2013 Shelby GT500 DIB! ISSUES! AHHHH

Dinosgt

Established Member
So I went to the dealership today and decided to try a relay, well since the wiring wasn't all burned and the connectors all looked great, I went with the relay. I was able to jump the 3 to 5 to get the pump to turn on and when the relay was in the car I've never seen the pump on. I've had this problem since I bought the car where I've never actually got to feel her under her own power. I'll get maybe a 1st and 2nd pull if I am lucky but I don't get through 2nd gear and the car would just fall on it's face. I have a 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 6 speed LS3, before buying this car and it was relatively quicker but not much. I thought that was all it's had. Well as of today I can officially say.. Whoa mama.. I am glad to report back that the car is 100% working flawlessly and I think everyone if they feel like it's under powered if you've never felt this car actually make a pull.. Whoa. Thanks to everyone that got me on the right track here, I've been chasing the demon for the entire ownership of the car. I can't express the relief of knowing it's finally working and man what a reward in power. To all of you that commented and helped, my wife and I both thank you. It's been a hell of a time trying to figure it out. I've gone through tuners, and experts and still it's been an issue.

Congrats on the problem solving. These cars are amazingly raw, which is the great allure. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dinosgt

Established Member
I'm neither, but I play one on the internet. :D I know just enough to be dangerous.

Thanks again. When I saw the fix in the past posts, it seemed ‘obvious’ to an uneducated eye (me), that a ‘better’ ground (better gauge wire) might keep the connection at the fuse block from melting. But since it’s ‘obvious’ to me, that in itself is suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Happy that the issue is now officially resolved. This thread, the comments & recommendations, and conclusion is why SVTPerformance is so great. And the folks/members/staff who fuel it are always so eager to help those in need.

upload_2018-8-3_16-32-5.png

Sport The War

Established Member
Happy that the issue is now officially resolved. This thread, the comments & recommendations, and conclusion is why SVTPerformance is so great. And the folks/members/staff who fuel it are always so eager to help those in need.

View attachment 1506018

For sure, I've been chasing this problem for 3 months. Sad thing is I got it like this and never really knew what was wrong but that it wasn't nowhere near 700. I wish they would put some kind of trouble light or warning when the car went into limp mode. I wouldn't have figured it out any sooner if it wasn't for the quick responses here and someone posted about a bad relay in one of the links so I did the jump of the relay trick from 3 to 5 and the pump turned on. Just glad it wasn't a whole mess of things like the harness and plugs melted. It was something super simple that a bunch of different places I sent the logs to couldn't figure out. I am just glad that there's a forum still alive also. There's a lot of knowledge that people miss out on when forums die. I know a lot of forums that were great hotbeds for all sorts of information and they are now gone.

Sport The War

Established Member
The dealership says there's an upgraded relay for the replacement. Hopefully that doesn't mean I have to end up replacing all 5 on the row by the cac

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Interesting, glad you got it resolved. I installed the 13-14 pump in my 2011. I already had installed the VMP triple pass heat exchanger which located the pump behind the drivers side bumper cover. It also included a harness extension to the new location.

I decided to solder in the harness ends of the Ford pump subharness the VMP extension. So far no issues. Its hot as hell out here right now in Phoenix and no sign of the car pulling any more power than it normally would given 110F+ ambient temps.

If I have issues with the power pulling down, ill be sure to check the harness and relay.

Sport The War

Established Member
Yup, the new relay is the update for the 13-14. They didn't give me a date on the change. This one says FoMoCo on it Vs the Ford with the oval that comes on the 5 standard relays. They stated that it would be the replacement for the other 4. Not bad for 28$ a pop. The new part number is 8T2Z-14N089-C I would check your harness and see how many amps it's pulling, I think with the just the stock relay from what I can find research wise even with the stock setup it's super close to the relay's breaking point. I have a feeling I will be replacing this thing pretty often.

Luillo69

Established Member
So I went to the dealership today and decided to try a relay, well since the wiring wasn't all burned and the connectors all looked great, I went with the relay. I was able to jump the 3 to 5 to get the pump to turn on and when the relay was in the car I've never seen the pump on. I've had this problem since I bought the car where I've never actually got to feel her under her own power. I'll get maybe a 1st and 2nd pull if I am lucky but I don't get through 2nd gear and the car would just fall on it's face. I have a 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 6 speed LS3, before buying this car and it was relatively quicker but not much. I thought that was all it's had. Well as of today I can officially say.. Whoa mama.. I am glad to report back that the car is 100% working flawlessly and I thank everyone that helped. IF someone reading this has it feel like it's under powered, check the links posted in this thread and you're on the right track. if you've never felt this car actually make a pull.. Whoa. Thanks to everyone that got me on the right track here, I've been chasing the demon for the entire ownership of the car. I can't express the relief of knowing it's finally working and man what a reward in power. To all of you that commented and helped, my wife and I both thank you. It's been a hell of a time trying to figure it out. I've gone through tuners, and experts and still it's been an issue.

This is an old thread but I am running 100% into the same issue as you had. My car feels good the first 30 minutes and as soon as its warm or hot I cant even break the tires loose from 1st to 2nd gear short shifting. It feels slow and sluggish. jumping the 3 to 5 terminal at the fuse box runs the pump but I am not sure if the relay is actually working.

Did you changed the relay and it solved your issue? if you say yes, I will be buying one ASAP.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Try pinching the bypass hose under the tank and running the pump to see if water is moving in the tank. Or take the outlet hose off and really check :)
Seems like heat kills the relay, I don’t run a hood blanket.
-J

Luillo69

Established Member
Try pinching the bypass hose under the tank and running the pump to see if water is moving in the tank. Or take the outlet hose off and really check :)
Seems like heat kills the relay, I don’t run a hood blanket.
-J

All done but that troubleshooting task only test the pump. The pump is running when I jump at the relay box. The relay was the issue. I changed and it all working fine now. I tested the relay and the old was not clicking when powered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good to hear. Yes this a common problem. I rewired my pump for full time on a separate higher gauge wire.
-J

Luillo69

Established Member
Good to hear. Yes this a common problem. I rewired my pump for full time on a separate higher gauge wire.
-J

I’m getting a Lund tune soon this week, I’m just waiting to see what options I will get offered as far as cooking adjustments. Radiator fan/CAC pump, etc. to see if they can turn those earlier. Also getting a 160deg thermostat. Florida heat is no joke!!!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the common Reische 170 stat. Definitely do that and yes they will do all they can in the tune. May want to ask for their suggestions over their base tune.
I was happy with Lund tuning
-J

darksykal

Established Member
Glad you got your car back man.

If you stomp the peddle on these cars and it's not making you smile, there's def a problem somewhere so glad you found it.

Luillo69

Established Member
Glad you got your car back man.

If you stomp the peddle on these cars and it's not making you smile, there's def a problem somewhere so glad you found it.

Yeah, the only thing I had to compare the car was my old 2011 coyote but I was about FBO on that car running 11.7s aspirated and couldn’t really compare it. Now I definitely know what boost feels like and of course NON of the cars I played around my area resurface again. I would smoke them all bad now!!!

Luillo69

Established Member
Yeah, the only thing I had to compare the car was my old 2011 coyote but I was about FBO on that car running 11.7s aspirated and couldn’t really compare it. Now I definitely know what boost feels like and of course NON of the cars I played around my area resurface again. I would smoke them all bad now!!!

This forum helped a lot. Even old threads brought a lot of good info!

04MysticCobra

Established Member
All done but that troubleshooting task only test the pump. The pump is running when I jump at the relay box. The relay was the issue. I changed and it all working fine now. I tested the relay and the old was not clicking when powered

Glad that you resolved the problem. Did you use the relay part number 8T2Z-14N089-C that was used in the old thread post #29 above or is there a newer updated number. Thanks

Luillo69

Established Member
Glad that you resolved the problem. Did you use the relay part number 8T2Z-14N089-C that was used in the old thread post #29 above or is there a newer updated number. Thanks

I think ford used a different one again. It has the pins labeled and the diagram on the relay itself.

Users who are viewing this thread