2014 Mustang Will Depart from Current Retro Design

solidhadriel

Established Member
People bought Aztecs too :)

Styling is a personal thing, I like the retro myself because when I was younger I owned most of the original 60's musclecars and I love these repops. They kind of look the same but are faster, safer, handle better, get better mileage etc. The new Camaro is a spaceship to me, especially the interior, its like driving an armored personal carrier..

Lot of people love the new Camaro styling, as far as performance the LS engines are a great platform, that would be my only reason TO buy one.

I'd love to own a spaceship and drive an amrored personal carrier. I think a vehicle giving off that kind of atmosphere that is fast, is pretty awesome, in my opinion.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I think we will see a much smaller, (and lighter) Mustang in the future. Perhaps a Mustang that a lot of you might not like.

converj.jpg

That's the Cadillac ATS, which is rumored to use the same platform the next generation Camaro will share.

With Osama's upcoming CAFE standards to take effect in 2016, these cars will have to lose weight to be as efficient as possible. Of course this is purely speculation; in order to lose weight, offer a decent ride quality and meet all safety requirements they will need to use a much smaller platform equivalent to platforms used in sub compacts.

Yeah, that would mean a Mustang equivalent to the size of a 1 series BMW.

BMW-1-Series-Coupe-2008-1-1024x768.jpg

Again, this is just speculation on my part. :beer:

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Yea, its going to be interesting to see what happens with the CAFE standards. You can always use the voting booth to maybe get all that crap changed..

Something is going to have to give, weight, performance, size, safety etc. Seems the small displacement engine/turbo is going to be the future for high performance, but like you said its just speculation.

solidhadriel

Established Member
I think we will see a much smaller, (and lighter) Mustang in the future. Perhaps a Mustang that a lot of you might not like.

converj.jpg

That's the Cadillac ATS, which is rumored to use the same platform the next generation Camaro will share.

With Osama's upcoming CAFE standards to take effect in 2016, these cars will have to lose weight to be as efficient as possible. Of course this is purely speculation; in order to lose weight, offer a decent ride quality and meet all safety requirements they will need to use a much smaller platform equivalent to platforms used in sub compacts.

Yeah, that would mean a Mustang equivalent to the size of a 1 series BMW.

BMW-1-Series-Coupe-2008-1-1024x768.jpg

Again, this is just speculation on my part. :beer:

EW. Looks like an Altima!!!!!!! There's nothing wrong with an Altima, if you BUY AN ALTIMA. Please Cadillac, no....

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
EW. Looks like an Altima!!!!!!! There's nothing wrong with an Altima, if you BUY AN ALTIMA. Please Cadillac, no....

Sorry man, but that look nothing like an Altima, other than having two doors and four wheels. One is round/organic and the other angular/mechanical looking. Zero similarity. If you mistake the two, you're retarded

2012-nissan-altima2.jpg

Last edited:

solidhadriel

Established Member
Sorry man, but that look nothing like an Altima, other than having two doors and four wheels. One is round/organic and the other angular/mechanical looking. Zero similarity. If you mistake the two, you're retarded

:lol::lol: I disagree.

They both have a similar squared out rear end, round body (albeit: one is elongated), and a rounded front end with the same exception (one is elongated, and thus mildly sharper.) What really struck is the curves of the tail lights. Almost identical boxing, the Cadillac just uses more plastic housing with the tail lights. Again, 'stretching' things. Yes, the front is completely different: the Altima being more "dull".

Sure, the caddy has more curves. That's what you pay for with their price tag, but the same design is there. I can see it. No, I'm not retarded. I get paid to design.

The point is: Cadillac should come up with something new, not use a 'template' and modify it to look 'sharper' which is what I see here: a modified copy.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Getting away from the retro styling, THANK GOD! Hopefully they completely ditch the Shelby name too and go back to the SVT Cobra.

3300-3400lbs with 460 hp and an IRS spells WIN in my book.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
/\Agreed, the only thing stopping me from buying a 2011 Mustang is the retro styling. Not to mention being too big..

solidhadriel

Established Member
/\Agreed, the only thing stopping me from buying a 2011 Mustang is the retro styling. Not to mention being too big..

Not to defend my car (even though I'm partial to it) I tend to enjoy larger spaces, even if it makes the car a little bigger, and it gives my passengers a "feel of security", unlike a small car IE: Miata. Plus, more headroom and legroom: its great for us tall people.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
where i bolded it for you is where you need to look... you said EURO not US. They both have different standards
you do know that the mazda2 is sold here in the US, and has to pass US crash tests to be sold here, right:poke:

really, technology and good ol' smart engineering is what makes a car safe, not loads of excess metal like everyone ignorantly believes.

JL-KA

Established Member
I honestly don't care if they make it IRS as long as they do it right and overengineer it.
Completely redesigning the Mustang will always be a challenge. I would hate to be part of that design team. When the 05's came out I hated them but they grew on me. I was a little iffy in '10 but now I love the look. I've seen a couple pictures of supposed 2014+ Mustangs (not sure of the sources) that I do not like.
I'll say one thing for sure. If the back seat isn't usable for adults sales will fall. Making the usable space smaller would be a mistake. I certainly wouldn't buy one. It has to remain somewhat family friendly.I just hope they don't F it up so bad that previous years command a premium. I'm looking to pick up a used 5.0 in the coming years when they drop under $20k with under 30k miles.

Last edited:

barstoolman

Established Member
Good, I hate the retro mustang look.

Yeah, like some of those designs in the 70's and 80's were really great :bash: If not for the current retro design (and of course,the original design) Mustangs could very well have been placed in the giant trash bin of automotive history. The retro design of the Mustang reinvigorated this whole genre of automobiles. Camaros and Challengers would certainly not be on the road today if not for the tremendous success of the Mustang in its retro design form.

Yes, its time to move on to a new design.....the fact that you don't or didn't like retro styling just shows how out of touch you are with Mustang lovers everywhere. :beer:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I think they will screw it up, and then tweak it to look good. Seems to be a pattern with Ford.

Bullitt4859

Established Member
From the video interview they obviously know what didn't work from the past. I just hope they are able to keep it look like a mustang. I have good faith in ford since they have really started to build better quality cars that have good looks. Only time will tell...

Users who are viewing this thread