2014 Shelby GT500 6 piston brakes review

Astenax

Established Member
I have a 2014 GT base model and decided to pull the trigger on a set of these bad boys! I picked these up at LMR for $1400 bucks. These things are absolutely HUGE, the rotors alone are almost the size of some econo cars wheels! These brakes are verry smooth but they bite like a Pit bull, they surprise me sometimes if im not paying attention. Coming from the base brakes these are on a whole other level. I just put my toe on them and my face is in the windshield! I think i will never be happy with anything less, i think ive been ruined for all other brakes:eek:. If anybody is on the fence with these bad boys, dont be they are worth every penny! Word of warning though these things need alot of room so make sure your wheels will clear them. Im running SVE Drift 19" wheels and they fit great but its still close! Thanks for reading and hit me up for any questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,537
Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hope you don't do reviews often. Waste of money for never seeing the track, congrats I guess.

Who pissed in your Wheaties?

OP don't pay attention to the resident trolls.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Not sure what is going on. I'll leave the thread alone for a bit. OP, resize the image, and include the review so that everyone can see it.

-Jeff

Edited. Thanks for the fix. :beer:

Astenax

Established Member
I hope you don't do reviews often. Waste of money for never seeing the track, congrats I guess.
Lol, sorry i had the text color set to grey, im new at this. Owning a 400+hp car for daily driving is a waist of money also lol but hey thats what its all about!

StangMan04

Established Member
Sorry, bad day at work and that text made my eyes hurt (thank you for fixing it). Having a 400+hp as a daily driver is a waste as well. I wish I could drive mine now, this weather sucks.

cheeser

Established Member
Thinking of this as my next upgrade (after rims), but also looking at the rears as well. I will be tracking my car 1 or 2 times a year, but didnt know if it was worth the effort to install the rears.

Astenax

Established Member
Thinking of this as my next upgrade (after rims), but also looking at the rears as well. I will be tracking my car 1 or 2 times a year, but didnt know if it was worth the effort to install the rears.

I just bought the fronts cause the rears seem like a pita. If i ever get around to switching to 3.73's ill deff do the rears then. Might as well at that point since you gotta crack open the diff for that also.

mitchster

Established Member
I saw a front set of 6 piston brakes with a 13.7" rotor which I would be interested in. Those you have on do look good on your car. Mitch

Vegas5OH

Established Member
When I bought my 13 it was a base. Upgraded from base brakes to 4 pistons, from 4 pistons to 6. The 6 pistons are awesome, an upgrade from the 4 pistons for sure. I used to do alot of freeway racing and the 4 pistons would fade on me at 130+ mph. I have never had the 6 pistons fade ever, not only that but there is alot more bite when stopping from triple digits.

Last edited:

nosscort

Established Member
When I bought my 13 it was a base. Upgraded from base brakes to 4 pistons, from 4 pistons to 6. The 6 pistons are awesome, an upgrade from the 4 pistons for sure. I used to do alot of freeway racing and the 4 pistons would fade on me at 130+ mph. I have never had the 6 pistons fade ever, not only that but there is alot more bite when stopping from triple digits.

guess the best way to solve that problem is stop driving like a maniac on the highway

SCalla1384

Established Member
Jealous. Sick man. I've been keeping my eye on a few sets. I really want the 6 pistons. But I figure worst case, I'll opt for the 4 piston brembos.

BLACKSNAKE96

Established Member
Was looking at doing this also in the near future. I just picked up a 14 CS. Now finally getting used to the car. But no brembos and I'm very disappointed in th brakes. Feels soft and rugged even at low speeds it feels worse. Reminds me of my 96 cobra really. Can I just get some from a 13-14 gt500? And why not do the rear and only fronts? I know the rears aren't really used all that much anyway but Wouldn't the rotor size be very noticeable if only did the fronts? Wheels are next for me then suspension and brakes. Also new to these new 5.0 and been looking here daily in advance for advice and help. So THANKS members in advance!

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
the 6p brembos are great. I have to say, the 4p brembos are no slouch. They haul my car down from 135mph with serious authority, and they will fit under 18" wheels for the track. That's my only complaint with the 6p, they require a 19" wheel. Thinking about selling my 6p for a set of track wheels.

Regarding the rear 14" gt500 setup: do it! pulling the axles is stupid simple. The only reason to avoid the 14" rear rotors is if you have a set of rear drag wheels that will not clear the 14" setup.

Users who are viewing this thread