2014 Jeep Cherokee

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
A couple of things:

-This actually replaces the Liberty
-The Liberty was known as the Cherokee outside the U.S. since its inception and since Chrysler is trying to go global (as with GM and Ford), it made sense to them to make the name the same everywhere.

That said, I feel like they called the previous Liberty that because it wasn't good enough for the Cherokee nameplate and they knew it (at least in the U.S.). This vehicle isn't any different. I understand its place, seeing as how Jeep will only have the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee making up the rest of the lineup. They need a volume model that will appeal to the masses. But the original Cherokee ceased production fairly recently and everyone remembers what it really was. Definitely not a FWD crossover based on the Dart platform.

Rotzs99

Established Member
A couple of things:

-This actually replaces the Liberty
-The Liberty was known as the Cherokee outside the U.S. since its inception and since Chrysler is trying to go global (as with GM and Ford), it made sense to them to make the name the same everywhere.

That said, I feel like they called the previous Liberty that because it wasn't good enough for the Cherokee nameplate and they knew it (at least in the U.S.). This vehicle isn't any different. I understand its place, seeing as how Jeep will only have the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee making up the rest of the lineup. They need a volume model that will appeal to the masses. But the original Cherokee ceased production fairly recently and everyone remembers what it really was. Definitely not a FWD crossover based on the Dart platform.

I think at least in the U.S. the Liberty nameplate has more recognition though. Aside from the offroading group, I don't think people know what a Cherokee is. I guess you can look at it like Ford going from a RWD truck platform Explorer to the FWD crossover now, but at least Ford didn't hit their designs with the ugly stick:bash:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, what are they thinking? That is absolutely HORRIBLE. But then again, I'm not a Chrysler/Jeep fan to begin with. Except for the GC SRT8. THAT I love, especially the one shown above. :)

Users who are viewing this thread