2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Explained

bluey lewis

Kinda Like Guys with Big Junk
Established Member
If I could I would daily that gray one. That thing is so sick. I give props to Dodge for this car, and they have a pretty mean line up if you ask me. Very exciting times right now.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Best marketing ever for a muscle car that is a hellcat with flares, 315s, and few more ponies on pump gas.

Did you even watch the video? There are a lot of differences between the Hellcat and the Demon. Not just flares, tires and a few more ponies. Smh..

I completely understand where Dodge is coming from with this car and the niche market they are targeting. My whole point is that in that promo video they act like this was some impossible engineering feat building a car consisting of a huge 6.2L V8 with a large supercharger and a 8-speed automatic transmission that has huge tq #'s and does great down a drag strip. The reason other manufacturers have not done this sooner is because there is very little market for a single purpose vehicle like so and I guarantee you the warranty is not going to cover much of anything, especially when they inspect the wheel wells and see lots of little rubber pieces melted on the fender liners. Besides which, do you really believe this 4500lb vehicle will run 9's on 93 octane pump gas and stock tires? Maybe I'm just being skeptical, but I really do not see that happening. For one, the car in that video looks like it had slicks and skinnies at the drag strip. I can appreciate this car for what it is which is just a drag queen. I guess I just look for more in a vehicle these days and want something with a little more practicality and all around performance, that's all.

Uhhh... the car comes with skinnies and drag radials from the factory.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone made a comment about there not being a market for this car? That definitely holds shaky in my opinion. The Hellcat sure was a hit and still is. There isn't a market for this car for the average middle class guy with a family, but I don't think that is the group of people Dodge is marketing the Demon to, it's the higher working class, "I have more money than I know what to do with" class.

I will stick with my 2004 Mustang Cobra, and make it a Demon destroyer.

All in all, Dodge is building some cool stuff! Alot better than the Plymouth Prowler or the PT Cruiser.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone have the skinny on what the production numbers are projected to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Have to give Dodge props, at least they built this thing.
Pretty slick video also:
840 hp ( omit race fuel )
9.65 E.T. ( omit professional driver & prepped track @ night )
86K base price...................but no one can buy one @ that price !!

slow poke

Established Member
Nobody cares about ford, this is about the Demon. A factory street legal drag car that is not as fast as they claim and needs a hero run with bigs and littles, race gas, and weight reduction. Again, claims to be the quickest production car.

It will lose to dedicated road race cars at the strip under the same conditions. Cars like the 911 turbo S, any McLaren, P1, 918, etc...

Yeah they all cost a lot more but the thing is they don't give a crap about running a quarter mile and they're still going to beat this thing that's supposed to be the fastest quarter-mile car from the factory.

That's not a win for Dodge that's good marketing having people believe this thing is something it isn't

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Where are the actually times for this thing? All the YouTube videos I saw of it running don't show times.
When the magazines ran it at a Dodge event, I think the fastest anyone saw was a 10.9 except for the professional driver who went a little further into the 10s.

I have no doubt owners will be able to replicate 9s in this thing, it's just going to take the right track and the right air.

Very fast.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Nobody cares about ford, this is about the Demon. A factory street legal drag car that is not as fast as they claim and needs a hero run with bigs and littles, race gas, and weight reduction. Again, claims to be the quickest production car.

It will lose to dedicated road race cars at the strip under the same conditions. Cars like the 911 turbo S, any McLaren, P1, 918, etc...

Yeah they all cost a lot more but the thing is they don't give a crap about running a quarter mile and they're still going to beat this thing that's supposed to be the fastest quarter-mile car from the factory.

That's not a win for Dodge that's good marketing having people believe this thing is something it isn't

Are you seriously comparing spare no expense million dollar cars against a mass produced car that was launched 8+ years ago?

Dodge has definitely hit a grand slam if that is the case.

And stop with comparing this thing against a damn Cobra Jet. To argue it is beyond retarded. Why not bring a pro mod into the conversation while we're at it.

slow poke

Established Member
Dodge is made a claim that it's the quickest car. So it should get compared to all cars in a straight line. It should also beat all cars in a straight line at the drag strip under the same conditions and it will not. Therefore just marketing crap.

A Porsche 911 Turbo S and a McLaren 720s do not cost $1000000. They were not designed to run in a straight line solely but will beat the car there was designed to run in a straight line only and beat all other cars.

The actual cost the demon is over $100,000 to with dealer markup that makes it even less of a deal.

Going in a straight line it's not difficult. Add power, add tires, add cookie cutter suspension setup from whatever company, reduce weight if you feel so inclined. Instant 10 second car

Zl11le is a much more technical Masterpiece than this piece of s***.

Put drag tires a race gas tune and remove the seats from the zl11le. I bet the time will be pretty close to the demons

Zemedici

Established Member

You're comparing a DODGE to cars made by mclaren, Porsche, etc

And it's not a win?

Some of you guys are delusional bahahahaha

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If you haven't driven the Dodge lineup with at least a V8 option then you can't really talk. I used to not care about any of their cars but then I spent some time in just a Charger RT and then a Challenger RT and I had a blast! They really know how to make it fun even though you aren't in a street dominating vehicle. The Durango RT however is ho-hum to me, and I have only been in the regular V8 G Cherokees which are nice but I doubt either compare to any of the SRT8s. My buddy has a Scat Pack Challenger in our shop right now though and it is awesome, rips off the line, and cheap for what you get.

I've driven the new Camaro SS and it is fastest, but the worst driving experience. The Mustang GT is one of the best balanced but it feels like the safe bet. The Challenger is big and heavy, but it is loud and hauls ass and it puts a smile on your face. I can only imagine what the Hellcats are like.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kiohtee

Established Member
How many of you here doubting the Demon have ever drag raced? Now how many of you have done it with a 9-second capable car?

Do you realize how damn near perfect the air and track have to be to squeeze out a 9-second pass with a car that is only 9-second capable? I don't blame Dodge one second for using the best time they were able to manage after 2,478 passes (using a random number here).

If a Demon owner can't manage at least a 10.20 out of this car in cool weather at a track like Darlington (a usually well-prepped 1/4), it's either a track or driver error.

If I was a business man with expendable Demon money, but otherwise not a car guy, I'd buy one in a second to thrash around in.

SirShaun

Established Member
I can appreciate it. The unveiling was awesome. Left pretty good on stage lol. When was the last time GM or Ford did something this exciting? I'll wait... ZL1 is dick nasty nevermind, Ford slacking. I guess Ford did build a handful of v6 supercars that only a select few will ever get to experience.

Ford is selling hopes and dreams, while Dodge and Chevy are selling performance lmao.

Last edited:

slow poke

Established Member
Dodge has made a claim as the quickest production car. So should it not be compared to all other production cars regardless of price? Or is it production cars costly equal or less than?

It's really not hard to go fast in a straight line. There are proven documented setups for any current capable car. Then do your passes, learn the nuance of your specific car and the shit is repeatable.

All that said I think the car is awesome overall and the power, price, and performance is great for the MSRP. It pushes boundaries in the right direction.

My problem is there claim which will be hard to reproduce and the fact that it will lose to other stock cars are the strip who don't make a dumb claim like quickest production vehicle.

It should roll of the factory floor with no mods or alterations and run a 9.9x

Kiohtee

Established Member
And it will, provided the track, DA and driver is there. That's the three most important parts of the equation when considering a 9-second pass. What don't you understand about that?

And as far as "it's Dodge claiming to be the fastest production car" argument. No sweetheart, it's a fact.

slow poke

Established Member
How do facts feel when your a Demon owner lined up on the strip against an Exotic who you've been masturbating to thought of beating since you got your Demon and you lose.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
How do facts feel when your a Demon owner lined up on the strip against an Exotic who you've been masturbating to thought of beating since you got your Demon and you lose.

And what happens if it wins?

The problem is you are arguing hypotheticals as facts.

slow poke

Established Member
It should win every ****ing time all things being equal without gross driver error. It's the quickest production car ever! But I see no times on the videos when it runs the 1/4. Its a step in the right direction not the coming of Christ.

Users who are viewing this thread