2015 Mustang GT Catback weight.... wow

viperakron

Established Member
Also remember that IRS is going to add 150-200lbs. Overall, the car actually is lighter if you changed to a solid axle. I think some folks are overlooking that.

Is the aftermarket working on a solid rear conversion yet? Cobra Jet will have to have one.

evolve

Established Member
That is a heavy one there. 35-45lbs for an aftermarket piece would be nice. Titanium anyone? ($$$)

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
How do we know the IRS adds that much weight? The Band-Aid version that went into the 99/01 and 03/04 added less than 100 lbs (I had both, and did swaps with both). It would *seem* that a properly-engineered IRS shouldn't add more than that - and probably should add less. However, I don't know, and again....how do we know what it added, or what it would have weighed with a stick axle? Seriously curious...

I'll keep my other weight comments to myself....this time... ;)

I thought the 03-04 Cobra IRS was closer to 200lbs. heavier than SRA. That's what I was actually basing the estimation on. Sorry if I was wrong.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Ok. Ya, I've seen that a lot, but based on my personal experience with the 99 and 04, the difference is right around 95 lbs. That said, I really DON'T know how much tonnage this car would lose if they had used a stick axle instead. I'm sure someone will come out with a swap kit at some point and give us at least some idea.

93SVTvenom

Established Member
Just read through ... Pretty interesting ... I agree that 71.6 pounds is heavy and I also agree that the IRS did add some heft to the car. I know the aftermarket will step in one way or another to give the diehards what they are looking for. I think their focus for this was solely refinement and trying to "please" everyone. When we get back to the states the wife wants to test drive one mostly because she likes the new interior and hopes to join me in some sort of autocrossing/road racing. I think this platform will be great for what she and many enthusiasts are looking for ... I cant wait to see what Maximum Motorsports comes up with and MBRP. It is great that companies the BBR are posting this data ... sure my wife wont care ... but when she wants to go faster I will know where to start!!! Thanks guy for the info ... Keep it coming

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just read through ... Pretty interesting ... I agree that 71.6 pounds is heavy and I also agree that the IRS did add some heft to the car. I know the aftermarket will step in one way or another to give the diehards what they are looking for. I think their focus for this was solely refinement and trying to "please" everyone. When we get back to the states the wife wants to test drive one mostly because she likes the new interior and hopes to join me in some sort of autocrossing/road racing. I think this platform will be great for what she and many enthusiasts are looking for ... I cant wait to see what Maximum Motorsports comes up with and MBRP. It is great that companies the BBR are posting this data ... sure my wife wont care ... but when she wants to go faster I will know where to start!!! Thanks guy for the info ... Keep it coming

you guys have to remember, that the mid pipe is now part of the "exhaust system" and not part of the header setup as well.

I'll have to go back, but if you look at the 11-14, from headers back, I don't think your going to see much of a difference, nothing ridiculous anyway

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
you guys have to remember, that the mid pipe is now part of the "exhaust system" and not part of the header setup as well.

I'll have to go back, but if you look at the 11-14, from headers back, I don't think your going to see much of a difference, nothing ridiculous anyway

x2... LOL

Voltwings

Established Member
Keep in mind though the cats were also in the 11-14 mid pipe, and that's where i'd say 75-80% of the weight was coming from, on the '15 the cats are still on the header. They're taking 71 lbs off the car with the cats still in place, and anyone who's removed an 11-14 mid pipe knows those cats are heavy as shit...

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
The header with the cat is pretty light I must say. Ill weight it here today. The drive side the cat is not part of the header.

Voltwings

Established Member
"Technically speaking." Not to just be argumentative for the sake of it, but no one is just going to be removing 1 cat when they do their exhaust. It will be interesting to see what the header / cat (or just cat) combo weighs.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
It's funny, because I was thinking the exhaust clips I've heard sounded deeper than the 11-14. That would certainly explain why.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Can you point me in the direction of some information on this firing order change for the 2015?

To be honest its one of those rumor's (IMO) I've recently heard from the FRPP of the world (actual Ford). I was looking more into it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread