2015 mustang weight

darreng505

Established Member
Magazine wins are one thing, real competition is another. The 1LE had its ass handed to it by 7, count them SEVEN 5.0 GT's. They dropped out half way through the season, for two consecutive seasons. The 5.0 GT won the Runs Off's, where was the 1LE? 21st place...

Where was this? Links please? Curious.

And hey, I'm not a Chevy guy but the Camaros did out-win, out-point the Mustangs in grand-am (GS)...also it bothers me there are Camaros in grand am GT class but no Mustangs.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member

And hey, I'm not a Chevy guy but the Camaros did out-win, out-point the Mustangs in grand-am (GS)...also it bothers me there are Camaros in grand am GT class but no Mustangs.
No sir, the Camaro did not Out-Win the Mustang anywhere...

The Mustang had 6 wins in 2010, another 4 in 2011 and it trickles out to 2s and 3s in '12, '13 and '14.

The Camaro didn't even get on the podium until its second season in GS. The Camaro had 6 wins total in 4 seasons last I checked, about 20 less than the Mustang since 2009.

You are probably thinking GT. Those are tube framed cars and not Camaro's at all.

Everything about recent Motorsport competition is on M6G. The Camaro has an awful track record... I have screen captures of season results on the z28 Assault thread, no need to follow links.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Do you know this for a fact Travis?

Pretty much.

I saw that and its only rumored to be an svt vehicle. I KNOW there will be svt vehicles. But right now none are produced and none are announced. Maybe abandoned was too harsh a word but we are definitely in limbo right now. Thats all I'm saying.

The two platforms that SVT has models on are both changing. SVT (in recent history) never releases their their model the same year that the platform changes. It's even debatable that they have ever done it because a Fox body and SN-95 are essentially the same car underneath.

What is the difference in weight between a IRS & Straight/Solid Axel? Not being smart, just curious.

About the only example I know you could really use as an apples to apples comparison is the 99-04 Cobra IRS to those models stick axle. If you count the control arms, quad shocks, etc. the difference is only about 50 pounds. On the new car it's anyone's guess what the IRS will weigh because the car was designed for it from the beginning.

Well, the ZL1 beat the GT500 in lap times[1]. And the 1LE beat the Boss 302[2] in lap times. So that's why I keep saying Ford is behind with their (former) offerings. Now the Z/28 will beat the ZL1 and the Z06 wil beat everything (all other points about those cars aside). I guess I'll wait til April but the fact is, Ford is behind and their performance cars have been surpassed so they will need to really step it up.

Yes, I know this off-topic from the thread and to those offended, I apologize for that. And yes, I am being impatient with Ford. I know they will deliver something, but its the timing I'm ruffled about.

[1] Lightning Lap 2013: Hot Cars, Hot Track, Hot Laps - - Car and Driver
[2] Lightning Lap 2012 - - Car and Driver

Am I going to have to put together a test to put this debate to an end?

Unfortunately the opposite is happening because it is Ford that is now playing catch up as far as sales are concerned. So the idea that Ford has a better strategy is at best wrong, and at worst utter nonsense.

Not all sales are equal. As the fine Mr. Pill note, the Mustang is immensely more profitable on a per unit basis.

germeezy1

Established Member
Most of you have no clue that GM put the majority if not all of the Camaro's development cost as a charge against Holden, and for all intents and purposes the Camaro is also amazingly profitable. None of that matters though when your competition builds a far worse car , and you have the better car and reputation yet struggle in sales against them.

germeezy1

Established Member

The Mustang had 6 wins in 2010, another 4 in 2011 and it trickles out to 2s and 3s in '12, '13 and '14.

The Camaro didn't even get on the podium until its second season in GS. The Camaro had 6 wins total in 4 seasons last I checked, about 20 less than the Mustang since 2009.

You are probably thinking GT. Those are tube framed cars and not Camaro's at all.

Everything about recent Motorsport competition is on M6G. The Camaro has an awful track record... I have screen captures of season results on the z28 Assault thread, no need to follow links.

Do you ever quit rambling, and do you have a clue what you are talking about?

MANUFACTURER (CONTI - GS) 2013
Pos Points Engine Manf
1 356 Porsche
2 312 Chevrolet
3 299 BMW
4 294 Ford
5 294 Aston Martin
6 162 Nissan
7 4 Subaru
8 3 Dodge

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member

You are correct, and imagine if you will that he was condescending even though you were correct.

darreng505

Established Member

Well, anyway, here's the 2013 Season results. Read what you want into it.

Continental Tire

DRIVER (CONTI - GS)
Pos Points Driver
1 321 Matt Plumb
1 321 Nick Longhi
2 289 John Edwards
2 289 Matt Bell
3 251 Charles Espenlaub
4 243 Jade Buford
4 243 Scott Maxwell
5 233 Mark Boden
6 230 Jim Norman
7 219 Billy JohnsonFull Standings

TEAM (CONTI - GS)
Pos Points No Team
1 321 13 Rum Bum Racing
2 289 9 Stevenson Motorsports
3 251 48 Fall-Line Motorsports
4 243 55 Multimatic Motorsports
5 233 46 Fall-Line Motorsports
6 230 38 BGB Motorsports
7 219 61 Roush Performance
8 218 158 Dempsey/Miller Racing
9 212 01 CKS Autosport
10 209 96 Turner MotorsportFull Standings

MANUFACTURER (CONTI - GS)
Pos Points Engine Manf
1 356 Porsche
2 312 Chevrolet
3 299 BMW
4 294 Ford
5 294 Aston Martin
6 162 Nissan
7 4 Subaru
8 3 Dodge

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Most of you have no clue that GM put the majority if not all of the Camaro's development cost as a charge against Holden, and for all intents and purposes the Camaro is also amazingly profitable. None of that matters though when your competition builds a far worse car , and you have the better car and reputation yet struggle in sales against them.

Isn't Holden part of GM and any "charge against Holden" still overhead that GM bears, impacting profitability? Can you elaborate?

germeezy1

Established Member
What say your thePill? Are you typing out a 3 page narcissistic answer to refute the truth with your own version of it?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
What say your thePill? Are you typing out a 3 page narcissistic answer to refute the truth with your own version of it?
How about you flash the entire Camaro efforts since 2009?

Count Mustang wins vs. Camaro in GS, go ahead, I'll wait.

Oh, by the way, congratulations Team Camaro on your very first, second place finish overall after 5 seasons in Grand Am.

:loser:

Edit: I can't count on this guy to post wins, he will fowl it up...

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
2009 Season, the Mustang was still using the Cammer and this was the Camaro's Maiden Season. BMW won the Championship if I remember correctly.

Mustang EDIT Mustang won the GS championship in 2009
Four 1st place finishes
Three 2nd place finishes
Four 3rd place finishes

Camaro
Zero 1st
Zero 2nd
Zero 3rd

Great season... 2010 coming next, the 5.0's Maiden Season.

2010 Season, the Coyote has taken over and Multimatic is engineering the Boss 302 (lol at the z28). The prototype Boss 302 had two 4th place finishes.

Mustang
Three 1st place finishes
Three 2nd place finishes

Camaro
One 2nd place finish

Another good year for the Mustang
2011 Season. The Boss 302's Maiden Season, there is still a Coyote GT on the track if I remember correctly.

Mustang
Four 1st place finishes
Four 2nd place finishes
Three 3rd place finishes

Camaro
Two 1st place finishes
One 2nd place finishes

The Camaro scores it's first victory after 3 seasons, the Mustang and M3 receive heavy restrictions in 2012, halfway through the season.

2012 Season, the Boss comes on too strong and gets it's wings clipped in June (SCCA had restrictions as well).

Mustang
Two 1st place finishes
Two 2nd place finishes

Camaro
Two 1st place finishes
Three 2nd place finishes
Two 3rd place finishes

2013 Season... Most teams have left the S197 at this point, Roush is running 3 cars. This is the Camaro's best season and, it finished 2nd overall.

Mustang
Two 1st place finishes
a 2nd and a 3rd

Camaro
Two 1st place finishes
Three 2nd place finishes
One 3rd

15 Mustang wins vs. 6 Camaro, a Mustang Championship, 25 podium finishes...

The first Camaro win happened halfway through it's 3rd season, I'm sorry, that is pathetic... Please see SCCA GTS where Paul Brown tied PJ's Most Wins in a Season (SIX 1st place finishes). Please see SCCA GTS where Paul Brown tied PJ's Most Wins in a Season (SIX 1st place finishes). If you missed it.

The 5th Gen Camaro has had only 6 wins since it's first season in 2009... That is awful, no wonder Chevy isn't offering factory support,

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Isn't Holden part of GM and any "charge against Holden" still overhead that GM bears, impacting profitability? Can you elaborate?
He can't elaborate... I guess it's just going to be a copy and paste platform then? No effort put forth on changing anything I take it? At least, that's how he seems to be putting it. If Chevy would have made a dedicated platform for the Camaro instead of another hand me down.

Can we really consider a sports coupe "World Class" when it is a derivative of a sedan? Then, it was given to Caddy, I guess they spent zero dollar as well. I can see where this platform is going to be useful. So, from Holden, to Caddy then to the Camaro. To even be considered a World class effort, the platform should originate from the sports coupe don't cha' think?

Does anyone in here think the Camaro will share a wheelbase with the Corvette? This guys dancin' around the Alpha platform but doesn't know if it will be the ATS wheelbase or the CTS... You need backseats in the Camaro... I just don't see a 107 inch wheelbase from the Camaro, again, the Camaro will be a larger car this generation.

The Sled Runners used on the ATS platform cannot support a V8... They will need to gain some major weight in this area in order to do so. The CTS platform can already support V8 engine weights.

First off bud, if you gotta post season results that only show a 2nd place finish in the standings, you have to question whether to post it at all. The Mustang hasn't slouched in GS since BMW came on board. If it wasn't for teams prepping for the 2015 swap, the results could have been better in 2013... Next season will be even worse due to the late release. The 5.0 and eventually the Boss 302 were put under such heavy restriction, teams in the SCCA protested. Oh well, that is organized Motorsport. The protest worked somewhat...

Like I said, it only sounds like sweet rambling nothings to you. The reason being ultimately because you are uninformed on the topic being discussed.

Next thing, the ego bullsh!t... I only play the ego when @ssholes are abound. If any of your post had any useful details, I would be inquisitive... If they are speculative, I will usually speculate with you... If your throwing a tantrum because you feel your post become impotent with my counter-arguments, suck it up... Your letting yourself get way too defensive when the Mustang's weight is the topic. If you feel the GT could possibly rival the Corvette on numbers alone, don't let it bother you... I personally do not think the GT will be faster than the Stingray. It will be compared in magazines for sure, I don't think the GT will be sweeping the Corvette do you? The Mustang has it's place, America's Sports Coupe... Which is always naturally slotted below a Sports Car.

What if Ford gets the GT-R Package down to Z51 weight with LT1 output?

The Camaro is soooooooooooooo close to becoming irrelevant. Once Ford gets all nuzzled in, as close to the Stingray as possible, the Camaro will be literally stuck in 2nd without the ability to counter. Chevy will never let a $40,000 dollar Camaro push into the $60,000 Corvette's performance range. That is a HUGE issue they will eventually have to deal with.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
So in closing Chevrolet did finish ahead of Ford which is the exact opposite of what you claimed or did I miss something?

Lemers

Established Member
So in closing Chevrolet did finish ahead of Ford which is the exact opposite of what you claimed or did I miss something?

From what I read and I'm not an expert... Ford built such a great car the Camero couldn't compete so the rules were changed to limit the Ford, so Chevy could compete.

It seems like Chevy has bragging rights to me...

germeezy1

Established Member
From what I read and I'm not an expert... Ford built such a great car the Camero couldn't compete so the rules were changed to limit the Ford, so Chevy could compete.

It seems like Chevy has bragging rights to me...

The logistics are irrelevant, and I simply proved that he flat out lied. When you tie your pride into what you drive you find that fanboi rants are often used to justify its superiority. I don't personally do that so I don't find a need to spend hours on fanboi rants.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
G, they had to stuff midgets in the trunks of the 5.bros so the camaros could even see them on a lap.

therefore with scientistic deduction. 5.0>GM global…..and even more so now that they put a womenz in control. LOL

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
The logistics are irrelevant, and I simply proved that he flat out lied. When you tie your pride into what you drive you find that fanboi rants are often used to justify its superiority. I don't personally do that so I don't find a need to spend hours on fanboi rants.

The results I posted above do not lie, that is from the Grand Am website. As I originally said, the Camaro BLOWS in Grand Am and Road Racing in General.

Pretty sure my original point was the Camaro had only 6 wins in Grand Am? Right? That was my point?

Is the Camaro Out-Winning the Mustang? You post results that show both Camaro and Mustang not winning the Championship or Manufacturers.

...READ THE MANS POST, HE SAID THE CAMARO WAS "OUT-WINNING"

THAT IS INCORRECT. We were talking about Race wins and you posted information that has ZERO info on wins. You add very little to any topic let alone one you have no clue about. You didn't even look at the 2013 race results...

Furthermore, the 5th Gen Camaro was just plain awful in Grand Am. As was mentioned above, gradually, the Boss and M3 were restricted to allow the slower cars a chance.

So, you essentially missed everything my original post was getting at. The Camaro SUCKS in Grand Am... You posting the Camaro's 2nd Place efforts is clinging to life don't ya' think? If that is all you have to disprove my "Camaro Blows in Grand Am" argument, I would have to say thank you. This further proves my point.

I think someones just upset over the negative press the 5th Gen seems to inherit. I also think you have a personal issue with thePill due to the attention his hate/rant post get... It wasn't too long ago you were strutting around, ego included I'm sure... On topics like the Ring. How little we must feel in front of the man that said I told you so.

Any thoughts on a 111 inch wheelbase for the 6th Gen Camaro? If the Mustang and Corvette fails to lose weight, Do you think the Camaro will drop weight? I doubt it, especially if the wheelbase continues to be a full-size car.

The only "lie" or detail that was false is the 6 wins in 2010... That was SCCA GTS in 2011... Not Grand Am...

Did the Camaro not reach the podium until the 2nd season? Yep...
Did the Mustang have twice the wins in the same period of time? Yep...
Who won a Championship?
Did the Camaro only have 6 wins in 4 seasons? I was wrong on that, it was 6 wins in 5 seasons...

Your argument here is invalid because you are invalid... Your argument is also pathetic, a limp wristed attempt to prove the Camaro, relevant ...

Last edited:

mustangletback

Established Member
The results I posted above do not lie, that is from the Grand Am website. As I originally said, the Camaro BLOWS in Grand Am and Road Racing in General.

Pretty sure my original point was the Camaro had only 6 wins in Grand Am? Right? That was my point?

Is the Camaro Out-Winning the Mustang? You post results that show both Camaro and Mustang not winning the Championship or Manufacturers.

...READ THE MANS POST, HE SAID THE CAMARO WAS "OUT-WINNING"

THAT IS INCORRECT. We were talking about Race wins and you posted information that has ZERO info on wins. You add very little to any topic let alone one you have no clue about. You didn't even look at the 2013 race results...

Furthermore, the 5th Gen Camaro was just plain awful in Grand Am. As was mentioned above, gradually, the Boss and M3 were restricted to allow the slower cars a chance.

So, you essentially missed everything my original post was getting at. The Camaro SUCKS in Grand Am... You posting the Camaro's 2nd Place efforts is clinging to life don't ya' think? If that is all you have to disprove my "Camaro Blows in Grand Am" argument, I would have to say thank you. This further proves my point.

I think someones just upset over the negative press the 5th Gen seems to inherit. I also think you have a personal issue with thePill due to the attention his hate/rant post get... It wasn't too long ago you were strutting around, ego included I'm sure... On topics like the Ring. How little we must feel in front of the man that said I told you so.

Any thoughts on a 111 inch wheelbase for the 6th Gen Camaro? If the Mustang and Corvette fails to lose weight, Do you think the Camaro will drop weight? I doubt it, especially if the wheelbase continues to be a full-size car.

The only "lie" or detail that was false is the 6 wins in 2010... That was SCCA GTS in 2011... Not Grand Am...

Did the Camaro not reach the podium until the 2nd season? Yep...
Did the Mustang have twice the wins in the same period of time? Yep...
Who won a Championship?
Did the Camaro only have 6 wins in 4 seasons? I was wrong on that, it was 6 wins in 5 seasons...

Your argument here is invalid because you are invalid... Your argument is also pathetic, a limp wristed attempt to prove the Camaro, relevant ...
you are right about the rules being changed so that the hippo CRAPMARO could try to win some races.the scca dam near choked out the mustang because it was killing chevy.Justin Bell the mustang driver talked a little bit about what was going on in scca on a youtube video.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Back on the weight subject.
Last night, I was reading an article in the new MMFF magazine which stated the 2015 mustang has an aluminum hood (I know my '12GT500 has this) and the front fenders are aluminum. Are the front fenders a change to aluminum from steel? I'm fairly certain I have steel front fenders on my '12. I would at least expect a slight weight reduction and better weight distribution.
Any other areas where aluminum has replace steel?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Back on the weight subject.
Last night, I was reading an article in the new MMFF magazine which stated the 2015 mustang has an aluminum hood (I know my '12GT500 has this) and the front fenders are aluminum. Are the front fenders a change to aluminum from steel? I'm fairly certain I have steel front fenders on my '12. I would at least expect a slight weight reduction and better weight distribution.
Any other areas where aluminum has replace steel?

None that they have said...

I wanted a weight loss, and for the most part, the '15 Mustang got lighter. But, the new safety equipment that has been weighed will bring the 2015 GT pretty much the same weight as the 2014 GT. Maybe slightly heavier but not much. The engine cradle needs to go aluminum.

I guess there is still a long-shot it could be lighter, even by just a little.

Users who are viewing this thread