 GT 5.0l won't get them, but the 6250-7000RPM(10 second over rev) '13 GT500 does get them.
WTF?!

if you ask me, they really don't make a whole hell of a lot of a difference. it's apparent that the pistons have nothing to do with their necessity(they'll have been included and excluded in both hyper and forged applications now), they cost HP at high RPM, aftermarket engine builders delete them, someone tell me why i need them. not saying they don't help, just not significantly.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
ford has been inconsistant as **** about the oil squirters. the 7000RPM '11 5.0l comes out, they rave about having the squirters, they say that if there was 1 thing they would add to the OG mod motor back in 1991 it would be the squirters, yet the then new aluminum block GT500 doesn't get them with its 6250RPM limit.
the boss 302 doesn't get them because oil was collecting in the pistons, causing substantial drag on the rotating assembly at 7500RPM(though, if you ask me, the grand-am teams probably requested that they were deleted).
now the 7000RPM '13 GT 5.0l won't get them, but the 6250-7000RPM(10 second over rev) does get them.
WTF?!

if you ask me, they really don't make a whole hell of a lot of a difference. it's apparent that the pistons have nothing to do with their necessity(they'll have been included and excluded in both hyper and forged applications now), they cost HP at high RPM, aftermarket engine builders delete them, someone tell me why i need them. not saying they don't help, just not significantly.

I read the 2013 GT500 will have the oil squirters.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I read the 2013 GT500 will have the oil squirters.
yea, that's what i said, "does have them". i will admit, that probably wasn't the clearest post, LOL.

edit: whoops, see the problem. it was supposed to say "'13 GT500 does have them" after the "'13 GT 5.0l" part, like it does now, lol.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Anyone know if the 5.0 in the 2013 F150 will still use the jets? Lower revs, heavy duty

It seems as if some if not all the 13's still have the jets in them. I was talking to a builder a couple months ago and he said he has seen 2 2013 blocks that DID in fact have the squirters in them:shrug:

1930ford

Established Member
Squirters have been around since the first engines. There are to many variables for the average guy to figure out whats best and whats not. I personaly wouldnt worry about it either way. I have a 5.0 F150 when pushed hard will burn a little oil, but normal driving =nothing. Ford has to deal with a lot of things we dont, Emissions being the most important for them. Even minor oil consumption causes cat failure and I suspect this is the most concerning issue for Ford, Having to warranty cats would be very costly. Having the squirters allows for more timing and leaner a/f ratio's without failure. Aqain all of this is to get the best milage and lowest emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread