2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Duramax Diesel | MotorWeek Road Test

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Cummins was originally for the Toyota Tundra and even GM was in talks about using it the next generation Hummer H2.

Actually, it was originally for Dodge, or at least in its early initial stages of development.

At the time, I had a few family members in engineering at Cummins, one being a lead engineer over fuel systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Actually, it was originally for Dodge, or at least in its early initial stages of development.

At the time, I had a few family members in engineering at Cummins, one being a lead engineer over fuel systems.

That maybe true, but I know 2007/2008 Toyota was planning for the new Tundra to ramp up to 300k a year and to expand to include the Cummins V8 with a quasi HD version. Ultimately that's what Nissan did.

Hummer's (GM) next generation was in development. Plan was to pivot and fill the void left by the H1 and make up for the marketing Miss-Steps of the Gen 1 H2.

New H2 was going to be significantly revamped to be more aggressive, more off-road oriented and they wanted a V8 that could fit the light duty Tahoe chassis. Truck would have also been a Quasi-HD using HD components on a LD frame.

Needless to say, Hummer got axed, Tundra never took off and the Cummins V8 is kinda of a turd.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I'm seriously not impressed with these new light duty diesels.

That thing barely beats my company daily 3.3L XLT in towing and matches the combined mileage I've been getting, with a heavy foot in it. Given the cost of diesel......hard pass on light duty truck diesels, but still going for the oil burner option when we get the Super Duty.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I can't pick out gear drive noise on any the Big 3 larger diesels.

I believe that up until this year, the Cummins has always had gear driven camshafts. Can't say it was any louder than what Ford or GM had at the time, and was infinitely more reliable.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I believe that up until this year, the Cummins has always had gear driven camshafts. Can't say it was any louder than what Ford or GM had at the time, and was infinitely more reliable.

Cummins still has gears, they did change the cut of them though.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I guess the 2021 model isn’t going to be much better...

2a6e74a7a2a1c66b1042f794fd1ba46e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread