2014 Shelby GT500 6 piston brakes review

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I've raced NASA Super Unlimited, SCCA ITE, and other classes before when I used to own a racecar.
22ac8884fd0df07355f0ae5a940a4cde42cd257b9387ab734ac927a1653b2dd1.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I've raced NASA Super Unlimited, SCCA ITE, and other classes before when I used to own a racecar. I'm quite familiar with brake fade. But again, this is a streetcar. I just don't care.
How relevant is this post when you havent taken your setup to do the said events? :lol:

Every time monster brakes comes up, all the haters say "just keep the 14" Brembos with Motul and race pads." I don't road race my Mustang. I don't intend to road race this car either. I'm well aware that these brakes are overkill, as I wrote in my original post. Do you really think that I would've taken the time to paint my brakes pretty gold if I knew I was going to go cook them on a road course - which would turn that gold to a shitty orange/brown color in a heartbeat???

Paul.
Its not haters, its just a perspective if you want to go fast, lose weight and save money. Your brakes will only clear a couple of 18" rims, there are hard core drivers out there trying to wring out what they can.

Paul.

Established Member
The relevance is this...

People modify their cars well beyond what they will likely EVER need. 99% of the people with 4 piston Brembos (even with stock pads) will never use them to their limits. Yet people still want them on their cars. Most boulevard cruisers who upgrade their brakes are doing so not because they've run into issues when diving off the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, but because they want big fancy brakes that say a fancy name on them so their fellow boulevard cruisers will say "hey man, cool brakes."

What I'm saying is, "going fast" is not the only motivator for people to mod their cars, or put obscenely large and unnecessary brakes on their cars.

Paul.

Astenax

Established Member
The relevance is this...

People modify their cars well beyond what they will likely EVER need. 99% of the people with 4 piston Brembos (even with stock pads) will never use them to their limits. Yet people still want them on their cars. Most boulevard cruisers who upgrade their brakes are doing so not because they've run into issues when diving off the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, but because they want big fancy brakes that say a fancy name on them so their fellow boulevard cruisers will say "hey man, cool brakes."

What I'm saying is, "going fast" is not the only motivator for people to mod their cars, or put obscenely large and unnecessary brakes on their cars.

Paul.
I agree 100%! I must admit that i wanted the braging rights to the biggest and badest when i bought these and im giulty as charged! I had a little more $ to burn this year and wanted the extra bling lol! I must admit i will never use these to there full potential but then again, we all drive 400+ HP cars which, to the sane would seem a little over kill anyways lol. The 14" 4 pistons are awsome as well and as you said, most will not track those so it is not a big deal. Either the 4 or 6 pot is over kill and thats it in my opinion! I will ad a Wipple next year and really over kill my Stang lol!

Astenax

Established Member
5c26018a-88bf-49bf-ba00-a375a0f86efd_zpsbfed38eb.jpg

6-piston Brembos on front and big brakes on back. You don't like it? SUCK IT!
^^^ I dont have to defend my purchase lol, how many guy's threw out on the "Track pack" and never road race there Stangs! Its all about what we want to make our Stangs our own and a little bit about bragging rights and mine will do that in spades! Nice drop by the way brother, that Stang looks sick!

Astenax

Established Member
How relevant is this post when you havent taken your setup to do the said events? :lol:

Its not haters, its just a perspective if you want to go fast, lose weight and save money. Your brakes will only clear a couple of 18" rims, there are hard core drivers out there trying to wring out what they can.
I completely agree it is about what you want and the 4 pistons are sick and have more wheel options. For daily driving the extra "bite" of the 6 pots is probably a little over kill, but the 2014 Shelby GT500 was biult for the street/track so i think in stock form they are pretty tame. The new S550 PP comes with 6 pistons as well, so over kill is the norm today right? If i tracked my car i would have gone with the 4 pots and an 18" wheel, as the 4 pots would be a little lighter and the coin i could shave would go to other parts, good points btw thanks for the post!

Cobrakit

Established Member
The 14in are great! Fade can be addressed with pads as well. I ended Up selling my 14's for a set of take off 15's for about $200 so I couldn't resist. i will say the balance was off until I upgraded rears. Cost for factory rear upgrade to 13.8 was less than $300. I do have a blown car and above 100mph you do see the diffrence. And yes the factory brakes are very heavy. If I ever have to replace rotors, they will get lighter, especially fronts.

Astenax

Established Member
The 14in are great! Fade can be addressed with pads as well. I ended Up selling my 14's for a set of take off 15's for about $200 so I couldn't resist. i will say the balance was off until I upgraded rears. Cost for factory rear upgrade to 13.8 was less than $300. I do have a blown car and above 100mph you do see the diffrence. And yes the factory brakes are very heavy. If I ever have to replace rotors, they will get lighter, especially fronts.

Interesting, so when you mentioned the balance being off with the stock rears and 6p up front, how did you come to that conclusion? I ask becouse it does make sense that the rears do probably help but as i dont road race ive never felt the rears. Whenever i stop hard in a straight line i feel the weight of my car put everything on the front end. Ive never road raced anything but a go cart at Dave and busters lol, and i dont have Niki Loudas ass so in my experience the rear brakes seem all but useless. They could be drum brakes for all i care. Does it matter much? I will do the rears when i do my 357's and watts link but figure its more cosmetic.

Cobrakit

Established Member
I do drive on track, but not with mustang at least yet. I live in a rural area and drive agressive and this is when I could feel the difference. the bias is off with just the front brakes. i do not believe the car can commensate. for regular street driving we probably wouldn't know it except you would never have to replace rear pads, ha, ha. so y 2 cents is change both for better balance. again not that you have too. if you already have 14's you have more than enough for the street. I got a good deal on mine and I added them when added blower.

Astenax

Established Member
I do drive on track, but not with mustang at least yet. I live in a rural area and drive agressive and this is when I could feel the difference. the bias is off with just the front brakes. i do not believe the car can commensate. for regular street driving we probably wouldn't know it except you would never have to replace rear pads, ha, ha. so y 2 cents is change both for better balance. again not that you have too. if you already have 14's you have more than enough for the street. I got a good deal on mine and I added them when added blower.

Cool, yeh i will be doing the rears probably this summer. I have a long list of rear end goodies i want to slap on, thanks!

Astenax

Established Member
Just wanted to post an update on my review after about 6 months with these brakes. I have had no issues at all and they still work like a dream. They still surprise me in the morning when I am tired and not ready as to how little pedal effort they take and i have to be sensitive to how hard I stomp them. I actually had to stop so hard that the ABS kicked in when I wasn't paying attention and saw a red light to late. I freaked out and fully stomped the brakes and the ABS kicked in and I stopped right at the light! I would say I was doing 40 and stopped in what seemed to me like less that 60 ft! I was literally blown away! I can say that these brakes probably saved me from a serious accident! I love these 6 pots and the quality I can't speak highly enough of them! Seriously guys, if you don't have the 4 pots already and are running the base brakes, do you're selves a favor and buy these 2014 GT500 brakes for you're S197 base Stang! These Brembos are awesome! I love getting all the Shelby hand me downs lol!

Last edited:

Mikko

I have a 14 Shelby and have been to several track events. I have found the brakes to be very good.

Upgraded fluid to castrol SRF.
Had Hawk HP plus pads in front and HPS in rear for awhile. Note the hawk pads are not a perfect fit and i do not recommend them for the 6 piston fronts because of that.they leave a rust ring on the rotor due to not covering and have some cutouts the stock pads dont. They have A bit more initial bite than the stock pads. Pretty significant dusting, can make a lot of noise.

Stock pads, fine on street, did better than i expected on track, but i took it easy with them on.

I just put carbotech xp20 pads in. Real aggressive bite. When i went around bock second time while bedding i could see the faint straight tire marks on pavement left from the previous time around. I dudnt get ABS sensation but i think it was applying. Did an easy track day earlier this week but did a few significant straight speeds to slow corners. Work fine cold but Probably need to pull them for the street sine they are loud.

Inam Thinking about getting ax6 or 1521 for street use.

If you need pads for the 6 pots i think carbotech is one of the better options. Full pad material coverage. Order well in advance, it took several weeks to get my xp20s since they had to make them. (That is why i had to put the stocks back in for a track day)

Typed w a pad dont want to fix my errors....

Good mod.

Last edited:

Zona14Stang

Established Member
I just installed the GT500 BBK as well. I am not overly impressed. When you are going 30 mph and hit the brakes hard does it lock up at all?. I bled mine 6 times now. We do not see any bubbles at all when bleeding but the pedal does not seem super firm. I mean it stops but just not as quick as I expected.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have had these brakes on my car since upgrading from the non brembo factory sliders. i cant tell you the # of times the stopping power of these brakes have saved me from accidents with idiots who cant drive. One of best mods I've done to my car.. Woe unto you haters...good brakes can save your life out there amongst the growing # of distracted drivers!

mitchster

Established Member
I just bought the big brake kit for the rear. Less than $250.00 for the parts. Next up will be the 15" 6P front kit. I do like your valve caps. I have the same ones on my Hurst wheels. When you add over 200 horse power, braking is a concern. Mitch

Astenax

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply, i will check out the carbotech. Have you bought them since and do they hold up for daily driving? I don't care for the Hawks, they bite hard but the squeal drives me nuts, otherwise a great pad, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread