2015 mustang weight

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Ford has fallen behind unless you consider 3 solid years as the best car in the segment that sells the 2nd best as an achievement.

As a consumer, I don't care about sales numbers compared to the Camaro. The product itself is light years ahead of where it was in past, and to me, that is not a fail or falling behind.

germeezy1

Established Member
As a consumer, I don't care about sales numbers compared to the Camaro. The product itself it light years ahead of where it was in past and to me, that is not a fail or falling behind.

I didn't ask your opinion on what you considered to be falling behind. A better Camaro makes a better Mustang, and today we are on the cusp of the best Mustang yet. Personally I am glad that the Camaro exists because since it debuted again Ford has year over year made the Mustang better, and better. Ford is in the business of selling cars not in the business of making better cars that sell worse than the competition which most consider to be a less capable car.

tbi0904

Established Member
400 lbs is wildly optimistic. I think the GT will come in the 50-100 lb lighter category. I also think all the Camaro fans that are creaming their shorts over a BRZ sized 4 seat Corvette all for 35k or less are going to be just as disapointted as some Mustang fans are over the '15 keeping nearly the same dimensions as the S197.

tbi0904

Established Member
I know that stuff is new for Mustang. Not anywhere else.
If Ford doesn't or won't have a corvette class car. Abandoned all current svt vehicles. No longer using camaro as a benchmark...etc..etc....what's left?

It seems...so far...we get nothing. Not a vision. Not a plan. Not a muscle car. No track car. Just rumors and a F150.....what a cop out Ford...

Ford has not abandoned "all SVT vehicles." Spy pics of an S550 SVT Mustang have been out for quite some time. Where have you been? The F150 is more important to Ford than a Mustang ever will be, especially one as re engineered as the new F150. Ford isn't doing anything to take the spotlight off their cash cow.

darreng505

Established Member
Ford has not abandoned "all SVT vehicles." Spy pics of an S550 SVT Mustang have been out for quite some time. Where have you been? The F150 is more important to Ford than a Mustang ever will be, especially one as re engineered as the new F150. Ford isn't doing anything to take the spotlight off their cash cow.

I saw that and its only rumored to be an svt vehicle. I KNOW there will be svt vehicles. But right now none are produced and none are announced. Maybe abandoned was too harsh a word but we are definitely in limbo right now. Thats all I'm saying.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I saw that and its only rumored to be an svt vehicle. I KNOW there will be svt vehicles. But right now none are produced and none are announced. Maybe abandoned was too harsh a word but we are definitely in limbo right now. Thats all I'm saying.

:shrug: 2014 662hp GT500 :shrug:

Husker

Established Member
What is the difference in weight between a IRS & Straight/Solid Axel? Not being smart, just curious.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
motor trend has the new 2015 mustang for weight range of 3,450-3,800lbs, which isnt that much of a diff 100lbs @ most compared to 2010-2014 of 3,550-3,850lbs

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Catch up? Ford is falling behind. Is that a strategy?
Z/28 and Z06 get announced a full year before availability. Etc.

It wouldn't kill Ford to make some kind of announcement and teaser pic. But we don't get that. So when? Meanwhile other brands are releasing real cars...yes. so far its a fail because I see nothing to get excited about from my brand .

Asking consumers to be patient is like asking kids to sit still on a roller coaster. Thats why chevy announces their cars way in advance -- loyalty reasons.

1. the z28 is the biggest load of crap and waste of money ever. Yes, the thing will perform, and if the stats are correct it will perform quite well. However, its $75k+, with no AC or radio standard, and in factory trim does not comply with an SCCA rules. What that means is your $75k camaro with its "sights set on GT-R's and GT3's" is nothing more than an open track day toy.

2. Lets be honest, brand loyalty aside, the Z06 is going to be badass, but releasing info a year in advance is just as dangerous as saying nothing because now theres expectations to live up to. A lot can happen between now and then.

Ford said "on December 5th, you will know what the new mustang looks like." Lo and behold, on December 5th, we knew what the mustang looked like, it was a huge launch and a huge success. We have known for quite some time the Mustang in its entirety was going to be released in April, on its birthday, and its going to be huge. Im not sure what you're so upset about, its like knowing what your presents are on christmas morning, theres no fun in that.

darreng505

Established Member
1. the z28 is the biggest load of crap and waste of money ever. Yes, the thing will perform, and if the stats are correct it will perform quite well. However, its $75k+, with no AC or radio standard, and in factory trim does not comply with an SCCA rules. What that means is your $75k camaro with its "sights set on GT-R's and GT3's" is nothing more than an open track day toy.

2. Lets be honest, brand loyalty aside, the Z06 is going to be badass, but releasing info a year in advance is just as dangerous as saying nothing because now theres expectations to live up to. A lot can happen between now and then.

Ford said "on December 5th, you will know what the new mustang looks like." Lo and behold, on December 5th, we knew what the mustang looked like, it was a huge launch and a huge success. We have known for quite some time the Mustang in its entirety was going to be released in April, on its birthday, and its going to be huge. Im not sure what you're so upset about, its like knowing what your presents are on christmas morning, theres no fun in that.

I agree with your points 1 & 2 entirely. I'm not upset but again, the point is that Ford hasn't really said anything concrete what they're up to. Chevy's cards are on the table. We have to wait 2 more years (or down the road) for a track mustang? Or a performance Mustang? I don't think Ford has to spill the beans completely, but again, a teaser pic and a "this is coming" won't kill them or spoil their plans. By the time, Ford release their performance cars 2 years from now, Chevy will be on to new updates and releases too. So I'm just saying, what's the strategy here because buyers are ready to decide between Chevy and Ford.

I think there is a certain art to leaking info in vague but tantalizing ways to keep people interested. It happens in all kinds of markets. Ford would say let's just enjoy the new Mustang. Ok, fine. But some of us don't care about the "everybody's car", we want something "badass" and right now that's coming from GM and that does piss me off. lol :cuss:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
check out this months issue of motor trend they said base v6 car is 3,450, which was 3500-3600lbs for 2010-2014, and the shelbys and verts were 3,800-3,900lbs, they have down 3,800lbs for them , which is only 100lb diffrence.

End of Story, people who belived a 300-400+lb diffrence are sadly mistaken

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
As far as we know, the 2015 Mustang will not be in dealer showrooms until late Summer. By the end of the Summer, there are not many days that a person in a colder climate can drive a high horsepower Mustang before Winter. It will be much better for Ford to bring out an SVT product in the Spring of 2015. There still should be some 2014 GT500 Mustangs with 662 horsepower at some dealers for the enthusiast who wants the horsepower. The 2015 Mustang will give a new buyer a choice between two high performance Mustangs with the track pack option. The buyer can choose between a turbo four and a higher horsepower GT. Two big choices to hold us over until the next SVT Mustang is produced. As Mustang buyers go, we still have it pretty good.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I agree with your points 1 & 2 entirely. I'm not upset but again, the point is that Ford hasn't really said anything concrete what they're up to. Chevy's cards are on the table. We have to wait 2 more years (or down the road) for a track mustang? Or a performance Mustang? I don't think Ford has to spill the beans completely, but again, a teaser pic and a "this is coming" won't kill them or spoil their plans. By the time, Ford release their performance cars 2 years from now, Chevy will be on to new updates and releases too. So I'm just saying, what's the strategy here because buyers are ready to decide between Chevy and Ford.

I think there is a certain art to leaking info in vague but tantalizing ways to keep people interested. It happens in all kinds of markets. Ford would say let's just enjoy the new Mustang. Ok, fine. But some of us don't care about the "everybody's car", we want something "badass" and right now that's coming from GM and that does piss me off. lol :cuss:

And because of that other brands have very little idea what to prepare for. I don't see why anyone would expect Ford to disappoint after they just released the 13-14 GT500. They were very secretive with that car while Chevy was not with the ZL1. I can't remember how far apart those two cars were but we all know the outcome there. Ford and SVT's strategy is perfect right now and it has put them very much at the top.

darreng505

Established Member
And because of that other brands have very little idea what to prepare for. I don't see why anyone would expect Ford to disappoint after they just released the 13-14 GT500. They were very secretive with that car while Chevy was not with the ZL1. I can't remember how far apart those two cars were but we all know the outcome there. Ford and SVT's strategy is perfect right now and it has put them very much at the top.

Well, the ZL1 beat the GT500 in lap times[1]. And the 1LE beat the Boss 302[2] in lap times. So that's why I keep saying Ford is behind with their (former) offerings. Now the Z/28 will beat the ZL1 and the Z06 wil beat everything (all other points about those cars aside). I guess I'll wait til April but the fact is, Ford is behind and their performance cars have been surpassed so they will need to really step it up.

Yes, I know this off-topic from the thread and to those offended, I apologize for that. And yes, I am being impatient with Ford. I know they will deliver something, but its the timing I'm ruffled about.

[1] Lightning Lap 2013: Hot Cars, Hot Track, Hot Laps - - Car and Driver
[2] Lightning Lap 2012 - - Car and Driver

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Well, the ZL1 beat the GT500 in lap times[1]. And the 1LE beat the Boss 302[2] in lap times. So that's why I keep saying Ford is behind with their (former) offerings. Now the Z/28 will beat the ZL1 and the Z06 wil beat everything (all other points about those cars aside). I guess I'll wait til April but the fact is, Ford is behind and their performance cars have been surpassed so they will need to really step it up.

Yes, I know this off-topic from the thread and to those offended, I apologize for that. And yes, I am being impatient with Ford. I know they will deliver something, but its the timing I'm ruffled about.

[1] Lightning Lap 2013: Hot Cars, Hot Track, Hot Laps - - Car and Driver
[2] Lightning Lap 2012 - - Car and Driver

The GT500 vs ZL1 is debatable. The ZL1 clearly has some slight advantages in some areas, but it was pointed out unofficially that the GT500 actually topped the ZL1 on the Ring. Simple fact is that GM has been going for track times as their main advertising point. I fully believe they deliver on the Corvette but I think they fudge the hell out of the Camaros! I can believe that the Camaro 1LE will top the Boss and the Z28 topping the GT500 on a roadcourse because both those cars came out at a considerably later time so they had an easy benchmark. Before those two cars there was very little contest; overall the ZL1 was no contest to the GT500. The consumers and media chose the GT500 so Ford won easy there.

Ford and SVT simply has a better strategy with the Mustang vs the Camaro, but GM is pretty locked on with the Corvette!

darreng505

Established Member
I can see your points. I guess we can look at it like the old tortoise vs. the hare story. Chevy come out with these "one hit wonder" cars (and I agree Camaro's strategy is muddy) whereas Ford is looking to broader sales. And for that matter, Ford can learn from the publics evaluation on Chevy's cars and respond accordingly. It's sometimes good to be second...(in terms of releases)

germeezy1

Established Member
I can see your points. I guess we can look at it like the old tortoise vs. the hare story. Chevy come out with these "one hit wonder" cars (and I agree Camaro's strategy is muddy) whereas Ford is looking to broader sales. And for that matter, Ford can learn from the publics evaluation on Chevy's cars and respond accordingly. It's sometimes good to be second...(in terms of releases)

Unfortunately the opposite is happening because it is Ford that is now playing catch up as far as sales are concerned. So the idea that Ford has a better strategy is at best wrong, and at worst utter nonsense.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
If 3450lbs is true, I guess I can accept that. Still looking for that extra 70lbs to hit 3380lbs. Need that aluminum cradle...

When there is a GT500, I think it will come in just below Motor Trends 3800lbs... By 2017, hopefully those lightweight components make it to the car.

However, if projected sales are figured Worldwide, the Mustang could enjoy a budget like never before.

Ford's goal was 10% across the board, that would be about 360lbs if they are talking base models. If the base GT is around 3450, another 200lbs is close to 350 right? I can see that happening...

I also never initially figured in any weight gain from the '13-'14 era. I don't think Ford got a re-cert on the Curb and GVWR after MY13. Those stats were carried over from 2012. Chevy did this with the 2010 SS and are still using 2010 weights, it happens alot I guess. Kinda wish it didn't...

My 2011 GT weighed 3555 with full fluids and 50 miles to E. Brembo Pack, 401a leather... advertised at 3620lbs.

Unfortunately the opposite is happening because it is Ford that is now playing catch up as far as sales are concerned. So the idea that Ford has a better strategy is at best wrong, and at worst utter nonsense.
Man, your just beat-up, butt hurt and heartbroken over the z28 gettin' matched at the Ring aren't cha'? Playing catch up in sales? How about you compare profit margins 5th Gen vs. 5th Gen.? A million S197s have been sold in 10 years, 390,000 5th Gen Camaro's in 5... It won't make it to 10, it isn't good enough. The Mustang sold 190,000 2005's, 160,000 in 2006... 132,000 the year after. The Camaro still hasn't past the Mustang's 2007 sales numbers. The 5th Gen just had an 11% decrease in sales after a refresh... That is a bad strategy.

I agree with you about Ford playing catch up on handling though, regardless of Championships gained by the S197. They did use a solid axle and a MacP strut. Magazine wins are one thing, real competition is another. The 1LE had its ass handed to it by 7, count them SEVEN 5.0 GT's. They dropped out half way through the season, for two consecutive seasons. The 5.0 GT won the Runs Off's, where was the 1LE? 21st place...

You can hope the Alpha chassis will help, but I can tell you this brother... You can bet the Camaro will not have a 107 inch wheelbase. That is what the Corvette and Mustang use... It will probably stay where it is now or, where the M4 was placed. At a full size 110-111 inch. They will use the CTS chassis, not the ATS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread