2017 ZL1 Beat the 350R Around the Ring.

phoenix64

Established Member
BTW, that's obviously not a production spec (read: stock) car. Just like the last time with the Z/28, it has a roll cage and race seats and, no doubt, race rubber. He was going through some of those corners well over 140MPH! I don't think any street tire is going to be able to accomplish that unless the car has some serious down force. I still wouldn't mind having a new ZL1, though. It definitely looks more composed than the GT350(R), even in the pre-production press cars.
Ha, sorry I just missed your post.

My bone stock 2012 GT did 140mph+ at the ring on 400TW all season 235/50-18 P Zero's(it was a very gentle corner).

I'd argue the zl1 really makes up time on the straights, it rolls onto the front straight about 2 mph faster than the old Z28 (in the rain), but it's 20+mph faster by the end.
It's min corner speeds on the dry portions of the track are significantly lower(5-6 mph in places) than the old Z28.
The data on the two laps looks about as you would expect for a car on less aggressive tires but with a lot more power, and a huge gearing/shifting advantage.

2.39 to hear us laughing at 140mph, not even trying.
[video=youtube;hjsJEEGgsmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsJEEGgsmY[/video]

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I will take a 350R over a ZL1 anyday of the week. NA>F.I . Power isn't everything for my driving experience

What is your driving experience? Just curious.
Because the ZL1 will beat the GT350R on a track, (as seen here), and drag strip.

fangstang

Established Member
Porsche and Nissan are notorious for hooking up "stock" cars for the 'ring.

stangfreak

Established Member
I just want a GT500 with a 10 speed auto, that's all I know.

The video is straight from Chevrolet's youtube account, uploaded today.

Credit is owed where credit is due. They made that mufugga work.

"Lapping the Nürburgring Nordschleife in a blistering 7:29.60, the new 2017 Camaro ZL1’s lap time at the world’s most challenging track is 11.67 seconds quicker than the previous ZL1’s fast lap."

I like the zl1 but I agree. Ford needs to step up there auto's. I know peple have gone 8's with the stock transmission and what not. But they need to compete with GM now with there trans

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Curious as to what a manual gearbox ZL1 vs GT350R times would look like...as great as that 10 Spd automatic is, I still think a stickshift in that car would be fun as hell.

UBNZO6D

Life-long Hot Rodder
Established Member
ZL1 is bad ass, but this beautiful N/A 7.0L will still play me to sleep every night.
[video=youtube;kz70cXFrQ5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz70cXFrQ5A[/video]

I got off on the video also BUT the ZL 1 was 20 mph faster in the straight.

Greg

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I like the zl1 but I agree. Ford needs to step up there auto's. I know peple have gone 8's with the stock transmission and what not. But they need to compete with GM now with there trans

Pretty sure this is the a10 that ford and chevy designed together so ford does and will have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
2017 ZL1 10-speed Auto Runs the Ring in under 7.30

[video=youtube;FrFnrcpBj5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFnrcpBj5k[/video]

Wow! Wondering where Ford is on the response...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
whoever compares 'ring times' has some serious mental issues... the variables that can take place even on the same day can be huge. Especially considering there is no official 350R time, AND even if it was, it was 3 seconds like 2 years ago... LOL this should be in smackdown.

for the record I actually like the new zl1 more than the 350R

Correct!

How has no one called BS at the weight savings of the race seat?

Because of speed reached on the track roll bars are installed for safety more than offset weight savings. If they are playing by the "non ring rules" meaning they could also have body in white with 200lb weight savings.

I would assume all the manufacturers do it lol. Race rubber and some behind the scenes weight savings is probably guaranteed, no matter the manufacturer.

Only the ones with marketing times. Shaved tires and tunes that can't be seen.

Porsche and Nissan are notorious for hooking up "stock" cars for the 'ring.

Of the 3 Porsche is the best. Nissan and GM and Porsche ran marketing times and also had their cars run by ring rat from sport auto. Manufacturer marketing times for Nissan and GM were 12 seconds slower. The Porsche time was half that. Sig difference much?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
There might be more to that auto GT-350 write up than just a rumor and about time never could stand the manual only for specialty Mustang strategy that they had for the last 40+ years as it left a lot of sales open to the competition and not making them. If the GT-350 does go auto I see 5-7 of them being sold for every single manual one.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
There might be more to that auto GT-350 write up than just a rumor and about time never could stand the manual only for specialty Mustang strategy that they had for the last 40+ years as it left a lot of sales open to the competition and not making them. If the GT-350 does go auto I see 5-7 of them being sold for every single manual one.

In all fairness, it has only really been the past decade that automatics have caught up and surpassed manuals in acceleration. The term "slush box" is still fresh in a lot of people's minds, plus the days where the the difference between an automatic and manual Mustang was about one second slower in the 1/4 weren't too long ago. Even then, a lot of car people are still fervently defending traditional manuals, to the point where manual shifting transmissions with automated clutches (dual-clutch, etc.) are lumped in as "automatics" (even when they have more in common with a traditional manual).

SCalla1384

Established Member
Chevy is doing a much better job than Ford is. The camaro SS are whooping GTs and are competing with the GT350s. Now the Z28 is rolling the GT350R. I'd like to see a 1LE vs a GT350. Not to mention, the 1LE is just an option... not a special production car or anything.

What is the MSRP of the Z28?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
why is this even a suprise to anybody? its 600+hp has a blower is newer and lighter then a shelby the shelby is down about what 120hp , the gt350 is what 5.2 liter n/a 526hp and 3800lbs, the camaro is what 640hp 3500lbs ? and it was built to compete with the gt500, wait for the next gt500 or revised gt350. I read the next run of gt350's will offer a 10 speed auto in the next gt500 and gt350r, that should make the next gt500 a 10 second car stock.

Users who are viewing this thread