2014 Shelby GT500 6 piston brakes review

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
After following the red Vorshlag TT3 build and races, doing countless road course races and setting records with just well cooled stock Brembo 4-pots made me a believer. The rear 13.8" Gt500 brakes or Steed 13" are the best investment IMO.

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I think it looks great and I bet it performs amazing. I've been looking at a listing on ebay where the guy is selling a brand new set of the 4 pistons. The ad says they were destined for a new track pack but Ford moved on to the 15 and these were left over. Not a bad price for what they are.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
The 4 pistons stop just fine after you upgrade the pads and fluid. Especially from triple digit speeds on the autobahn. Those assholes that decide to slide into your lane going 80 when you are going 145ish cruising are the largest cause of accidents here. That and when the semi-trucks do it.

SCalla1384

Established Member
The 4 pistons stop just fine after you upgrade the pads and fluid. Especially from triple digit speeds on the autobahn. Those assholes that decide to slide into your lane going 80 when you are going 145ish cruising are the largest cause of accidents here. That and when the semi-trucks do it.

Not arguing you, but I always see people say 4 piston brembos stop just fine with pads and fluid... so with 6 piston brembos with pads and fluid wouldn't they stop a fair amount better? I'm sure the extra leverage the 6 piston have with 15" rotor helps out quite a bit.

Astenax

Established Member
Jealous. Sick man. I've been keeping my eye on a few sets. I really want the 6 pistons. But I figure worst case, I'll opt for the 4 piston brembos.

Yeh the 4 pots are sick also, i was torn between the 4 & 6. You have more wheel options with the 4 pot, thats for sure!

Astenax

Established Member
the 6p brembos are great. I have to say, the 4p brembos are no slouch. They haul my car down from 135mph with serious authority, and they will fit under 18" wheels for the track. That's my only complaint with the 6p, they require a 19" wheel. Thinking about selling my 6p for a set of track wheels.

Regarding the rear 14" gt500 setup: do it! pulling the axles is stupid simple. The only reason to avoid the 14" rear rotors is if you have a set of rear drag wheels that will not clear the 14" setup.

I will more than likely do the rears, i want 3.73s and a watts link rear, so ill be in there sooner or later, the 4 pots are sick also!

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Major thing to consider also is aftermarket support for 4 pots. A lot more choices for rotors and pads. Don't even think there are aftermarket rotors for 6Ps. None that I've found anyways

Astenax

Established Member
Full tilt boogie has some preety cool floating two piece stuff, but ouch is it expensive "sigh".

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
$1400 for the dics suitable for heavy use. Buying new front 6-pots each time would be cheaper. Does count as an aftermarket option, tho.

Last edited:

onefastmf

Established Member
Aren't the rears single piston? when I was looking for brakes I was all about the gt500 fronts, but then then rears seem like a total waste of time and they look like ass!!! Big bad ass brakes up front and and then in the rear, some single piston crap? No thanks. I went with willwood setup. Six piston 14" front and 4 piston 13" rear. And I can still fit 15" wheels on the rear for when I run slicks. I know the rears don't really do much but just gives it a unbalanced look. Every time I see a 70k gt500 with them dumb ass brakes on the back, I just shake my head in discuss. If money is the issue I understand. Maybe wait and see if the rears off the 15 will work?

devildog1679

Established Member
the 6p brembos are great. I have to say, the 4p brembos are no slouch. They haul my car down from 135mph with serious authority, and they will fit under 18" wheels for the track. That's my only complaint with the 6p, they require a 19" wheel. Thinking about selling my 6p for a set of track wheels.

Regarding the rear 14" gt500 setup: do it! pulling the axles is stupid simple. The only reason to avoid the 14" rear rotors is if you have a set of rear drag wheels that will not clear the 14" setup.

No need to pull theaxels with the adapter kit that a forum member here sells. Similar to the below adapters but cheaper

http://www.cjponyparts.com/baer-rear-brake-rotor-upgrade-kit-eradispeed-plus-two-14-inch-2005-2013/p/BR37/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAg_CnBRDc1N_wuoCiwyESJABpBuMXBUyhhQGYdDOvnwCogigIKW1kCI7xqJgM3YWQ_K7_8xoCWRLw_wcB

Paul.

Established Member
I have the Shelby brakes. They're awesome. Ridiculous overkill for a streetcar, but who cares? I've been into 1/2 mile racing events recently, and they stop me down over and over again from 136 mph pulls (even while hotlapping) without even a hint of fade. I love them.

CarNewBrakes2_zps4c4862bc.jpg

PaulSideHiRes_zpse84ecfc5.jpg

Astenax

Established Member
I have the Shelby brakes. They're awesome. Ridiculous overkill for a streetcar, but who cares? I've been into 1/2 mile racing events recently, and they stop me down over and over again from 136 mph pulls (even while hotlapping) without even a hint of fade. I love them.

CarNewBrakes2_zps4c4862bc.jpg

PaulSideHiRes_zpse84ecfc5.jpg

I like the color of your Brembos, nice Stang too! Yeh i love the way these bite, money well spent!

GT350pwns

Established Member

Going to need some in put on where to find these.

I have the stop tech 14 in 6 pot kit on the front of my car and am wanting some 4 pots on the back.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ thats just the rotor weight, have you weighed the calipers?

They do look good because theyre bigger, but the regular brembo (same as 2007-2012 gt500) with better brake pads and fluid swap would have been sufficient.

Also the guy that said no brake fade doing top speed runs, try them on a road course session that goes for about 20mins.

chao5.0

Established Member

They do look good because theyre bigger, but the regular brembo (same as 2007-2012 gt500) with better brake pads and fluid swap would have been sufficient.

Also the guy that said no brake fade doing top speed runs, try them on a road course session that goes for about 20mins.

exactly, for the street or straight line racing this is a overkill mod and you probably won't see any fade. on a road course though with stock pads and fluid it will take all of 1-2 laps and your brakes will be mushy if you are capable enough to push the car. even with upgraded pads, rotors, and fluid I can still get my 4 pot Brembos to fade on the street or with spirited driving, for the track I definitely need higher temp rated pads.

Paul.

Established Member

I have. They weigh 15.8 pounds each according to my ultra-scientific bathroom scale. Who cares? I have an ultra-heavy streetcar with every possible option including a glass roof and power/heated Shelby Recaros that are staggeringly heavy. It's a streetcar and my daily driver, not a racecar. I'm not looking for weight savings.

I've raced NASA Super Unlimited, SCCA ITE, and other classes before when I used to own a racecar. I'm quite familiar with brake fade. But again, this is a streetcar. I just don't care.

Every time monster brakes comes up, all the haters say "just keep the 14" Brembos with Motul and race pads." I don't road race my Mustang. I don't intend to road race this car either. I'm well aware that these brakes are overkill, as I wrote in my original post. Do you really think that I would've taken the time to paint my brakes pretty gold if I knew I was going to go cook them on a road course - which would turn that gold to a shitty orange/brown color in a heartbeat???

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread