2014 = Surprising Trends

Madlock

Established Member
I ordered it through flood ford. (Why do you ask) does it make a difference?

I spoke to the GM Joe Turchetti. I think he's a straight shooter. Just hope he's not getting incorrect info. I was told the order will show in the system tomorrow morning and I should have a build date?

:??:

Guess I will find out tomorrow ..

Always a risk the later in the build campaign an order is placed. And if Ford decides to abruptly shorten the model year as it did in 2012, no dealer will be able to control whether or not it receives any allocated vehicles that have not yet been built.

Yes, some dealers are more forthright than others. But THEY only know what their reps tell them, and reps aren't necessarily informed about directional changes the company may make that could cause a model year campaign to be cut short. They know what exists at the moment.

Only when a VIN has been assigned does any REAL assurance exist of a vehicle being built - and then it's getting built whether its wanted or not.

Allocations aren't non-perishable items. They're slots within a particular group of cars that will be manufactured whether or not dealers have specific orders to fill them. Dealers can "turn and earn" additional allocations based upon prior sales during the same year - or be given extra allocations during "build out" when Ford has determined the difference between what exists and what it wants to exist, which is the final step in scheduling a model year's production.

thank you Madlock. that makes perfect sense to me. however fanatical some small percentage of the population may be about a car that is worth being fanatical about, the corporation has overall profit as its prime concern. any particular individual who is just dying to get his/her order may see it as ridiculous that Ford would not want to build every single "sold" order but that's from their perspective, not the corporation who places corporate success first above building/selling any individual wow-factor vehicle. from the view of Ford, GT500 is a tiny slice of the pie. if there's a substantial risk of losing money by building every single order, then yes, they might turn off the spigot.

Every single car, be it Ka or GT500, is one thing and one thing only - a means to an end, nothing more. So is each lineworker, manager and executive - right up to the CEO. Certain means to certain ends are merely a means to the end of making the primary means to and possible - which is to earn the largest and most durable investment return. Period.

Any business that doesn't operate first and foremost with this in mind exists only by the same good grace that seems to protect children and fools.

what do you think is the reason that customer service at Ford/SVT will not confirm or deny that any given order is truly covered by a dealer allocation? when i asked them last year, i was told that the regional sales manager (the "rep" as most seem to call him/her) gets a particular number of allocations per that specific region and he/she decides which dealers get how many allocations...assuming they've paid the 2-year fee and are eligible. it seems like not allowing individual customers privvy to true allocation status is a way of promoting dealership autonomy which is a part of the dynamic that Ford wants to have with its dealers. any insight on that dynamic as you're aware of or as you'd deduce is probably the case?

Why won't SVT confirm of deny anything? Firstly, because SVT isn't empowered to do a damned thing when it comes to making the cars. It can only pull-up information on a computer screen and see whatever status others have decided to make available to them.

Secondly, but perhaps even more importantly, because the moment SVT "confirms" anything, at best a contract exists - and at worst an expectation it has absolutely NO way of assuring will be met. With no expectation, no opportunity for disappointment exists beyond what the customer himself chooses to conjure.

any individual customer who has been waiting for what he/she sees as too long and too frustrating would probably go to another dealer if they knew their order wasn't currently covered. but if they don't know their true status, and are frustrated, maybe they'll buy something else off that dealer's lot, so that particular dealer still keeps the customer's business. i know some dealers get an additional allocation too when some are redistributed later in the model year but that's a different issue from knowing allocation status when you place an order before that time. if it's all about 'big picture' profit, how does keeping a customer in the dark about allocation status promote that?

If you want that deep of an understanding, you'll need to talk to the Harvard MBA folks. But the short version is, within the overall manufacturing constraints, each dealer is an independent territorial monopoly granted in exchange for representing the Ford brand to a particular area. It's not always ideal, and much of it exists ONLY because it's the way things had first been done and simply grew too large to change before many states enacted arcane and anachronistic laws to protect individual franchisees - and prevent makers for changing how cars are sold.

Nobody would create from a blank sheet of paper what exits today, but it's what there is and so be it. As much as Ford may try to enforce uniformity and consistency, customers can have as many unique experiences as there are Ford dealers or even salespeople within them. You're not buying a car from Ford. You're buying a car from the dealer - and any access to allocation or ability to deliver upon its commitment depends entirely upon its willingness to commit only to that which it knows it can guarantee. Period.

Ford/SVT told me they didn't know how my 'rep' had them divided and my dealer would not let me talk to my rep. i tried to find a way to first find out who it was (there was some list that had every rep in the world). somebody on this forum told me how he found his somehow available via google, and had that person's 'linked in' name, contacted him that way and he says he actually got a response. i'm in the SF Bay Area. the list (just did a google search for: ford sales zone manager) said my rep was Raquel Tapia but i could never get a reply and nobody would confirm that for me at Ford/SVT or my Ford dealer.

You're making presumptions that relationships, accountability and insight exist between departments that may or may not have them. Nowhere from Ford will anybody see SVT named as the point of contact for order information. It's simply become ONE resource that has access to certain amounts of information one person reported one day as being useful, and others have since taken it, and many other presumptions as being gospel.

While Ford agrees to warranty the vehicle under certain terms once you've bought it, ANY AND ALL obligations and responsibilities to you exist only between you and your dealer which, like the cars they sell, are each nothing more than individual means to an end.

And so is every customer - which is why deciding which customers Ford DOESN'T want was every bit as important to its resurgence as making product available to those it does. Some people think the marketing folks' job is to make that sound like each person is the most important on earth. In reality, their even BIGGER job is to make the buyers Ford may not have an interest in serving today want to come back tomorrow when perhaps they may.

For any deeper understanding, you're going to have rely upon more than free advice from an online enthusiast forum. Otherwise, developing a longstanding relationship with a dealer in which you can have a certain degree of trust and buying early when a limited quantity of a product will be built are the best things anybody can do to ensure they're ultimately able to receive the product they want - no matter who they may be.

To leave you with a very simple example of why things are they way they happen to be - if a manufacturer has decided to build X amounts of units after deciding how to maximizing its resources ranging from capital infrastructure and cash flow to employees, supplier capacity and demand, the most expensive vehicle it could produce would be X+1. And unless it can build enough additional units beyond X to derive a sufficient investment return to make building them worthwhile, not a single additional widget is likely to roll off the line.

Last edited:

Gabed1972

Established Member
The total number of GT500 built or scheduled for production through July are 2,536 Coupes and 527 Convertibles.

Any chance you can find out how manny ruby red & race red convertibles made so far?:read:

BCPD199

Established Member
I live in Rhode Island, My local dealer indicated that Ford rep gave them an additional allocation and I was told that the order needed to be replaced by this Tuesday 6/25/13 by 5pm To get the order scheduled and it would show in the system on Friday. :??:

I placed an order for 2014 Shelby GT 500 convertible, 821, ruby red, white stripes, recaro's, navigation, shaker pro...

After reading all the posts I'm concerned that maybe my car will not get built?:fm:QUOTE]

Get that order placed. ASAP! My dealer called me last Monday saying good news, that they got one more allocation and to confirm my order with me. That was on the 17th. I called SVT yesterday and confirmed my build date for the week of August 12th.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
The total number of GT500 built or scheduled for production through July are 2,536 Coupes and 527 Convertibles.

How many Canadian 2014 GT500s so far? Do you happen to have a break down of the colour if possible?

Thanks! I am really enjoying your posts.

Gabed1972

Established Member
The guys at flood of Ford really came through for me :pepper:

I ordered the car on Tuesday and it's in the system. I got a build date today for the week of 8/12, My vin number And called SVT today and they confirmed everything.

So looks like my convertible will be built about the same time: mid August :beer:

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Got the VIN yesterday, order date ( 05/17/2013 ), schedule build date the week of 12 Aug..................subject to changes..

Fordfourlife

Established Member
I thought DIB would be higher on the list as well. Fine be me though, the less that look like mine the better.

Madlock

Established Member
I thought DIB would be higher on the list as well. Fine be me though, the less that look like mine the better.

Kona/DIB has historically trailed the perennial leader, Black, usually by about 50%. Red has tended to follow and then White, leaving Grays, Silvers and Grabber Blue to scramble for the remaining 10-15%.

Black is clearly on top, but by not as much as years past. Sterling Gray has come out of nowhere to fight neck and neck with White and Red Candy for 2nd, 3rd and 4th, with DIB being a fairly distant fifth and Race Red dropping for the first time ever to 6th. Ingot Silver and Grabber Blue are less than 5% each - in that particular order.

Bear in mind, this pertains to Coupes. Some variances exist among Convertibles, but not enough Convertibles are being made to strongly influence the colors' relative popularity.

With that said, 1 in every 5 cars is Black on Black. Anybody who wants one of those with everything but a Glass Roof should have no trouble finding one for quite some time.

ford13

Established Member
1 in every 5 cars is Black on Black. Anybody who wants one of those with everything but a Glass Roof should have no trouble finding one for quite some time.

And I thought I was the only one haha! Madlock this is a great thread thanks for the read!

Laurent:coolman:

sb03cobra

Established Member
Kona/DIB has historically trailed the perennial leader, Black, usually by about 50%. Red has tended to follow and then White, leaving Grays, Silvers and Grabber Blue to scramble for the remaining 10-15%.

Black is clearly on top, but by not as much as years past. Sterling Gray has come out of nowhere to fight neck and neck with White and Red Candy for 2nd, 3rd and 4th, with DIB being a fairly distant fifth and Race Red dropping for the first time ever to 6th. Ingot Silver and Grabber Blue are less than 5% each - in that particular order.

Bear in mind, this pertains to Coupes. Some variances exist among Convertibles, but not enough Convertibles are being made to strongly influence the colors' relative popularity.

With that said, 1 in every 5 cars is Black on Black. Anybody who wants one of those with everything but a Glass Roof should have no trouble finding one for quite some time.

Thanks for all the info that you post. Looks like only a few like mine out there...Ingot silver / black with SVTPP.

Users who are viewing this thread