2014 Z/28 Motortrend First Test

Mach828

Established Member
I guess a comparable target is the Boss 302. Motor trend rating it at 12.3 @ 116 vs the 12.4 @ 117 for the z28.

But sticker on a 2013 Boss is $42,000 . . . . . .

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I guess a comparable target is the Boss 302. Motor trend rating it at 12.3 @ 116 vs the 12.4 @ 117 for the z28.

But sticker on a 2013 Boss is $42,000 . . . . . .

Very true. And considering both cars are built for straight line speed.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Also keep in mind how restricted the LS7 is. Stock they dyno 440-445rwhp. With a tune and headers they dyno 500rwhp. With a mild cam they dyno 530-540. With Heads, a big cam and Fast Intake they will dyno 570-600rwhp depending on cam size. That's 150+ at the wheels. This car runs 117+ with 445rwhp. Add another 150rwhp which most will and see how it runs.

This car is far from a disappointment tech wise as much as some fan boys want to claim. All the suspension bits, cooling parts and advanced PTM are great. At $75k it is a joke though. 55-60k and it's a great car for the tech involved. But no luxury items ie Nav, great stereo, leather and suede wrapped dash like the ZL1 etc.. And it is a disappointment.

Sadly GM will sell every one regardless of what people think of the price. Plenty will do the standard LS7 mods and hurt feelings on and off the track.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Also keep in mind how restricted the LS7 is. Stock they dyno 440-445rwhp. With a tune and headers they dyno 500rwhp. With a mild cam they dyno 530-540. With Heads, a big cam and Fast Intake they will dyno 570-600rwhp depending on cam size. That's 150+ at the wheels. This car runs 117+ with 445rwhp. Add another 150rwhp which most will and see how it runs.

This car is far from a disappointment tech wise as much as some fan boys want to claim. All the suspension bits, cooling parts and advanced PTM are great. At $75k it is a joke though. 55-60k and it's a great car for the tech involved. But no luxury items ie Nav, great stereo, leather and suede wrapped dash like the ZL1 etc.. And it is a disappointment.

Sadly GM will sell everyone regardless of what people think of the price. Plenty will do the standard LS7 mods and hurt feelings on and off the track.

That's no different than a the standard 1LE engine though. It's just as restricted and can just as easily gain 120+ rwhp with heads/cams/intake. I'm not knocking the LS7. I'm praising the Corvette design.

It's going to be about like any other 5th gen. Interior motor work or a power adder to keep up with the competition.

stangfreak

Established Member
z/28 looks bad ass. But the price wow! This is going to get interesting on the streets with all these cars coming out.

kcsvt whats up!!!!! Hey is the 5.0 a better car than the new z/28? will the camaro keep up with it??

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
z/28 looks bad ass. But the price wow! This is going to get interesting on the streets with all these cars coming out.

kcsvt whats up!!!!! Hey is the 5.0 a better car than the new z/28? will the camaro keep up with it??

:lol:. Oh man, and so it begins.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member

Freak, sky.

5.0 is a Ford, in my mind yes it's bar nun a better car than any 5th Gen. As previously stated multiple times, the only GM product I have much of any respect for is the Corvette, that being said I think the base C7 is awful looking. However, you cannot deny their performance when put up against a car by the same manufacturer that costs 25k more.

I think what you're asking is will the z/28 keep up with a 5.0? Sure it should have no problem keeping up with a tune/filter 5.0
Now a Terminator on the other hand........:eek:

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Thats such a badass car, no matter how it performed most here would knock it.

Not true if it performed somewhere between a c7 and a future c7z it would be a different story because of the price the're asking. Fact of the matter is, it offers equal performance to a base c7 for 25k more. I think it's too much to expect it to run with a c7. Which is why I thought the car was way overpriced from the get go. It needs to be 42-48k in my opinion, That's ok i'm sure they'll still sell! It's just another example of Government Motors doing what they've done for years. Screw it's customers.

Last edited:

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Camaro and Mustang buyers are cost conscious because we mostly buy these cars because we do not have unlimited income dedicated to hotrodding. Otherwise, we would be buying 100k plus sports cars. The car runs and looks better then the older models but at that price, there are a lot of options on there. I doubt we will see a lot of these on the streets. They will be bought by the uber rich fanboys and tucked away in their collection, only driven out for cleaning and waxing. It's going to be a waste.

kaz109

Established Member
I will not buy.....do not want. Even for a toy I would rather spend that 75k on a GT3

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Not true if it performed somewhere between a c7 and a future c7z it would be a different story because of the price the're asking. Fact of the matter is, it offers equal performance to a base c7 for 25k more. I think it's too much to expect it to run with a c7. Which is why I thought the car was way overpriced from the get go. It needs to be 42-48k in my opinion, That's ok i'm sure they'll still sell! It's just another example of Government Motors doing what they've done for years. Screw it's customers.

So by default the GT500 should be priced around 42-48k as well?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

A Mustang shouldn't be compared to a Corvette and neither should a Camaro:shrug:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
It's just another example of Government Motors doing what they've done for years. Screw it's customers.

Do some research..Ford was BEGGING the government to bail out GM. They have so much of their production, parts, aftermarket etc intertwined that Fords livelihood had a lot to do with GMs livelihood and vice-versa..and if you think Ford didnt need loans to survive your are fooling yourself.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
So by default the GT500 should be priced around 42-48k as well?

That’s about spot on what most members here paid for a brand new GT500 if you ask them. :rolleyes:

I always get “but the GT500 is $58k” or “my dealership has them for $59k”….yeah for a base optioned model….all 3 of our local dealerships had $5-10k mark ups on them and still had no trouble selling them. Build one with options to that most people will want (SVT, Track pack, glass roof, Recaros, and premium audio/video/NAV) and your are going to be in the $69,000-70,000 area.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Do some research..Ford was BEGGING the government to bail out GM. They have so much of their production, parts, aftermarket etc intertwined that Fords livelihood had a lot to do with GMs livelihood and vice-versa..and if you think Ford didnt need loans to survive your are fooling yourself.

Yeah, Ford needed loans (just not from the government) which they took (years in advance from actual banks) because of foresight and good corporate planning. Rick Wagoner was saying GM's cash position was adequate and sufficient and a year or so later they needed $60 billion to continue operations. So close!

Ford was begging the Government to bail out GM because GM was(is) the retarded, coked-up 800 lb gorilla in the room, and when that gorilla goes on a bender the collateral damage hurts everyone.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Fact of the matter is, it offers equal performance to a base c7 for 25k more. I think it's too much to expect it to run with a c7.

A base C7? not even a Z51/Stingray car?

You think a base C7 is gonna run around a track with a Z28 with all of its suspension goodies, prob a solid 40-50rwhp more than the Vette and those insanely sticky tires?

For what its worth and for a comparison a C5 Z06 lapped The Ring in 7:41 at 3100lbs and about 340-350rwhp. In wet conditions the Z28 was already almost 5 seconds quicker than a C5Z06.

Users who are viewing this thread