2014 Z/28 Motortrend First Test

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Wow, I realize this isn't intended as a straight line car. But, the 0-60 and E/T MPH are astonishing! I'm very unimpressed. 80HP and only A .3 Sec drop in 0-60, .4 sec drop in ET. What this car really shows is, not how bad ass the LS7 is, but how phenomenal the power to weight and aerodynamics design of the Corvette is. You can keep your z/28 and all 5th gens for that matter.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Wow, I realize this isn't intended as a straight line car. But, the 0-60 and E/T MPH are astonishing! I'm very unimpressed. 80HP and only A .3 Sec drop in 0-60, .4 sec drop in ET. What this car really shows is, not how bad ass the LS7 is, but how phenomenal the power to weight and aerodynamics design of the Corvette is. You can keep your z/28 and all 5th gens for that matter.

agreed!

JDsfastGN

Established Member

Ok... Power is all in the trap speed. Et is traction. I'd hope you know that already though ;) 117 vs 111 and most SS are in the 109-110 range is a substantial gain. 117 on a stickier track ( not an unprepared cold surface)like it was tested on can easily go 11.8-12.0 in the hands of a good driver. The car was meant to handle extemely well and according to all the reviews so far it does so in spades. Head to head I bet this car will beat the c7 z51 around the track. I'd take a top of the line track ready beast over a base run of the mill c7 any day as once the widebody Z06 is out the Base cars will lose a lot of their flare IMO.

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Ok... Power is all in the trap speed. Et is traction. I'd hope you know that already though ;) 117 vs 111 and most SS are in the 109-110 range is a substantial gain. 117 on a stickier track ( not an unprepared cold surface)like it was tested on can easily go 11.8-12.0 in the hands of a good driver. The car was meant to handle extemely well and according to all the reviews so far it does so in spades. Head to head I bet this car will beat the c7 z51 around the track. I'd take a top of the line track ready beast over a base run of the mill c7 any day as once the widebody Z06 is out the Base cars will lose a lot of their flare IMO.

I understand that power is best measured with trap speed, it's pretty common roll racer rice logic. People point to MPH as a crutch and say my car is a "9 second car." Call me old school, until you go out there and run 9,10,11's Your car isn't that. Even still 6 MPH increase out of an 80 horsepower gain, it leaves plenty to be desired, that is the biggest gain of the car and it is par at best.

Head to Head I bet if you put the z/28 wheels and tires on the c7 it will kill the z/28. for 25k less. Personally, the 5th gen and the C7 both make me want to vomit on sight. However, I've always been a pretty big proponent of the LS7 platform, whereas I should have given more love to the Corvette design itself. This here clearly shows that.

If you'd rather have a z/28 than a c7, then I'd be forced to call your assessment skills questionable. By all means go buy one ;) i'll race ya straight line(Yes, I know just like my original post said it wasn't intended for that but with an LS7, it certainly should have been more capable)

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Being that this car is supposed to be the second coming I'm not impressed. Admittedly, I am not a Camaro fan at all but if you're going to ask $78k for a pony car it better be a damn special one. Just because they aren't going to make a lot of them I'm sure they'll sell but even if I were a billionaire I wouldn't own one. I see more value in a GT500 or even the CobraJet for that matter, not to mention the better looks.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
Cool looking car and nice parts, but the price doesn't match the performance what so ever. I just couldn't pay that much for a Z/28. In my opinion they should have made it for a better price and just made it an option versus getting a regular SS or something like that. The ZL1 is their supposed badass Camaro, and we all know where that cars stands against others with similar price and performance. You can get a used ZO6 for $20-25k less and do way more with it. It's a shame, cause I am not a Chevy hater, I am just disappointed with the Camaro.

Jday14

Established Member
Way over priced for what it is that's for sure. Who are they trying to appeal to? Just do on't think anyone is going to buy it, if you are in the market for a track only toy for 70-80 grand your going to be looking at getting a more competent and capable platform.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Head to Head I bet if you put the z/28 wheels and tires on the c7 it will kill the z/28. for 25k less.

If you'd rather have a z/28 than a c7, then I'd be forced to call your assessment skills questionable. By all means go buy one ;) i'll race ya straight line

In the Motor Trend articles, the C7 was $9k less after all the mag ride goodies etc, and pulled 1.11g whereas the Z/28 was 1.06. That is Michelin SS vs Pireli Trofeos with a wider footprint. The only area where the z/28 outright beat it is braking 104ft from 60 as opposed to 97ft from the Z/28. Sooo yeah, I'd have to agree with you, but I tried looking up times from Milford and the only ones I found were when the Z was against the Boss and pulled a 1:53:71 and one of a C7 Stingray, no z51, no mag ride (from what I could tell) 1:57:69.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGu3QKACZEA (C7 video)

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Just like anyone that spent $50K on a Mustang back in 2000.

While I don't entirely disagree, the 2000 Cobra R had a lot more going for it at the time. It was the 1st effort in taking a 4V 5.4 and sticking it into a mustang at the time was lunacy.

It wasn't really an already successful existing platform that they transplanted into a mustang(unless you want to make the Navigator Argument) It was the highest horsepower/trq vehicle offered by ford at the time not the case for the z/28. It is MUCH more rare to the tune of 300 cars as opposed to 3,000.

It was by far the clear stand out on a track a 99 or 01 Cobra was no where near capable of the same lap times. It was also an entire second+ faster in the 1/4 with an 11 MPH gain and full second faster 0-60 when compared against a 2001 cobra. Keep in mind this is comparing 385hp vs 320HP a 65 HP gain as opposed to 80 on the Camaro.

All that being said, you can pick up decent mileage 2000 Cobra R's for mid-low 20's. A local guy here will trade for about any 13/14 5.0. So, Buyer beware the Z/28 will more than likely never be worth much of anything.

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
While I don't entirely disagree, the 2000 Cobra R had a lot more going for it at the time. It was the 1st effort in taking a 4V 5.4 and sticking it into a mustang at the time was lunacy.

It wasn't really an already successful existing platform that they transplanted into a mustang(unless you want to make the Navigator Argument) It was the highest horsepower/trq vehicle offered by ford at the time not the case for the z/28. It is MUCH more rare to the tune of 300 cars as opposed to 3,000.

It was by far the clear stand out on a track a 99 or 01 Cobra was no where near capable of the same lap times. It was also an entire second+ faster in the 1/4 with an 11 MPH gain and full second faster 0-60 when compared against a 2001 cobra. Keep in mind this is comparing 385hp vs 320HP a 65 HP gain as opposed to 80 on the Camaro.

All that being said, you can pick up decent mileage 2000 Cobra R's for mid-low 20's. A local guy here will trade for about any 13/14 5.0. So, Buyer beware the Z/28 will more than likely never be worth much of anything.
:dw::lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread