2016 SVT Mustang transmission

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I agree with you, but it's not always as simple as just because someone else has it means we can have it.

That was not the implication. It is about keeping up with technology and its implementation, a virtual necessity in light of efficiency targeted legislation.

And scale will benefit all manufacturers in the same way the TR6060 (etc) transmission did before this one. Both Dodge and Ford will have their own variants. The only question is how long will it take?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Those are some deep ODs, not to mention 3 of them. The only good thing about the MT82 is the gear spacing, its close.

I think for Ford to use the 7speed they would have to put a lot of gear into the back end of the car, which they could do, if it ends up being an NA motor. 3.73s ala boss and opt on GT, those cars only get 22-23mpg highway with that gear.

The current trend has been toward less gear, and if you have ever driven a 13-14 with the 3.31, 28" oe tires, and .5 OD, its a whole new world. You have to drop a gear around town almost all the time if you don't want to lug the motor. I don't mean like 1500rpm either, i mean like 1100rpm lugging.

the 2015 Zo6 will have a option of a 7speed automatic trans.
I would believe Ford will also offer as a option a 7 speed Automatic Trans.,also.
I would have ordered it on my 2014 Shelby if only Ford offered it is as one of the options for it.
Wonder if we will see a Boss 351 or a Boss 429 in the up coming years in the new body style.
I sure hope Ford brings eigther one of these Boss back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The current trend has been toward less gear, and if you have ever driven a 13-14 with the 3.31, 28" oe tires, and .5 OD, its a whole new world. You have to drop a gear around town almost all the time if you don't want to lug the motor.

Six hundred and sixty two horsepower tends to do that.:uh oh:

The general consensus is that the '16 world beater won't have as much power. It is also allegedly another high revving powerplant. So whether the 'not yet revealed' rear axle ratio runs counter to the line of thinking that SVT engineers ran with on the '13/'14 remains to be seen...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
With the current Viper having a GG tax, and the next Z06 almost certainly will also, what does everyone think Ford's approach will be? Maintain no GG tax, even if that means sacrifices in some select areas to do so, or a no compromises performance car with a tax?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I think with the engines and tech Ford has at it's disposal I believe they can offer a car with great performance without the GG tax, I think a 3.55 gear would be perfect for the next hi-po model. I don't think we will see 662 from the factory. I think an even 600 with a little less weight and much better handling would be the ticket.

I also am a purist at heart, I prefer the top end models to be manuals and I hate seeing all the car manufacturers go away from it. I am not against a auto option, just make it a good one and keep the manual option. Remember it's a mustang, the roots are drag racing. I think a auto option for the drag guys is ideal while others who just drive prefer a manual.

Back on topic, if what TOB posted is correct then I am ok with that. I like my tr6060, so an upgraded model is welcomed.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
8 speed auto similar to what's driving the Jaguar XKR with the supercharged 5.0

I believe Ford still Supplies these parts to Tata Motors? Not sure on that one?

I'd take an auto over a 6 speed trans any day. Especially at 600+ hp.

BahnRunner

Established Member
Interesting you say that. They're already offering it with the lesser models. It wouldn't be too hard to add a few upgrades and put paddle shifters in. Hopefully this will be an option.

I am big fan of rowing my own gears, however if they really wanna compete with some other makers, then yea high performance auto should be an option.

As long as they keep the weight around 3700lbs, it will be better than the current shelby. Plus weight balance is important too

One of the main reasons I got out of my M3 and into the GT500 was the paddle shifters. On the track the dsg is hands down a faster car than the 6spd manual but it is so damn boring to drive. I really miss rowing gears. I will never get another paddle shift car again.

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
With the current Viper having a GG tax, and the next Z06 almost certainly will also, what does everyone think Ford's approach will be? Maintain no GG tax, even if that means sacrifices in some select areas to do so, or a no compromises performance car with a tax?

seeing the proportion of guys who ordered their '13/'14 GT500 equipped close to $70K, and considering how the '15 Z06 is expected to begin close to at least $80K, I don't know how much of a factor a GG "tax" really is at this price level. Vipers, I see stacking up at dealers I never even saw one at before, but that's just generally what happens once the $100K range is entered. I doubt GG's a large contributor to that. I don't think many people, if any at all, expect a '16 or '17 Top Tier Mustang to not rise at least some amount in price. how many guys would have passed on a '13/'14 GT500 if it cost $1K more?

I know some people hate autos, but fact is, they add to sales. In the case of the '15 Z06 based on polls I've seen on Vette forums, by at least 50%. How much they'd add to Mustang sales may well differ, but nonetheless, it'll add.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Damn, I guess I've missed something these past ten years. I thought Tremec was owned by Ford but I guess Mulally sold off Ford's stake at some point. They're owned by KUO group in Mexico. Which might explain the Mexico sightings while the '13s were in development.

Tob has to be right, the 7-speed is in the base model Vette so I doubt Ford will come out with a 6-speed. So 5.2 flat-plane with DI and an 8k rpm redline and 580 hp N/A with a much better suspension.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I saw a video thats floating on FB of the next "svt" car in camo driving around L.A. it was definitely a V8 but did not sound like a 5.0 motor

tasdevl

Established Member
Whatever manual trans they put in it, please for the love of god Ford make sure it does not grind the 1-2 shift. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread