2014.5 Ford Mustang Revealed (Jalopnik)

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I am 60 and I don't like retro styling. Give me that Aston Martin on a budget any day.

Me too, but Aston Martin designs are retro as well. Long front end, fastback, and wide hips make for a sexy timeless design.

The EVOS fails to look sexy simply because it's short and chubby. It doesn't have a sexy long front end, and that makes it look like a SUV/Crossover or cheap deformed Aston Martin Toy someone mistakenly gives their child at christmas.

Last edited:

wildride02gt

Established Member
for Ford to do this properly, I propose the following:
smaller size, no smaller than the 65-67's, no larger than a SN95.
keep it lighter. people will buy a V8 LX model if it is lighter and less gaudy. that means basic radio, basic climate control, basic window and door systems, etc. Leave the "goodies" as add-ons for GT and up buyers
lower starting price for V8 LX, sure the 13 V6 is nice, and has more power than any other n/a V8 got so far, but it could be better with less weight.
less weight and smaller package delivers better gas mileage and handling
I propose thus- 3 models of mustang. LX, GT, Cobra/Shelby

LX-basic radio(AM/FM/CD/MP3/USB-speaker setup like a Mach460), cloth interior, stick or auto; available with a ecoboost4, a V6, and the 5.0, 17"wheels and All Season tires, nothing fancy suspension, solid 8.8 rear. No led lights, no puddle lights, etc.
GT-basic radio plus optional upgrades to include SATNAV, and SYNC, bluetooth, subs and amps, cloth OR leather interior, stick or auto, Eboost4, V6, or 5.0., 18" wheels and all season tires, standard suspension with optional Boss302 upgrade available, solid 8.8 axle, or new IRS. fancy lighting optional in packages
Cobra/Shelby- stereo options like the GT, seude/leather int with optional race style seats, stick or auto, optional boosted 5.0 or boosted 5.8, IRS standard, optional solid 8.8, lighting available in packages

added packs(ie-track packs) available on all cars
track rated suspension for both solid and IRS cars, and model
tire and wheel packages available for all
power packages consisting of intake, exhaust, and custom tune.
expand Trackkey program option to all engine models

feel free to add on .......treating this like a dream/wish list

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
I never warmed to my New Edge '04's styling, never quite got to me. My wife also had an '01 Bullitt, both cars after a few years seemed ho-hum. Now, my '13 BOSS 302, that's another story, roomy, rigid chassis, tight ride and handling, eye catching styling.
I traded a Corvette in on the car, it out handles and out accelerates the 'Vette! I became a believer once owning a S-197, the retro look undeniably says MUSTANG!
I wouldn't buy anything that looks like a Genesis or Accord coupe, they make me want to hurl.

908ssp

Established Member
Me too, but Aston Martin designs are retro as well. Long front end, fastback, and wide hips make for a sexy timeless design.

The EVOS fails to look sexy simply because it's short and chubby. It doesn't have a sexy long front end, and that makes it look like a SUV/Crossover or cheap deformed Aston Martin Toy someone mistakenly gives their child at christmas.

Evos is a four door sedan so I think it wins big time.

The next Mustang is still going to be a two door coupe so a longer front end shorter rear end is hopefully part of the package.

What's modern? A yard of plastic covered chrome headlight you see on 50% of the cars these days? I hope not. I think the Aston Martin designer would argue that his design is modern, he also did the Jaguar's and Fisker cars [ugly so he isn't perfect]. Long front ends don't belong to any time period neither do short. Some specific details certainly are attached to time periods. Fins in the late 50s early 60 for example. The previously mention headlights you see on everything these days with that horrid chrome under plastic certainly will be connected to the early twenty-teens. I am glad to see some flowing curvy lines coming to car design the boxes we were getting for years were just boring.

svt1111

Established Member
I'm 38 years old. Have had 3 S197's, 2 New Edge Cars and a couple of Foxes.

I like the current design, but I would like to see the next car be less retro and more modern. The key will be the dimensions: I don't want see a smaller car that weighs the same. I want to see a smaller car that comes in at 3,200-3,300 lbs max. I want to see better fit and finish, and a more upscale interior. A dual clutch auto is a must as well.

Give us a direct injected 5.0 making 480 HP, NA, with a 7 speed dual clutch auto, weighing in at 3,300 lbs max, big brake package with IRS and a 50/50 weight distribution. For that, I'd be willing to sell the Boss. I would consider such a car even if the base price was $44-46k for a GT.

GT500/Cobra, they should offer a twin turbo variant of the DI 5.0 making 650 HP, AWD and the dual clutch auto. It should weigh no more than 3450 lbs. Make it smoke a 911 turbo in the 1/4 mile. 10.50's in bone stock form and 28 mpg highway. Price it slightly above the current GT500. Call it the "Cobra Jet" Mustang and retire the GT500 and Shelby name to the current gen cars.

The car I describe would probably be impossible to market for 30-35k though. Ford has to decide what demographic they want to sell cars to. If they want to attract younger people, the car needs to stay affordable, if they want to continue to attract guys my age who want a little more than the current offering, and are willing to pay for it, are there enough of us to take a chance of moving the car upmarket a little bit to continue strengthening the brand? I'm glad I don't have to make these types of decisions.

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I don't recall anyone in this thread that wanted to change the Mustang into a Probe. Some of us are just fed up with old ass recycled designs from the 60s and would like to see Ford build a new car. You guys who want to refresh the 69/70 Mustangs for the next 50 years like Porsche does with the 911 are delusional. The Mustang is nowhere near exclusive or even good looking enough to pull that off.

The fact is new buyers DON'T want a retro car. Look at the production numbers for the current body style and compare them to the SN-95 and New edge stangs. It isn't even close and is borderline embarrassing for Ford.

2011 Production:2011 Ford Mustang Production Numbers hit the web | Mustang Heaven (60kish#

94-95 Production: Mustang Heaven - SN-95 Production Numbers#120kish & 165kish)

Numbers don't lie, retro has lost its luster and is quickly becoming a loser for Ford. To be fair I also looked @ the production of the 98 Mustang, 1 year before the brand new body style was expected and they sold 198k Mustangs that year. Where is Ford at in 2013 while people wait for the new model? I would bet the farm on it being nowhere close.:D

That is not really apples to apples. You are comparing the sales of a brand new platform (they were getting ADMs on V6 models in '94) and comapring them to essentially a 6 year old platform, who also tends to split the sales with a RETRO Camaro that is doing very well.

I believe they will move away from retro, but the car will still keep some of the trademark look. You cannot make it 100% different or you risk alienating many of the current owners.

Just my .02. If is fast and well engineered, most of us will like it regardless of what everyone says now.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
None of those designs are the new Mustang simply because it would be bigger news than just a thread buried the sea of threads here. When the newly confirmed design hits it will be big news as any big news on the Mustang usually gets picked up by every major media source as it is an American icon. The Evos concept has been featured in big media article but it was always in the context that it is what you can expect the new Mustang to resemble. They've never confirmed the Evos or any other rendering as "the one!"

The renderinga are just people trying to draw attention, that's all. I hope the Mustang takes a completely different direction though. If you want the car to keep up and keep advancing then why limit it to only certain criteria? The Mustang can be whatever it wants just as long as it stands out which it always has, there's really nothing that looks anything like it. But I guess that is always up for interpretation.

Last edited:

Hawwk11

Established Member
The new concepts look great but deep down i wish they would go back to the modular bodystyle, maybe a 99-04 with a wider body :beer:.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I don't put much into renderings but if this is how the Mustang comes out then I will be the first in line for one. I love this so much! It's like a poor mans AM Vantage.

tumblr_mbbt9uFQLq1rpmrtto1_1280.jpg

Jroc

Established Member
I don't put much into renderings but if this is how the Mustang comes out then I will be the first in line for one. I love this so much! It's like a poor mans AM Vantage.

tumblr_mbbt9uFQLq1rpmrtto1_1280.jpg

Yeah I dig that.

If Ford can keep the weight below 3,400 lbs and give it a near 50/50 F/R weight distribution, that would be awesome. They do need to make it capable of housing a bigger tire better than the S197's can, and a SLA front suspension would be great, but I don't count on it particularly with a DOHC motor.

87hatchy

Established Member
Some of you guys are morons LOL.

1. A lot of you are posting pics of the EVOS concept and saying "omfg fap fap fap I love the new mustang it looks incredible!!" .....Thats not the mustang.....

2. Everyone complaining about how its still "retro"....."Retro" is not the same as "Taking mustang styling and reworking it to something new while still letting people know its a mustang." Christ people. It has to LOOK like a mustang. Tri Bar taillights, long hood, short rear, muscular looking shoulders, two door. If you want something so radically different in order to please you, go buy an Escape and put some mustang badges on it.

908ssp

Established Member
Some of you guys are morons LOL.

1. A lot of you are posting pics of the EVOS concept and saying "omfg fap fap fap I love the new mustang it looks incredible!!" .....Thats not the mustang.....

2. Everyone complaining about how its still "retro"....."Retro" is not the same as "Taking mustang styling and reworking it to something new while still letting people know its a mustang." Christ people. It has to LOOK like a mustang. Tri Bar taillights, long hood, short rear, muscular looking shoulders, two door. If you want something so radically different in order to please you, go buy an Escape and put some mustang badges on it.

I think you're a blind moron.:banana:

Overboost.

Established Member
The Jalopnik and C&D renders aren't close. It won't be retro up front, but very Evos. Granted, the Evos design was almost a ringer for the 2013 Fusion, there are multiple reports that the new "Kinetic 2.0" language would translate to the entire line in the coming years.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i dont know what the next mustang will look like. i do expect changes. the S197 average buyer is 50 years old. its an old guy car. i fully expected mustang to morph in the direction of performance cars that are hot among the 20's and 30's somethings that are much more interested in european and asian designs.

ford is both a global market company and under fuel mileage pressure from the usa government. they need to make their hot cars lighter and better on fuel at the base model end.

i expect a mustang that can race grand am gs class with a v8 or ecoboost engine. i expect a car that will get 35+mph in base model form. i expect a rear wheel drive 2+2 coupe that in performanc trim will be as competitive with the M3 and STi as the Focus ST is competitive with the Mazdaspeed 3.

TheRebel

Established Member
i dont know what the next mustang will look like. i do expect changes. the S197 average buyer is 50 years old. its an old guy car. i fully expected mustang to morph in the direction of performance cars that are hot among the 20's and 30's somethings that are much more interested in european and asian designs.

I'm 29 and prefer the 05-09 body style the most. Had an 06 but decided it was time for a lightning. Most of the people I talk to like that style the best as well. I don't know of anyone who wants a "foreign" Mustang. The Mustang needs to be American and Ford needs to stop worrying about pleasing Europe as their economy probably won't allow many to purchase a Mustang anyways.

Change the rear of the current car and make it lighter, then I would be interested again. The renderings do nothing for me.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Ford give us more but at the same price!

Rolleyes:

Sent with my over sized Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread