2013 Mustang GT Evo vs AED Tune Comparison w/ w out CAI

joey7489

Established Member
Before I write this, let me first begin by saying I am not endorsed, compensated, nor fondled from writing this review.

I switched over from an 02 WS6 that put down 595/607 H/C/I/100 shot. Ford has been doing something right recently, so I decided to place an order for a GT. The car was delivered in May. Within a few weeks I knew it was time for exhaust. I started out with MRT axle backs. They sounded awesome, but the car was still not quite loud enough for my taste. I went to Evo Performance and spoke with Fred. He was very friendly and knowledgeable over the phone. He hooked me up with a fantastic deal on headers/catted x/tune. This was my first Lund tune, but there are quite a few Lund nut swingers in St. Louis, including my brother, so I figured what the hell. The car ran pretty **** well. I was averaging 15.5-16.5 MPG with mostly city driving. Highway I averaged about 20-21.

Stock I put down 370/345 on a mustang dyno in the middle of June 103 degrees, 48% humidity.
Same day/dyno with the headers/lund tune/catted x 414.3/376.9

When we datalogged it on the dyno I realized my timing was still stock, and my rev limiter was still 7000 (stock setting). Additionally, I noticed surging at low RPMs, and when it was cold. I contacted Ken Jones of Lund Racing. I understand he's a busy man and kept my patience, despite several attempts of getting in touch with him. About two weeks later he began to return my emails and was very prompt. He sent me two new tunes and told me to go datalog them. Both of those tunes pulled WAY harder than the original tune. The power was more or less like a switch you could turn on and off. As soon as you hit the gas pedal, boom, power was there, but only in the high RPMs. 4500-6500.
Still had an issue with surging.

Me, being a long time disbeliever in CAI's, decided to bite the bullet and order one. I like how the CAI's now use the factory cold air induction inlet tube that draws air from outside the engine bay. I am also one of the many people that used to feel CAI's don't pick up much on the street because of the hot under-hood temperatures. Let me tell you guys.... The CAI is DEFINITELY noticeable. There is absolutely no comparison. The car decided to actually move from 3000-4000 RPMs. There is a definite increase of low end tq and it sounds beastly aggressive down low.

Throughout this time frame I had been shooting emails back and forth with Shaun from AED Performance. Shaun is one of the nicest, most genuine tuners I have ever come across. He really knows how to conduct business professionally and keep customers happy. You can email/text the guy at any time during the day and you will have a reply within 30 minutes.
Shaun's tune is a whole different animal, especially with the CAI in it. His tune just feels smoother. There is no comparison. The revs come down slower when you push the clutch in, allowing for more smooth and accurate shifting. It honestly drives better than stock with his tune. Everything works in harmony together. It pulls harder then Lund's tune, and has more power down low. I am averaging a little better MPG in the city ~16-17 and the same on HWY. The MPG will change tomorrow because I am going to redefine what it means to have a led foot. This tune is a blast.

I have yet to dyno both tunes; Ken Jones update tunes, and Shaun's drag/performance tune. Let me just mention, as it has been discussed countless times before, dyno numbers should never actually be compared to other cars. There are too many variables that can affect the numbers on a dyno. They are just used as a benchmark to compare your vehicle. Above all, its about which tune you prefer and which one feels better to you. And no number can tell you this.

Regardless, you cannot go wrong with either tune. Evo Performance/Lund is a fantastic tuner combination no doubt. There is a reason why Lund is the most trusted Mustang tuner in the country. AED's tune is just as much of a monster and it drives unbelievably well. Props to both Evo Performance and AED. The only difference that is noticeable is drivability. AED's is smoother. Lund is more angry up top, AED's kicks on quicker and is more spread out. I would be extremely happy with either one of these tunes and both these shops customer service is top notch.

The reference I made above about my WS6 was to let everyone know this car feels as fast as my WS6 did off the bottle. I trapped 119.8 off the bottle, and 125 on. My 5.0 is every bit of a 118-120 MPH car. It is wicked fast now.

For now, my car is an AED car.

12.4 @114 -- Lund Tune
12.1 @ 116 --AED
11.84 @ 119.8 AED with BOSS Manifold

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
get some track times and some dyno numbers on the same day for comparison!!! But dyno's are ftL!!! lol interested in the results after you do the above!!!

joey7489

Established Member
Cliffs notes for that rambling?

I'm in St Louis too lets line em up, zero 5.0 guys here

Cliff notes version- my car go fast. vroom vroom :banana:. hell yeah lets do it. what part of stl you from? its impossible to find a race around here

which headers? Hows the ground clearance?

Dynatech 1 7/8's stainless steel.. The headers dont hang down any lower then my schlong, so about 2 inches. No issues with ground clearance here

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
joey7489; said:
Dynatech 1 7/8's stainless steel.. The headers dont hang down any lower then my schlong, so about 2 inches. No issues with ground clearance here

At least you are honest:banana:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
which CAI did you go with? I currently have an e85 and 93 lund tune, and kinda/sorta an AED tune. Needless to say I don't use my lund tune. My lund tune was a vast improvement over stock, but AED tune has more ''balls'' down low and rips through the power band. Lund tune was more progressive and only pulled hard from 6000rpms-6900.
Short versoin: Lund tune would chirp into second on stock tires
AED: loses traction through 1,2, and chirps hard into 3rd.
I'm an auto with stock base wheels for now.
Not dissing lund, great tune!
Nice review.

Shaun@AED

Glad you are happy with the results.

Just a quick note...

I have Texting blocked. With emails, phone calls, and PM's I don't have any time to be responding to texts. So, if you don't get a response from me via text, it's because I don't text! ;)

joey7489

Established Member
Glad you are happy with the results.

Just a quick note...

I have Texting blocked. With emails, phone calls, and PM's I don't have any time to be responding to texts. So, if you don't get a response from me via text, it's because I don't text! ;)

Hahaha that makes sense. Regardless, you are always on your toes ready to reply. Got 18.9 MPG today on the way home from work even with hammering it a few times. Not that I bought the car with MPG in mind, but not too shabby! :rockon:

faztcobra

Established Member
Hahaha that makes sense. Regardless, you are always on your toes ready to reply. Got 18.9 MPG today on the way home from work even with hammering it a few times. Not that I bought the car with MPG in mind, but not too shabby! :rockon:
With 3.73s and his eco tune, I regularly get 21-22 with mixed city/highway driving. On a roadtrip of a few hundred miles, I got 25+.

SirJAG

Established Member
Damn it Shawn! i called you a week ago to discuss the tune....now i am going to pull the trigger. tired of reading about others experiences with you, I want to be the one to write a damn review! i cant freaking wait!

PM/email your questions to the vendor <---edited by moderator

and OP, lets see thoes dyno graphs and take your car to the strip soon so we know what it will run!

joey7489

Established Member
Damn it Shawn! i called you a week ago to discuss the tune....now i am going to pull the trigger. tired of reading about others experiences with you, I want to be the one to write a damn review! i cant freaking wait!

hell ya! and for anyone curious, i am running GT500 axle backs and tune ONLY. will be interesting once i get shawns tune, i will right a killer review for both and post back to back dyno pulls of both with in moments of eachother! My best time at track with bama93R tune is 12.91 @ 111mph in 2100DA for a baseline as well.

JAG.

and OP, lets see thoes dyno graphs and take your car to the strip soon so we know what it will run!

Dont hijack the thread with questions that should be discussed in a personal email with Shaun. His email address can be found on his website. Additionally, why would you reference this information in a thread that he may check once or twice? He is way more attentive to his personal emails and will provide you much quicker responses. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help.

I will post times soon. I hope to get to the track within the next two or so weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread