2014 Honda Civic hill assist question

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I asked this on a Civic board and have received zero responses, so I'll submit it to SVTP's collective wisdom: My manual Civic LX has a brake assist for hills, that I find a hindrance rather than a help. It's not nearly as bad as a BMW's clutch delay valve, but I know how to drive a manual and find it a PITA that I'd like to turn off. I've found instructions for rituals to perform on other vehicles to turn off their brake hill assists, but nothing for Civics. Anyone have intel on a way to disable it?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Si or regular coupe/sedan?

EDIT: Looking at the manuals and such i dont see the HSA deactivated light. I am assuming from this that Honda has made it a permanent thing. Maybe check the infotainment system like on the Fiesta ST and Focus ST(from what ive driven).

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I must live under a rock; I didn't know you could turn them off.

I don't like it, feels unnatural.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I must live under a rock; I didn't know you could turn them off.

I don't like it, feels unnatural.

I have it on my Fiesta ST and have tried it both on and off and finally got used to it. It was a very awkward thing to experience in the beginning.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have it on my Fiesta ST and have tried it both on and off and finally got used to it. It was a very awkward thing to experience in the beginning.

Yeah I agree. It almost feels like you forgot to put it in gear.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Supposedly my genesis has HSA but I cant tell. Usually on a hill as im coming up to it ill just find "the spot" and hand there with just the clutch holding the car in place.

This area is really hilly and I am constantly having to do hill holds and starts.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I don't see anything if our system about being able to turn it off. It does look like it may be part of the VSA system though, have you tried turning that off?

08mojo

Established Member
Supposedly my genesis has HSA but I cant tell. Usually on a hill as im coming up to it ill just find "the spot" and hand there with just the clutch holding the car in place.

This area is really hilly and I am constantly having to do hill holds and starts.

That poor clutch!

I've gotten used to hill assist, and now prefer to have it.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have always just used the parking brake if I am stopped on a steep hill going up. Obviously no problem if you are going down.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Lots of bitching about this same issue on the WRX forums. I never had a problem with it. The hill hold was very predictable so after driving the car for a few weeks, you should be able to tell when it's going to release and how to use it to your advantage.

I'm pretty sure car manufacturers know their customers who buy manual cars know how to drive a manual. It's all about convenience.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have hill assist on my '14 Mini Cooper S. I really like it. Doesn't feel unnatural at all. Car in gear. Clutch in. Foot on brake. Traffic moves. Let go of brake and I have maybe 1-2 seconds to release the clutch. I would hope that if someone doesn't like their hill assist that it can somehow be turned off. Maybe try a Honda forum for tips on how to disable it?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have hill assist on my '14 Mini Cooper S. I really like it. Doesn't feel unnatural at all. Car in gear. Clutch in. Foot on brake. Traffic moves. Let go of brake and I have maybe 1-2 seconds to release the clutch. I would hope that if someone doesn't like their hill assist that it can somehow be turned off. Maybe try a Honda forum for tips on how to disable it?

I liked the hill assist in my wife's mini cooper as well. Did not feel unnatural or intrusive.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
I learned to drive a manual car in San Francisco, so I got used to driving on hills. Now I kind of like the feature on my 14 GT, the only time it annoys me is in the driveway, as I am used to letting the car roll back with the clutch to position it so I don't cut off our walkway to move around the garbage cans. Never really thought about disabling it.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, seems alot of people with cars equipped with some sort of HSA(not just Honda's) have been swapping out the ABS ECU/TCS module with one from an automatic equipped car. I dont know if this will work for you but you may be able to ask a tech at your local dealer if this is a possible swap.

Users who are viewing this thread