2015 5.0 Changes

92fiveohfox

Established Member
If they are 450-460hp and 200lbs lighter, it shouldn't be too hard to break into the 10s with a converter/bolton auto...

LostPony

Established Member
Performance wise I would be disappointed if the car isn't .1 quicker to 60, and .2-.3 quicker in the quarter than the Boss in magazine tests. Real world numbers will matter most, but for the sake of internet war of words it will be mag tests that will be cited most often.

On a road course I hope to see it best even the ZL1. More than that, I hope the brakes hold up so that it is repeatable performance, not just a hero lap. Whatever the track version is, that better be quicker than the Z/28, which will be quite a feat as that car is pretty impressive on a road course if initial reports are to be trusted.

No matter where you stand on this car, it's an exciting time to be an American pony car fan!

Formula51

Established Member
I'm guessing that the charge motion valves in the intake manifold and the mid lock cam phasers were included specifically to tame the more radical heads and cams at idle and low speed part throttle operation.

As for the tranny:

The Mechanicals of the 2015 Mustang - 2015 Ford Mustang - The Car Guide

That wasn't my question. I have read where Boss owners have trouble shifting at high rpm and the manual transmission was pointed to as the problem. I was wondering if anything has been changed/improved on the transmission to prevent the GT from having the same problems as the Boss. Perhaps the GT will be rev limited low enough to eliminate the potential problem...

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
That wasn't my question. I have read where Boss owners have trouble shifting at high rpm and the manual transmission was pointed to as the problem. I was wondering if anything has been changed/improved on the transmission to prevent the GT from having the same problems as the Boss. Perhaps the GT will be rev limited low enough to eliminate the potential problem...

The Getrag manual has a new shift linkage design for shorter throws and improved precision. The shift lever is now positioned closer to the driver and away from the cup-holders so the driver has a clear path for shifting.

copied from the front page news

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member

I have had issues with shifts at redline which I believe, and many others do too, is because of the remote mounted shifter. They seemed to have addressed that with the revised linkages and bushings, but it remains to be seen of it will work. Also, someone stated that the case was lighter, but on StangTV they quoted Ford rep as saying the 6 speed auto was a lighter case, not the Getrag manual.

Voltwings

Established Member

its not a Boss specific issue, it happens on GT's as well. A stock rev limiter wont matter, because the issue happens on cars tuned to run north of 7800 rpms, basically the synchros just cant keep up. However, with this new and improved drivetrain, it will be possible to make more power with less rpms, and could eleviate, or at least partially remedy that problem.

LostPony

Established Member
Quoted from the article on StangTV:

The Getrag six-speed manual has been revised to allow for smoother shifting and we hope greater durability. A new shifter design and new bushings improve shifter throw in the six-speed and the shifter has been moved closer to the driver for an improved driving experience.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
Quoted from the article on StangTV:

The Getrag six-speed manual has been revised to allow for smoother shifting and we hope greater durability. A new shifter design and new bushings improve shifter throw in the six-speed and the shifter has been moved closer to the driver for an improved driving experience.

Sweet!

twistedneck

Established Member
Just referred back to the 5.0 Magazine CJ article and the CJ does not have bigger valves. They're just Boss heads with different springs.

So the 2015 GT will have harger valves than either the Boss or CJ. Wow.

Also looks like the 2015 may be using the CJ intake cam and the Boss exhaust cam.

Edit: Also - Mid-lock cam phasers to provide greater range of cam timing on the intake side, revised piston tops, new balanced forged crank (likely the Boss part).

Most of the extra cam sweep is for fuel economy and emissions IMO. to make power you don't need to sweep the full 50 degrees as it is now... although I did see the original CJ tune and it has full overlap i.e. 50 degrees on both cams. hmmmm. :??:

Also, bigger valves was the only thing we could do to improve flow, and that would need an architecture change.. I bet they made that happen along with the improved port (improved, not bigger).

It will not have much more power to the tires though since the parasitic losses are a lot higher, probably almost double the solid axle - one pc. drive shaft losses.

No DI? that seems off.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
How long before the big shops. i.e.jpc have one with headers, nitrous, turbos etc..:poke:

Probably quite a while since the cars wont hit lots til next fall. Cant wait though to see how far someone can push this 2.3. It sounds like it has good pieces in it and will be a depart from the normal bolt on v8.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Im thinking with DI we will see a 500 hp 5.0, but not right away. The new camaro debuts soon too and I think Ford is saving that to one up GM.

germeezy1

Established Member
In my opinion many of these changes are powerband changes, and to improve airflow in the mid lift ranges ( for added torque in the low, and mid rpm ranges). With a 200 lb lighter curb weight it may be that the first variation will have an improved powerband but not make much more peak power.

RTD

Established Member
Aussie unveil video claims 529 Newton meters of tq, so about 391ish ft lbs...I dont see 450hp...I see 430.

That's just the current output. I've seen a ton of US stories saying 420/390 (the current level). What Ford has said is it will make more than the current level without saying how much, and the press is just translating that into the current numbers.

RTD

Established Member
It will not have much more power to the tires though since the parasitic losses are a lot higher, probably almost double the solid axle - one pc. drive shaft losses.

Double? As in ~30% instead of ~15%? I find that hard to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread