2015 5.0 Changes

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Double? As in ~30% instead of ~15%? I find that hard to believe.

Maybe not double, but definately worse. I've found most 8.8's with manual transmissions to be closer to 10-12% total. The 8.8's themselves loses a portion of that total (4% ?)... basically, expect the IRS to now be losing similar power to what the Camaro's lose. The Camaros are still running bigger wheels/tires tho, so that might be small factor against them still.

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
Any word on pistons?

Same as previously, except larger cutouts on the top for the bigger valves.

They're probably saving the forged ones for the SVT.

Taneras

Established Member
Same as previously, except larger cutouts on the top for the bigger valves.

They're probably saving the forged ones for the SVT.

What about the rods? Didn't the 5.0's already have sinter forged rods? Does anyone know if these are the same or are more inline with what the Boss 302 has.

The general consensus seems to be a 600rwhp max on the current 5.0's. I'm wondering if these newer ones will push a little past that? What do you think?

Voltwings

Established Member
Having come from a DI vehicle, i can say it is awesome ... until you run out of fuel. E85 has an effective octane of about 160 in DI applications, i was able to run my turbo 4 cylinder to 500 whp with only about 25% E85 in the tank, the rest being 93. DI is still new enough that there arent really many aftermarket injector options though, its not as simple as just pulling these injectors out and throwing larger ones in. What we had to do was actually add separate injectors somewhere in the system, be it a newly designed IM, or in the cold pipe. Not to mention the need for two fuel pumps (at least), an in-tank pump like normal, but also a cam driven high pressure fuel pump to meet DI's 1500-2000+ Fuel pressure needed. That adds cost and complexity to the system, and will likely need to be one of the first pieces upgraded on any DI build, especially trying to run demanding fuels like E85.

I ran two 1000cc injectors in my cold side intercooler piping which were wired to a split second stand alone fuel controller spliced into my MAF and tach signal. I had to tune my cars computer pulling fuel out of the MAF curve since i was hitting 100% injector duty cycle, and then flip over and tune the stand alone controller to put that fuel and more back in. I designed a badass spreadsheet to do the math for me, but it still takes a LOT of time to dial it in perfectly and its by no means easy. I know DI is the future, but for the moment PI still wins in the big horsepower game. Granted with big platforms like the corvette (and potentially mustang) getting into the game, its probably only a matter of time.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
No way the new GT is rated 450 hp. I say 435. They have to have room to bump it and grow for future 5.0's.

MadMoose

Established Member
What about the rods? Didn't the 5.0's already have sinter forged rods? Does anyone know if these are the same or are more inline with what the Boss 302 has.

The general consensus seems to be a 600rwhp max on the current 5.0's. I'm wondering if these newer ones will push a little past that? What do you think?

In the American muscle reveal video they were interviewing one of the ford execs and he said they gave it the rods and valve springs "from the Boss 302"

Deranged2013

Established Member
Since they added the Boss crankshaft and Boss connecting rods, they should've added the Boss pistons also. Would be nice since the pistons are the weak link in the current models.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I am pleased to hear Ford has not yet gone to DI on the 5.0 liter. It will just be easier to mod the 5.0 without the DI. I am thinking the 2015 5.0 will be producing 465 to 475 horsepower. The 5.0 Mustang is going to be a real GT with this level of power and IRS.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Since they added the Boss crankshaft and Boss connecting rods, they should've added the Boss pistons also. Would be nice since the pistons are the weak link in the current models.

Yep I agree, but then again this is just a GT not anything special beyond that. The Mach 1? Or Shelby GT350? will be the show stoppers in my eyes and will be the next one I get if they are competitive with the C7 Z06.

skulls

Established Member
That's just the current output. I've seen a ton of US stories saying 420/390 (the current level). What Ford has said is it will make more than the current level without saying how much, and the press is just translating that into the current numbers.

Nope, he was talking the new coyote, not the current one...I agree with others, most changes will be to improve the power band and up numbers in areas where they are lower, not change peak hp much.... but I could be wrong...

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
There's been lots of discussion from Ford about the motor having more power, and the car as a whole using authentic quality materials. With the addition of an IRS the car is obviously heavier.

I have yet to see anything by Ford confirming any weight reduction. Can anyone confirm a weight reduction on the car confirmed by Ford? Increased power is fun, but the car won't perform better if it's heavier.

skulls

Established Member
There's been lots of discussion from Ford about the motor having more power, and the car as a whole using authentic quality materials. With the addition of an IRS the car is obviously heavier.

I have yet to see anything by Ford confirming any weight reduction. Can anyone confirm a weight reduction on the car confirmed by Ford? Increased power is fun, but the car won't perform better if it's heavier.

All the interviews from the peeps at Ford have confirmed, im pretty sure.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
All the interviews from the peeps at Ford have confirmed, im pretty sure.

Interesting. I spent 3 hours looking at pics and video on the eve of it's release date and didn't see any videos with weight being discussed. In fact, the one thing I noticed that Ford gave little to no information on was power and weight. I saw a few videos and articles about "boss-like" components, but nothing about weight.

Doesn't mean that I saw every video or article. I would just think a lighter car (with a good power increase as well) would really help promoting the car. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Voltwings

Established Member

I forget where because i've been looking everywhere, but the '15 GT is supposed to school the Boss around a track. Id be willing to bet this new GT is a performer, the real question is going to be what is it competing against when the time comes.

khell

Established Member
Weight Savings

Interesting. I spent 3 hours looking at pics and video on the eve of it's release date and didn't see any videos with weight being discussed. In fact, the one thing I noticed that Ford gave little to no information on was power and weight. I saw a few videos and articles about "boss-like" components, but nothing about weight.

Doesn't mean that I saw every video or article. I would just think a lighter car (with a good power increase as well) would really help promoting the car. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Weight savings come in the form of aluminum bumpers, hood, and the suspension believe it or not. Right now the word is 200 lbs, but that doesn't state if thats from the weight savings of the ecoboost or the 5.0.

draxxus131

Established Member
Faster than the Boss if the GT is ordered with the Performance Package, is what the Rep said at Venice Beach yesterday. It was an unveiling, with a very 420 friendly boardwalk lol.

Users who are viewing this thread